Air stone in Reef Tank

jsoon

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I was at C326 again and realise that they are putting air stones in Marine tank to create bubbles.

I can't remember liao why some people do not do this in their Marine tank. I know by theory that due to high concentration of salt in marine tank, when we pump in air into tank, it will create tiny bubbles but I am not sure what are its ill effects.

Any ideas ?

Well, I personally feel that many LFS moving from FW to SW but retaining the same mindset of FW. If you have a sufficient size skimmer, there is no reason for airstone to exist, and all SW tank should have a skimmer. Unless some people like the look of it.

• SRC Member

I used to run two bubblers (large big bbbles not the fine ones) in a 2ft tank and the ripples it creates is random and pretty cool. You can see the surface moving like real and nice gentle currents throughout. Not really workable in a large tank and the spray is a problem.

Think it's when the bubbles reach the surface, it does the fizzling thing - like when you open a can of soft drink - and the saltwater gets "spray" around the top. When the water dries up, you get salt on whatever that kanna sprayed.

• SRC Member

i just learn a new thing today....

something like... air stone in the tank helps to cool down the tank alot also....

any expert or old bird care to verify???

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
i just learn a new thing today....

something like... air stone in the tank helps to cool down the tank alot also....

any expert or old bird care to verify???

Air bubbles create water movement, which helps dissipate heat more quickly.

But I am no expert.

• SRC Member
:blink: Wah jsoon bro...

someone's gonna come after you with dat avatar!! :lol:

Vincent Ho

for one moment.. i was wondering why terryani was asking tat question until i read on.. i also tried to create those fine bubbles in my tank b4.. but gave up later due to the reasons quoted here..

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif