Mod on Atman CS-400CIRV Chiller

Cedric

• SRC Member

Hi to all users of ATMAN chillers.

As a user myself, I'm sure you will all agree with me that our chillers cut in too often for our liking. <_< ( although it does maintain the temperature rather preciously)

What happen was I used poor brother lightningstrike as a test subject :rolleyes:

Using an external 3 digit temperature controller that allows heater and chiller function control, time delay and temp differential, we stripped the chiller apart and rewired the innerts. We are proud to say it works!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

So now bro lightningstrike has an atman chiller with an external controller, whose temperature probe is in the main tank. This will allow accurate measurement of the water temp. The chiller cuts in alot less often and you can easily program the delta as you like.

This is to let fellow reefers know it can be done quite easily so why not try it yourself? :)

Comments are welcome!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to forget that the external temp controller has a function to calibrate the temp sensor using a correction function. The temp probe, i believe is fully water proof too. Time Delay function can be programmed to 20 mins delay. Delta is in units of 0.1 for rather precised control. Nice piece of work there Cedric!!! :) Now my chiller instead of running once for 5 mins, every 15 mins....... with a delta of 0.5 degrees set, my chiller runs approx. 15 mins every 1.5 to 2 hrs...... :P

will do a full report on the performance of the chiller with the external thermostat controller soon.... look out for it here!!! :D

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
Not to forget that the external temp controller has a function to calibrate the temp sensor using a correction function. The temp probe, i believe is fully water proof too. Time Delay function can be programmed to 20 mins delay. Delta is in units of 0.1 for rather precised control. Nice piece of work there Cedric!!! :) Now my chiller instead of running once for 5 mins, every 15 mins....... with a delta of 0.5 degrees set, my chiller runs approx. 15 mins every 1.5 to 2 hrs...... :P

will do a full report on the performance of the chiller with the external thermostat controller soon.... look out for it here!!! :D

Hi lightning, where did you get that temp. probe and how much? Is it complicated to mod into the ATman chiller? Can arrange to go down your place to have a look or I get the temp. probe controller you help me mod?

Eric

• SRC Member
Hi to all users of ATMAN chillers.

As a user myself, I'm sure you will all agree with me that our chillers cut in too often for our liking. <_< ( although it does maintain the temperature rather preciously)

What happen was I used poor brother lightningstrike as a test subject :rolleyes:

Using an external 3 digit temperature controller that allows heater and chiller function control, time delay and temp differential, we stripped the chiller apart and rewired the innerts. We are proud to say it works!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

So now bro lightningstrike has an atman chiller with an external controller, whose temperature probe is in the main tank. This will allow accurate measurement of the water temp. The chiller cuts in alot less often and you can easily program the delta as you like.

This is to let fellow reefers know it can be done quite easily so why not try it yourself? :)

Cedric,

you will have a problem if you wire it this way.

Imagine if the chiller pump fails. The sensor detects tank temp as still not at the cold set temp required so it never cuts off.

Heat exchanger turns to ice and ......... ;)

• SRC Member

Me too have an Atman chiller. I have also notice that it cut in and out very frequently. Mine is more like running for 5 minutes, then cut out for 5, and run again.

May I know is there any problem with this? As compare to running for 1/2 hour every 2 hours?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

Cedric,

you will have a problem if you wire it this way.

Imagine if the chiller pump fails. The sensor detects tank temp as still not at the cold set temp required so it never cuts off.

Heat exchanger turns to ice and ......... ;)

Hi,

well I guess you can over come the problem by connecting the pump to the controller as well. The artica commerical chiller has the probe in the main tank as well. I guess the problem with this is the stagnant water in the pipes and reservoir but since the atman has a small reservoir, the problem may not be too severe. :)

Comments are welcome!

See any different on the digital display panel??? (not the 33C :D ).

that's a FOX external thermostat controller there. exactly the same as the one i am using. right Cedric? :)

bro SunRay, u hv cut out the chiller casing to fit the controller in. :P for me, i hv drilled 2 holes in my cabinet and attached the controller there. :D

Austin's Birthday

.png

well I guess you can over come the problem by connecting the pump to the controller as well. The artica commerical chiller has the probe in the main tank as well. I guess the problem with this is the stagnant water in the pipes and reservoir but since the atman has a small reservoir, the problem may not be too severe. 

The artica commerical chiller has two version. One has the temp probe externally mounted in the tank. The other one has it internally in the chiller itself. The version I have has the temp probe internally.

Connecting the pump to the controller will not solve the problem because once the pump fails it will still not sense that the heat exchanger is about the freeze and hence still crack.

FYI the artical chillers has a safety feature to prevent the heat exchanger from freezing. That's what I read from the manual. But a bit :off: here already.

