Starting 3 ft Marine Tank

Hi everyone,

Will be starting a 3 ft marine tank without sump. Will be using a canister filter and 4 inch dsb. Can anyone help suggest what should be in the 3 compartment of my canister filter.

I thought of filling 1 compartment with active carbon and 2 with bio rings and uses a pre-filter pad for mechanical filtration.

However. that means i will have to open up the cannister very frequent to change the carbon. Do i really need carbon or is there a better way of including carbon filtration.

I've got quite a lot of problem with my 2 feet tank marine tank and i hope to get it right this time. I know sump is a must have but its too late for me to alter the tnak and cabinet.

Thanks

• SRC Member
I've got quite a lot of problem with my 2 feet tank marine tank and i hope to get it right this time. I know sump is a must have but its too late for me to alter the tnak and cabinet.

Why not a sump.....???

Cos 3 footer's water volume ain't much and like you mentioned.... you wanna get it right.....isn't it...

you can get a overflow box from one of our reefers who currently DIYing for others, if drilling holes into your tank is difficult now...... ;)

Unless there are other constraints...... :erm:

• SRC Member
cannot leh ....my cabinet  has a divider right in the middle ..must the sump be big?? i really don't mind a sump if i can still do it.

You can explore the way Yazid has done his..... he too has a divider wall in his cabinet...

Refer to this:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...&f=7&t=602&st=0

However, your cabinet might be too small...

If thats a case, ever considered a external sump outside the cabinet or eprouve style of overhead Sump....

Refer to this :

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...2&hl=sump&st=90