• Counsel the parents instead
    • Get the parents' to do self-reflections
    • Get the child to do self-reflection
    • Adopt different strategy...pls suggest with a post

• SRC Member

Words of wisdom...

post-11-1083699752.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Nowadays... hooligans like you are becoming tame.... in the old days.... :fear:

HEY!!! Why tainted the thread with this? :angry:

Post it somewhere else...so distasteful and gruesome... :cry:

Btw what happened to him? :P

• SRC Member

Let me supply an ageless philosophy of thought... :rolleyes:

Children Learn What They Live

If a child learns with criticisms,

He learns to condemn...

If a child lives with hostility,

He learns to fight...

If a child lives with ridicule,

He learns to be be self-conscious...

If a child lives with shame

He learns to feel guilty...

If a child lives with tolerance,

He learns to be patient...

If a child lives with love...

He learns to love others...

So above all this...the true essence is the meaning of LOVE... not just in the sense of boy-girl type but all successful relationships starts with just simply LOVE...

:peace:

• SRC Member

Flubby,

Agree with you, both parts. :D

Great work. I think it all boils to genuine love and relationship. Once this is established, the others will fall in place.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Yup...I always believe that a good 'foundation' will enable the child to grow up to be 'worthy' and responsible adults... :)

That's why it is impt to spend effort in developing a child from young. In our society, we are so straddled by WORK!!! WORK!!! WORK!!! that it robs our time away from the family and children. So it is good to know that no doubt working for your rice bowl is essential, there is such a thing called 'divorced from work' when you are at home. This will release us to spend more QUALITY time with your family and especially help to understand and develop your child. :yeah::yeah:

Surveys have shown that children/ teenagers rather speak to their peers about their feelings and problems than to share them with adults. Their peers know only as much as they do...sometimes, wrong advice was also given out by them and acted upon by the teens... :(

Where have the saying of providing good role models gone to? :rolleyes:

Look at the rising rate of abortions and juvenile delinquency.... :cry:

What values have these children grown up with, amissed the disappearance of good role models aka responsible parents? :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

The state can take full responsibility in such a situation. Establish state run camps for 24 hour indoctrination. At the age of 6, all young children are to be legally removed from care of parents, as it has been shown that parenting skills are non existent in a population trained strictly for their work productivity. Also, as adults will only look after the first 6 years of their kid's life, they enjoy the "fun" of parenting - keeping an adorable and obedient child as pet until he / she starts to question parental authority. Moreover, will encourage birth rates to increase as adults are forced to have more children (since they cant keep them after expiry date).

On their 6th birthday, all kids are taken into Education Camps, where they will be taught foot drills and basic HDB survival - what to do when your flat is on fire, how to repair a stuck lift, etc in the night. Academic instruction is also important- languages, maths (of course) science (of course) and humanities (every odd week, as even week will be Civics and Moral Duties & subsequent Punishment for failing to ensure that such duties are carried out for a Model Citizen) during the day. CCA will be based on aptitude testing - they will be streamed from day 1 into sports, mental games (like chess) and stuff like AVA rep for the non physically inclined. All males will undergo compulsory NS pre BMT training once they hit 12years old, hence undergo 6 years of school based physical & weapon training, so that by the time they enter BMT they will be marksmen and complete SOC under 7min.

Everyday Sat morning the kids will book out and report to their parents in full school uniform (peak cap, boots polished, unfiorm starched). They are encoruaged to remain standing on public transport as sitting down will crease the back of their uniforms. Parents will have to submit a 30 page report every Sunday night as their child returns to camp, detailing the level of competency they displayed in executing filial exercises- making beds, cleaning toilet cisterns, etc. The students have 24 hours to complete all household chores, hence negating the depdency of Singapore families on foreign talent like Phillipino maids.

To assist in the education process, all instructors/ teachers will be issued electric prods, to administer mild electric shocks to errant children. Delinquent children who exhibit potential negative behaviour- talking during fall in, shoes not brushed shine, defiance, will be asked to stand in a corner of the class................... on top of a small concrete block in the centre of a large container of water, with electric cables running throught the container, for at least 8 hours. Obese children are to be specially taken care of, as their weight entails a helath hazard. It is in their interest that the state will issue only 1000 calories of food, and compulsory 10km runs twice a day, until the students are capable of doing 2.4km in under 10min and ten chin ups. Failure to do so will be met with electric shocks.