• SRC Member

Hi,

well I guess you can over come the problem by connecting the pump to the controller as well. The artica commerical chiller has the probe in the main tank as well. I guess the problem with this is the stagnant water in the pipes and reservoir but since the atman has a small reservoir, the problem may not be too severe. :)

you will know what the problems when you change the THERMOSTAT.

and the digital control panel have problems.

you will know what the problems when you change the THERMOSTAT.

and the digital control panel have problems.

I dun quite get what u mean here bro SunRay....... care to explain further??? as for the comments made by bro cookiemunster, i m looking into it.......

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Sorry... i reply to Cedric,

is not the problems on the size of reservoir that caused the problem. is the THERMOSTAT is so thin that break or ban when your flow is to powerful...

lightningstrike, u also using ATMAN CHILLER?

• SRC Member

that's a FOX external thermostat controller there. exactly the same as the one i am using. right Cedric? :)

bro SunRay, u hv cut out the chiller casing to fit the controller in. :P for me, i hv drilled 2 holes in my cabinet and attached the controller there. :D

Nope, thats not a fox controller. its only 2 digit. A fox controller is 3 digit.

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
Sorry... i reply to Cedric,

is not the problems on the size of reservoir that caused the problem. is the THERMOSTAT is so thin that break or ban when your flow is to powerful...

lightningstrike, u also using ATMAN CHILLER?

? Sorry I dun quite understand. The thermostat? Are you refering to the temperature probe?

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
Hi Guyz,

RE: ATMAN CHILLER

I have modify ATMAN Chiller: Change capacitor and thermostat...

Is running GOOD now...

SunRay

Can I know why you change the capacitor? Thanks!

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, I guess its a problem that as long as we change to an external controller, we will have to place the new temperature probe externally in the main tank or sump tank. While it offers more accurate reading, I must agree that it presents a new set of problems as suggested by calciumreef (i.e. when pump fails, the reservoir might freeze up.) Deos anyone have a solution to that?

:(

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
Hi everyone, I guess its a problem that as long as we change to an external controller, we will have to place the new temperature probe externally in the main tank or sump tank. While it offers more accurate reading, I must agree that it presents a new set of problems as suggested by calciumreef (i.e. when pump fails, the reservoir might freeze up.) Deos anyone have a solution to that?

Not mentioned by me. :lol:

• SRC Member

Not mentioned by me. :lol:

Hi CalciumReef,

so what do you propose? The next thing I can think of is to "Remove" the orginal probe and replace it with the new one in the water reservoir. Any ideas?

:thanks:

p.s. by the way, do you happen to run the atman as well?

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Solution

Run 2 x higher flow pumps(pressure rated recommended) to a common distributor pipe which distribute the flow to your Main tank,Skimmer & Chiller inlet. In this way, if 1 pump fails, you still have the other pump as backup although the flowrate will be reduced.

Cedric or Sunray........can help me modify my Atman chiller? I'll pay for the temp. controller the transport?

Eric

• SRC Member

Hi,

I think me and sunray do things differently. I do it with the controller mounted outside and temperatre probe in the main tank; plus I use a different controller with 3 digits, i.e. to 0.1 degrees. Plus I dun understand his use of "thermostat" (I keep wondering if he is refering to the controller or the temperature probe? In the dictionary, a thermostat is: A device, as in a home heating system, a refrigerator, or an air conditioner, that automatically responds to temperature changes and activates switches controlling the equipment.)So was he refering to the temperature controller? I also did not change the capacitor as I do not understand the need to.

I find it rather troublesome to redo the electrical connections inside. Why not see if Sunray is willing to do it for you first? If he is unwilling, then I'll be more than willing to help you. Just can let me know! :)

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
Hi,

I think me and sunray do things differently. I do it with the controller mounted outside and temperatre probe in the main tank; plus I use a different controller with 3 digits, i.e. to 0.1 degrees. Plus I dun understand his use of "thermostat" (I keep wondering if he is refering to the controller or the temperature probe? In the dictionary, a thermostat is: A device, as in a home heating system, a refrigerator, or an air conditioner, that automatically responds to temperature changes and activates switches controlling the equipment.)So was he refering to the temperature controller? I also did not change the capacitor as I do not understand the need to.

I find it rather troublesome to redo the electrical connections inside. Why not see if Sunray is willing to do it for you first? If he is unwilling, then I'll be more than willing to help you. Just can let me know!  :)

Sunray changes might be out of my budget, Cedric you help me mod lah.........the sooner the better, can save on my electricity bills. Anyway, I'll be using the 2 x 6300l/hr return pumps and common distributor concept soon, so no worries abt freezing up. When you free? Btw, estimated cost is how much huh?

Thanks,

Eric