How Hot is Hot?? external pump

typrobin

• SRC Member

hi all, i have juz shifted my pump to run it externally so tat i can reduce the temperature in my tank.i've been running it for 2 days already, i feel the pump and it seems hot....not tat it will scald my hand but still hot....i'm afraid tat the thing might overheat and explode, so need to check how hot is hot??

• SRC Member

:blink: Word of Caution....I am not familiar with LifeTech brand...please confirm if it can be used externally. Otherwise, you may risk a fire hazard or your place be burnt !

:idea: Try using Eheim or Iwaki or some reputable external pump, I believe they are more reliable and safe. Personally I use Eheim 1262 (3400L/h @ 85W)...not hot at all !

Regards, Golf

• SRC Member

typrobin,

not sure if this is feasible but i think it's worth a try...

if you are worried that the thing will explode :D or burn the whole tank down :evil: perhaps you can do this...

get a cheap/small aquarium say 1 ft x 1ft(if exist). fill it up with water. Submerge* your external pump into the small aquarium. This will cool down the external pump. I'm sure the water from the small aquarium won't boil till 100c right ? with this, you'll be able to better cool your external pump(water is a better cooling medium when it comes to heat dissipation compare to air) without increasing the water temperature on your main tank. It'll also help prolong your pump life.

hope this helps.

*most external pump can be used for both wet/dry application.

regards,

Eric

Some pumps like atman will specify their pump can only be used in water temperature lower than 35 deg C.

I once used an Atman 105 in half a tank of 2 feet tank. Guess what? the water shoot up to 33 deg C (which is close to the mentioned limit) and when you put in your hand you can feel that it is warm.

The moral of the story, putting pump in small water body may not be enough to cool down the pump. But it might work, good luck.

Btw you can use any container, tupperware, pail, and etc...