Where to buy Live Sand

UFO

• SRC Member

UFO

i think u want aragonite live sand?? it can only be found at sealife (as far as i know). It will set u SGD150 poorer for 10kg, they do sell in small portion like SGD15 for 1kg. u would need to use alot of them to get DSB in ur 3' setup :erm:

anyway, most of us used juz #1 (MarineLife, Queensway)sand for DSB. as with other biological filtration it takes time for it to mature :peace:

Quick Fix for ur situation:

1. sugar syrup as suggested by bawater

2. Az-No3 (this take weeks) and export it out thru skimmer

long-term fix:

lower bioload ;)

:peace:

• SRC Member
The live sand that marine life / sealife sells - are they the "real" live sand with worms etc or just old aquarium sand?

tito?!?

I have existing 2.5" dead/half dead coarse coral & no.3 sand already. Just need a thin layer of live sand withh all the live worms, infauna, blar blar blar to make my snad bed "ALIVE". So i wud need only 1-2 kg to jump start my DSB......i think :huh:

Those Ang Mo said by placing some LR on dead sand, it will also turn yr dead sand live.....how true??? No diff if i buy some LR.....it will cost abt the same if i buy those $15/kg live sand. IF they are really 'ALIVE'......sigh :(

• SRC Member

Hi UFO,

I too am starting my DSB and am currently looking for the "live" stuff to seed my tank. I was told to go to Changi at low tide, walk out and get some "live" sand. Not sure if this will work, but it seems logical. Just bought my sand yesterday. Going to use a very fine river sand and top it with #1 coral sand. Let me know if u find a better source.

BTW, where is Sam's shop?

-Keith

• SRC Member

Arag-Alive has only bacteria. Not worth it because bacteria on live rock multiply rapidly and will live on the sand. Live sand is just sand with mostly worms and pods (tiny crustaceans). Sugar fix just causes a bacterial bloom and it cannot guarantee whether just the sand/rock bacteria bloom or other pathogenic (bad) bacteria bloom. After the sugar runs out alot of the bacteria will die off and might cause nitrates to rise a little as well.

Live rock has worms, some of which will colonise the sand given time.

UFO:

Are you sure you want a dsb? Read and then decide.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/f...ature/index.htm

The basic debates on other forums are that DSBs are septic tanks, collecting organics and producing toxic sulphides and methanes that will come out after a period of time and can wipe out a tank swiftly. Your choice.

• SRC Member

Hm...

CaribSea r using MarcWeiss's Vital LiveSandBooster on their 'live sand' .. u can get that MarcWeiss LSB and SeaChem argonite in Singapore .. probably cheaper to build your 'live sand' bed with that.

And like what hongqixian mentioned .. given time the 'live' from LiveRock would innoculate your sand.

• SRC Member

keith,

Hey man, I was having the same thought too, but not sure how polluted is our beach. Was actually thinking of Pasir Ris, St' John Island or Pulau Ubin. Have not been to Changi for a long time. Are u staying near there? Can give it a try, but do it in a spare tank, u dun know what pollutants in it.

Maybe we can share some live sand.

Sam is Sealife in Balestier.

• SRC Member

hongqixian,

I have read abt the pro & con of DSB, though pro more than con. DSB is the cheapest way for me now. I heard a Refugium is a good solution too, but is out of my budget now. Thks for the info.

Chris, CKS,

I also read abt LR seeding & turning the sand into LS. But that means I have to first cure my LR for at leasta month. I dun have the time & LR is just as expensive man. Thks for the info too.

Anyway, my immediate & only solution now is water change.

• SRC Member

UFO, since your tank is already 1 yr old then your sand is already 'live'

live means u also need the fauna living in the sand which takes a longer time to develop than the bacteria.

LR will seed the sand. The bacteria is everywhere & comes FOC,just need some time to find a home & multiply.

BUT- currently u using no.3......and that's not sand,that's boulders in the DSB world-maybe 10" of it will give u the same as 3" of fine sand. Even No.1 is quite large but mostly everyone uses this,just increase depth to 5"-6".

Maybe the sand size is a reason that u don't see worms & stuff in your substrate so far.

As hong said,Arag-Alive has only bacteria-& i too say not worth it. how u going to check that that bacteria is still alive is beyond me. How u determine 'Live' when there are no creatures living in it.

• SRC Member
bawater,

yr last para is confusing me.....sorry i still blur, newbie mah :P

I'm going to buy some fine sand (either 1 0r 3) from Hawaii. Are those consider 'sand'??? :huh:

Use fine river sand... great for DSB. Smaller than #1. Petmart got sell.

• SRC Member

The picture of that bag of river sand from Petmart is a bit fuzzy, especially around the price tag area.

Anyway, most aquarium shops sells OEM river sand for SGD8.00 for 5kg bags. If you want crushed corals (coral chips), so far Nature Aquarium is the cheapest - SGD8.00 for 10kg bags - and they have 2 sizes - smallest and smaller. :)

• SRC Member

Are you supposed to rince the river sand before use like the other sand in our tank?

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you