Will LS die if filter is off for 8 hours?

cjack

A general question.

If there is a power outage for 8 hours, what are the chances of the fishes surviving the ordeal; making an assumption that there is a battery powered pump providing air bubbles for oxygen. In this scenario, the filteration system is completely cut off.

when u say filter do you mean canister filter?

if so, my guess is that 8 hours is too long for non movement of water and the water in the canister becomes dead and stripped of all oxygen and all the beneficial bacteria will start to die off...

but if you mean the sump with DSB as filter...then if you use anotther battery powered air pump to bubble air in the sump also....then u can reduce die offs...

means aerating the main tank and sump individually till power comes back on

not too sure, hope other bros contribute their opinions

it happen to mi once and when the power resume, the water that flowed out from my canister seem to be cloudy and my nitrite went up , do a immediately 50% water change .. but all my shrimps go to heaven by then ....guess the bacteria die of suffocation ...

just to confirm with u that 5 hrs is enough for bacteria die off in the canister...maybe battery powered pump does help dunno? :blink:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

it happen to mi once and when the power resume, the water that flowed out from my canister seem to be cloudy and my nitrite went up , do a immediately 50% water change .. but all my shrimps go to heaven by then ....guess the bacteria die of suffocation ...

just to confirm with u that 5 hrs is enough for bacteria die off in the canister...maybe battery powered pump does help dunno? :blink:

did your shrimp die coz of the spike or your 50% water change ?... :ooh:

Stairway to Heaven

hee , my precious shrimp die b4 i do the 50% water change .... haiz , my heart ache ar !!!

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Hmm..last time when I was using eheim canister..sometimes while I'm out my mom will mop the floor and mop out the plug of the canister without even realising it. <_< Then when I come home..I notice a stagnant tank only circulated by an internal powerhead...I switched on the canister and dead amphipods were the first to gush out of the canister...great fish food. Did'nt notice adverse effects..Think it also depends on your tank size to buffer any traces of ammonia.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

:P When I feed DT Live for my LS, I usually switch-off my Canister Filer, UV Sterilizer and Skimmer for 2hrs on every two days.... no adverse effect observed on my LS...all 4x cleaner shrimps, 2x cleaner wrasses, 2x tangs, 2x percula clowns, 1x firefish, 1x red wrasse, 10x corals and 3x clams.

:cry: Or was I just plain lucky....did I accidentally test the limit of switching off the filter far too long?

Any advise :thanks:

• SRC Member

I got a UPS in my house...not for fish tank, but alarm system. It is designed to last 1.5hr...cost below $100 ...I think you can check it out at SIM LIM SQ***E.

But if you want for a UPS for fish tank with chiller, lights, pumps etc....power consumption need is very high..may need a special high wattage UPS in your case....may easily cost above $500. I could be wrong.

• SRC Member

Wow, I'm lucky!!! There was a 12 hour powerfailure last week when I was overseas and nothing went wrong... WOW!! I'm lucky! I didn't know all this stuff...

Yeah, if you want to operate everything you need a huge expensive one...

but really you must choose one or two key elements to power (ie skimmer because it oxygenates best and creates water movement and/ or return pump) If light or off, chiller is less critical...

then you must consider what a bad power failure is... usually it will rarely last more than 4 to 6 hours... in this case a two hour UPS can make the difference in most cases.

cheers!

I got a UPS in my house...not for fish tank, but alarm system. It is designed to last 1.5hr...cost below $100 ...I think you can check it out at SIM LIM SQ***E.

But if you want for a UPS for fish tank with chiller, lights, pumps etc....power consumption need is very high..may need a special high wattage UPS in your case....may easily cost above $500. I could be wrong.

wow, $500 is quite a sum . anyway, thanks for the info. will go check the ups's out. :)

Wow, I'm lucky!!! There was a 12 hour powerfailure last week when I was overseas and nothing went wrong... WOW!! I'm lucky! I didn't know all this stuff...

Yeah, if you want to operate everything you need a huge expensive one...

but really you must choose one or two key elements to power (ie skimmer because it oxygenates best and creates water movement and/ or return pump) If light or off, chiller is less critical...

then you must consider what a bad power failure is... usually it will rarely last more than 4 to 6 hours... in this case a two hour UPS can make the difference in most cases.

cheers!

hmmm... that leaves about 2-4 hrs of power downtime which is still capable of wiping out at least half of the BBs.

btw, does UPS operate on a localised powerpoint or isit something like that kind of power saver that u can plug anywhere in the house to redirect stray currents? thanks for the info too. :)