Major disciplinary infringements will be dealt with severely. As the children has clearly proven that they cannot obey instructions in school today, and hence the law infuture, they are no longer productive citizens who can conribute to the economy. they will be lobotmized and serve as Daily Rated Employees doing construction work or cleaning public toilets. As the state believes that all human life is precious and that each person should be groomed to his/ her fullest potential, the death sentence is abolished. All criminals will be lobotomized so that they can be fullly productive citizens and their past debts forgiven.

What about all the prison staff and Gurkhas? Gurkhas will be re-trained as PE teachers (dont worry they can still carry their kukris) while all rpison staff will be teachers in the education service- their experience will prove invaluable. With that, we can help solve the current issues gripping our society today.

• SRC Member
On their 6th birthday, all kids are taken into Education Camps, where they will be taught foot drills and basic HDB survival - what to do when your flat is on fire, how to repair a stuck lift, etc in the night. Academic instruction is also important- languages, maths (of course) science (of course) and humanities (every odd week, as even week will be Civics and Moral Duties & subsequent Punishment for failing to ensure that such duties are carried out for a Model Citizen) during the day. CCA will be based on aptitude testing - they will be streamed from day 1 into sports, mental games (like chess) and  stuff like AVA rep for the non physically inclined. All males will undergo compulsory NS pre BMT training once they hit 12years old, hence undergo 6 years of school based physical & weapon training, so that by the time they enter BMT they will be marksmen and complete SOC under 7min. 

Everyday Sat morning the kids will book out and report to their parents in full school uniform (peak cap, boots polished, unfiorm starched). They are encoruaged to remain standing on public transport as sitting down will crease the back of their uniforms.  Parents will have to submit a 30 page report every Sunday night as their child returns to camp, detailing the level of competency they displayed in executing filial exercises- making beds, cleaning toilet cisterns, etc. The students have 24 hours to complete all household chores, hence negating the depdency of Singapore families on foreign talent like Phillipino maids.

To assist in the education process, all instructors/ teachers will be issued electric prods, to administer mild electric shocks to errant children. Delinquent children who exhibit potential negative behaviour- talking during fall in, shoes not brushed shine, defiance, will be asked to stand in a corner of the class...................  on top of a small concrete block in the centre of a large container of water, with electric cables running throught the container, for at least 8 hours. Obese children are to be specially taken care of, as their weight entails a helath hazard. It is in their interest that the state will issue only 1000 calories of food, and compulsory 10km runs twice a day, until the students are capable of doing 2.4km in under 10min and ten chin ups. Failure to do so will be met with electric shocks.

Most we really resort to this authoritarian style of management to bring about discipline? :huh:

Afterall, here we are talking about children...already I am lamenting about their loss of childhood abet the piling load of school and home assignments...and now we got to do it regimentedly? :rolleyes:

There's good and bad but the cons outweigh the pros...here in this tiny island, we can only rely on the Human Capital to see us through the next era but if we go about this way, where would all the Einsteins, Newtons, Mikhails, LKYs and SWHs be? Stifling them is detrimental towards developing individuals who can lead us in the next phase of economism. :rolleyes:

No doubt, a system is good but too much of a system will be overbearing. What I feel is that basics be taught and then ownership is given to the child to develop his character accompanied by sound teaching... :)

• SRC Member

To do so you need time. There is no time:

For teachers

For parents

For children

There is really no way out. It has become a massive factory churning out kids who score for the exams, the main indicator for success. Kids no longer come to school to learn, they come to drill for exams. I have kids say I talk too much ######, give me more stuf for the exams, or will this appear int eh exams? Oherwise, please focus on topic. Gee... I dont know.

• SRC Member
To do so you need time. There is no time:

For teachers

For parents

For children

There is really no way out. It has become a massive factory churning out kids who score for the exams, the main indicator for success. Kids no longer come to school to learn, they come to drill for exams. I have kids say I talk too much ######, give me more stuf for the exams, or will this appear int eh exams? Oherwise, please focus on topic. Gee... I dont know.

Have we ever wondered why we tend to say 'No time...'? :rolleyes:

More qualitative spending of time can be achieved if only we... :rolleyes:

And the factory that it has now become is due to the paper chase that Singaporeans are so fond of engaging in...sigh... :(

On a lighter note...was contemplating to further my studies in the area that interests me and when the admin asked...you need to supply the transcripts and all the necessary academic documents and I said I dun have them...was given a scolding...

