Pulau Au Diving Accident

clammy

There's one page of news in yesterday new paper.

I think it happen in Tioman?

I think instructor plays a major part in every dives and skills trainning. Instructor has to make sure a details briefing of the sites and things to do so that the students or divers understand completely what they are going to do when they are in the water. Besides, Instructors has to make sure that everyone is OK before descending down, and monitor all of them from all the time (especially students).

Just my opinion.

• SRC Member

I'll 2nd that. Dont understand how people can still side the instructor when it is a fact that the students were left on the surface and had to descend by themselves on their 2nd dive??!!

what if they cant equalise?

wwhat if they are not properly weighted?

what if they cant descend?

what if they are pushed away from the descend line by current?

There are too many accidents waiting to happen when new divers are not closely guided and under the watchfull eye of the instructor or the DMs. Briefing is very important, but having a thorough briefing doesnt mean that divers wont panick underwater and do something dangerous.

If having students to descend without a DM or instructor by their side is standard practice, then i will have to say that its not the instructor at fault, but the dive operator who have such loose SOPs.

An urgent review of standard/required practices must be implemented.

• SRC Member

hey guys, think you all should not speculate here. There's no report saying that there's no DM. the report in the paper comes from eye witness which is the gf herself could be in a shock and never give a full account.

so let it rest and do not speculate. The thread in Fins is getting very hot already, dun think we need to repeat that here.

Just treat it as a lesson for yourself and your friends. :peace:

I'll 2nd that. Dont understand how people can still side the instructor when it is a fact that the students were left on the surface and had to descend by  themselves on their 2nd dive??!!

what if they cant equalise?

wwhat if they are not properly weighted?

what if they cant descend?

what if they are pushed away from the descend line by current?

There are too many accidents waiting to happen when new divers are not closely guided and under the watchfull eye of the instructor or the DMs. Briefing is very important, but having a thorough briefing doesnt mean that divers wont panick underwater and do something dangerous.

If having students to descend without a DM or instructor by their side is standard practice, then i will have to say that its not the instructor at fault, but the dive operator who have such loose SOPs.

An urgent review of standard/required practices must be implemented.

I still remember when I took my OWD and in my first dive I can equalise and are in mid water like 5m, my instructor came to me to check with me what's the problem and when he realised I can't do it, we ascent together and make sure I am with the boatman before he continue the dive with other students with the DM staying with the group of 4 students.

My second dives, equalization is OK :yeah: but not properly weighted, so my instructor saw we have bouyancy problem, took an extra weight to put inside my BCD pockets and then everything is smooth. Not just me, I think 3 of us are underweight that time and he sort all this problem for us. I mean this is what an Instructor have to forsee when dealing a new group of students.

By the way, i think the group of 12 students (if not mistaken from the new paper estract) in an OW is too big. No matter how many DM you have there.