Where to buy Live Sand

UFO

• SRC Member
hongqixian,

I have read abt the pro & con of DSB, though pro more than con. DSB is the cheapest way for me now. I heard a Refugium is a good solution too, but is out of my budget now. Thks for the info.

Chris, CKS,

I also read abt LR seeding & turning the sand into LS. But that means I have to first cure my LR for at leasta month. I dun have the time & LR is just as expensive man. Thks for the info too.

Anyway, my immediate & only solution now is water change.

Okay, it's your tank. But do remember that whatever goes in the sand will come out sometime and it may be that you will end up with a bigger problem in future.

Enough about DSBs. If you want sandbed fauna, you can look for little pieces of live rock at the LFS. Small fallen-off chunks with worms and things inside. You can try asking for them when you buy livestock. Adding a bit at a time won't cause a cycle, will add small animals like pods and you can take out the rubble rock after a time when most of the animals have gone into your sandbed so the tank doesn't get cluttered.

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I am thinking of having a new sump/refugium. In the meantime, can I convert my 2ft quarantine tank into a refugium by adding river sand, LRs & macroalgae? The purpose is to have the 'live sand' ready for my new sump/refugium. Is that workable? :blink:

They are 2 things I need advices here: 1.should I carry on running my canister filter (existing one for my quarantine tank) when it is converted into a refugium? 2. Will there be any problems later during the transfer of the 'live sand' to the new sump/refugium? :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

I am thinking of having a new sump/refugium. In the meantime, can I convert my 2ft quarantine tank into a refugium by adding river sand, LRs & macroalgae? The purpose is to have the 'live sand' ready for my new sump/refugium. Is that workable? :blink:

They are 2 things I need advices here: 1.should I carry on running my canister filter (existing one for my quarantine tank) when it is converted into a refugium? 2. Will there be any problems later during the transfer of the 'live sand' to the new sump/refugium? :thanks:

Can, why not? The canister filter should be ok if you clean it regularly. But don't put a dsb in your 2ft if you are going to dig it up again. Put about 2cm sand enough for worms and algae to root in, and put in a rock or two of decorative algae and a light. You can fiddle around and see what temp and conditions the algae like best. If you keep the glass clean, there's no reason why it shouldn't look nice. A refugium does not necessarily have to be overgrown with nuisance algae.

• SRC Member
Hello hongqixian,

Thanks for your advices. :thanks: Forgot to mention that I m having filter floss n bio ring inside the canister filter, hope is not affecting your answer. :look:

No, it doesn't. Actually you don't need the bio rings but they don't really cause any harm. Just rinse the filter floss or change it regularly.

• SRC Member
Use fine river sand... great for DSB. Smaller than #1. Petmart got sell.

If i use the riversand for DSB, and since its finer than #1 sand, does it mean 3 inches is enough instead of the recommended 5 to 6 inches depth ?

thanks

• SRC Member

If i use the riversand for DSB, and since its finer than #1 sand, does it mean 3 inches is enough instead of the recommended 5 to 6 inches depth ?

thanks

Ya thats what i wanted to ask and if i din want a dsb, could i use the riversand as my substrate? I can't find any grade1 sand now :(

• SRC Member

With such fine sand, 2.5" will create a low/min oxygen zone below. 3" is also good. but do remember to add 1" of c1 sand over so u won't have sand storm when yr PH blow on yr sandbed. Live sand with worms and other critters would be the best for the top layer. so total 4".

Wei :)

• SRC Member

Hi piero,

Note that after the bacteria is established, u will still need to seed the sandbed with livesand(exchange new sand for live sand with other friendly/helpful aquarists) & live rocks. U can get 1 or 2 pieces of coralline rock that is porous & covered with some sponges & mini tube worms. These rocks come with more live especially pods, worms & brittle star. These critters will ensure long term success of yr DSB system.

The problem is that the functioning of the DSB depends entirely upon the animals in it and their ability to move water and nutrients through the bed. So, a bed without animals is a bed that doesn't function, and bed that is unfed, is a bed soon to be without animals.

By Doc Ronnie in recent RC reply.

Happy Reefing!

Wei :)