Safe to convert PL casing to MH

Hondace

Hihi,

I'm thinking of getting a PL case & modified it to fit my MH (fyi : the ballast & etc will be house in an external box). My concern is than will the heat of the MH too hot for the PL casing as it seems most bro here DIY their own MH casing using wood.

I'm a v lousy craftman & lazy too, that's why I rather get something to modify than start from the scratch. Can anyone help or anyone selling MH casing?

Thanks.

• SRC Member
Hihi,

I'm thinking of getting a PL case & modified it to fit my MH (fyi : the ballast & etc will be house in an external box). My concern is than will the heat of the MH too hot for the PL casing as it seems most bro here DIY their own MH casing using wood.

I'm a v lousy craftman & lazy too, that's why I rather get something to modify than start from the scratch. Can anyone help or anyone selling MH casing?

Thanks.

I really do not recommend you use any kind of PL casing to modify. There is absolutely no guarantee it will not catch fire due to extreme heat of the MH bulb.

Even the MH casings are rated according to the wattage....ie a 150W MH casing cannot take the heat of a 250W bulb. Hence its really a dangerous risk to take.

I really do not recommend you use any kind of PL casing to modify. There is absolutely no guarantee it will not catch fire due to extreme heat of the MH bulb.

Even the MH casings are rated according to the wattage....ie a 150W MH casing cannot take the heat of a 250W bulb. Hence its really a dangerous risk to take.

Thanks bro.

I know u r a DIY expert. So wat do u recommend? any shortcut??

BTW, I have an external box with everything done. The only thing i short of is the casing for the 150W SE bulb. U think i can use those downlights casing (eg. those we saw in resturants fitted in the false ceiling, it is silver in colour & dome shape)?

Or u think my old metal studying lamp (the SE bulb can be screw into the ordinary bulb holder too!!)?

:thanks:

Thanks bro.

BTW, I have an external box with everything done. The only thing i short of is the casing for the 150W SE bulb. U think i can use those downlights casing (eg. those we saw in resturants fitted in the false ceiling, it is silver in colour & dome shape)?

Or u think my old metal studying lamp (the SE bulb can be screw into the ordinary bulb holder too!!)?

i ever saw pple got their SE MH from victron... a rectangular box with reflector n bulb... cheap too ;)

• SRC Member

i ever saw pple got their SE MH from victron... a rectangular box with reflector n bulb... cheap too ;)

Yep, but it's very very big. I got mime for 100+, without bulb.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Thanks bro.

No problem bro. I am not a DIY expert. There are many here more experienced than me but just choose not to comment. hahaha

I would advice you to use a actual proper rated casing. These can be purchased from any lighting shop which sells MH. I personally recommend Victron.

Those ceiling types you mentioned are ok but you need to cover the back part properly to prevent accidental exposure to the live wires.

a few pointers:

1) Never use any kind of plastic casing or support

2) Use thick wires as the wattage is very HIGH

3) Position the wires carefully as they can melt under the heat and even burn

4) Use wood only as a support but never as a casing and never use chip board as these are highly flammable.

The temp of a 250W mh is about 300 to 400 degrees.

Check this out

http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/rpi.html