urgenT seahorse gave birth!

ReDDeviLs

• SRC Member

1) Prepare a small tank and put in your tank's water

2) use a small and deep spatula to scoop up the babies if the father has finished all the deliveries. Take note try not to let the babies float to the surface. Otherwise likely to surface from buoyancy problems later on

3) cover a small air tubing with mesh of very fine holes and connect it to a powerhead

4) stick it to the side of the wall and 'bubbled' in for the water's aeration

5) Shine a torch towards the lower part of your tank to prevent the babies from floating to the top...

Do all these first... :)

All the best... :)

Unfortunately, the raising of baby sea horses to adulthood is a very difficult task for the average home hobbyist and they are mostly doomed to die. :(

Wish you lots of luck.

• SRC Supporter
1) Prepare a small tank and put in your tank's water

2) use a small and deep spatula to scoop up the babies if the father has finished all the deliveries. Take note try not to let the babies float to the surface. Otherwise likely to surface from buoyancy problems later on

3) cover a small air tubing with mesh of very fine holes and connect it to a powerhead

4) stick it to the side of the wall and 'bubbled' in for the water's aeration

5) Shine a torch towards the lower part of your tank to prevent the babies from floating to the top...

Do all these first... :)

All the best... :)

hi sis,how long do i have to shine the light? do i do like the normal rotine 8hr/day?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

thanks AT

sorry guys forget to ask what should i feed to the seahorse baby and where to get the food?

After the 1st day... they will start to feed on rotifers and then BBS.

• SRC Member

As long as you can... :P till I told you about the layer thingy... ;)

But if you can put them into some form of container within the tank itself, then no need for the light liao. Try getting thin things for them to learn to latch though... :)

As for food...try phyto and maybe get baby brine shrimps from Petmart or hatch yourself. :rolleyes:

Btw...I believe the species of the parents does play a part in the ultimate survival... :rolleyes:

my $0.02... :P

Any fellow reefers' comments? :rolleyes:

As long as you can... :P till I told you about the layer thingy... ;)

But if you can put them into some form of container within the tank itself, then no need for the light liao. Try getting thin things for them to learn to latch though... :)

As for food...try phyto and maybe get baby brine shrimps from Petmart or hatch yourself. :rolleyes:

Btw...I believe the species of the parents does play a part in the ultimate survival... :rolleyes:

my $0.02... :P

Any fellow reefers' comments? :rolleyes:

Phyto? Not appropriate food... they don't eat phytoplankton. Zooplankton yes.

TMSI feed their SH fry with pods they harvest from the beaches at St John.

• SRC Supporter

i dont know what seahorse are they,but they are black in colour,and another 1 black with yellow stripes..

got them from sealife about 2weeks ago.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Supporter
I just pinned up a link on this forum to : Seahorse Nutrition Part IV: Feeding & Rearing the Fry.

Take a look! :)

thanks for the link very informative!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

most likely the parents r either tigertails or kudas, both their fries r pelagic, which means they will drif will currents in ocean, which our tanks don't have, best if u r able to raise them up in fish bowl nursey in the main tank itself.... they feed on rotifers and bbs.... if they get pass the first week, try to enrich the foods before feeding them. ;) hope it helps...

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Supporter

i have no idea where to get rotifers,anyone can help?

im wasnt prepare for this yet,gues i will lose them :(

but i will try to save them as much as possible!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

just stick with bbs, my seems to feed on bbs more then rotifers... ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Hi,

Just curious, did the yellow strip(species:tigertail) gave birth or Black colour(species:kuda) gave birth? If the yellow strip on gave birth, most likely unable to make it. I have tried rotifier, greenwater before. It doesn't help. I only manage to bring up 2 tigertail out of 1500 frys on bbs to 2mths before(need tons of luck). For the kuda, if you have sufficient rotifier(I mean hundred of thousand of rotifier), your chance would be about 40%, I tried this method a few time with success. But take note, culling have to be done with their ever increasing appetite, you will run out of food in no time. Even for regeneration of rotifier, it is not fast enough. Unless I have a farm, there is no way I can solve the food problem. Good Luck. :D