"Madam...you meant you lost them!!!??? They are so important to us and I even kept mine in the safe deposit box!!!" said the clerk on the other line... :P

So now how? Based on Singapore standards, no go for me...nevermind lor...do it the other way...creat an impact until they request for me... :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: Anyway, if this is the case, I dun think I will hanker for it...it's just not worth it... ;)

• SRC Member
But i still like the electric prod thing... :)

HOOAH! Cattle prod!

TASER if they are really out of line.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Are we part of a failed system? We are brought up by this failed system then no matter how we raionalise or think, we can never be right! We are only using our past experience of a failed system to try to think about a successful system. We will forever be swirling around in failure.

May be an alien who look from outside can be of much help.

• SRC Member

Yup...I think this is called the 'Eureka Effect'?

Really...we should all get a sabbathical and go for a retreat once a while so as to rejuvenate, refresh, revitalise, renew, recharge, reboot, reset... :P

As for me...I only need one...REDUCE!!!

Reduce what? :rolleyes:

Weight and Fats lor... :lol::lol::lol:

Oops...what am I talking about again? :shock::ooh:

Quick...Maria...get my medicine here... :D:lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Flubby,

Try caning for fast fats reduction. Works for my boss. :lol:

You wan me to go into the headlines? :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

No need lah...My profile high enough liao lah...with that tongue of mine... :P:P

:lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Where have the saying of providing good role models gone to? :rolleyes:

Look at the rising rate of abortions and juvenile delinquency.... :cry:

Interesting to read the viewpoints of actual teachers! Didnt know there were so many in the forum.

I'm not sure whether juvenile delinquency rates or even abortion rates have gone up in reality. In the case of crime its likely that specific incidents have been blown out of proportion. As for abortion, it's likely just documented cases that have gone up.

Our education system isnt a failed one in my opinion. In fact, it seems to be a resounding success at achieving the goals which were laid out when the system was first established like aeons ago. In fact, I dont quite agree with the current hoohaas on the cultivation of creative thinking and especially the way in which students are enforced to Carry out creative/ lateral thinking processes using a fixed set of guidelines. It's absolutely ironic.

After experiencing the UK education for a year, it doesnt seem any more creative, enriching than what my friends in NUS describe. If a student does poorly in a particular module, he is encouraged drop it. No effort is seen on the part of the tutor to help the student better understand and grasp the knowledge. Also, the freedom we have over choice of modules has left the students here with little knowledge except on topics which we are interested on embarking further study/ research. At the end of the day, the knowledge we have gained is so limited!

On the other hand, I am impressed with the programmes that some Australian Universities have to offer, which is in fact rather similar to the approach Singapore takes. Absolute saturation. Music students are forced to do French, Italian languages on top of other anxillary subjects which in fact are so necessary. However, it seems that Australian unis simply do not gain as much recognition as their UK or US counterparts. My friend from Australia attributes this to the calibre of the local students, as well as their generally more relaxed, nonchalent attitude towards their studies. Is this sort of attitude attributed to the flaw in the education system, or more towards the local culture?

No education system is likely to be perfect, its more of how successful it is at attaining the goals initially set out.

I'll probably be teaching after I grad from UK... must seek advice of all the shi fus here on how to interest and handle school children!! As much as i'd like to be one of those 'inspirational teachers', i can foresee sending my students to sleep with my monotonous drone... *sigh*

• SRC Member

Welcome to the team. Iceman

We're the X-men.

I'll be cyclop....zap the devil's in my class with that deadly stare. :P

Flubby could be Jean (Prof X's asssitant)

Opps, are we supposed to be couples in the show? :lol:

• SRC Member

Dream on...Cyclops <_< ...I wouldn't wan something that is used to feed fishes... ;)

Where's my Darling Wolverine? B)

But then again...she has sacrificed during the last outing...so she is kind enough to put 'er nu shi qing' aside to concentrate on the bigger things in life... :lol::lol::lol:

Oops...what has this thread become? :P

People...dun blame me...blame the Chris joker... :evil::evil::evil:

Welcome to the team. Iceman

We're the X-men.

I'll be cyclop....zap the devil's in my class with that deadly stare. :P

Flubby could be Jean (Prof X's asssitant)

Opps, are we supposed to be couples in the show? :lol:

You forgot ......Jean died in the movie.....when she arises once more as the Pheonix...you are going to get your sorry a** fried , cyclops or not :P:lol::lol:

• SRC Member

:off::off::off:

Was so thrilled to know that there's a third instalment...must see... :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Anyway, Dark Phoenix, right? Cool...get to be the main storyline... :evil::evil::evil:

Read this... :P

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Guide...3557/epid-56144

Must 'choop' tickets liao... :P