Do I need special lighting for these?

yuo , read somewhere that sponge like shady places instead ... correct mi if i am wrong ...

er , as for mh , i will advice u to get mh as it is the best lighting u can provide for ur tank in case u wanna keep light demanding coral or even clam later ....but with mh , u will need chiller ....

t5 could be next alternative too ... ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

sponge dun need light but dun have any preference.. many would advise to keep sponges in shady areas so as to pervent algae growth on it. Algal growth will smother it and impede it's growth or even killing certain parts of it.

Live and Let Live

I thought of a MH for my 2 ft. Anyone know where to get it and the cost for it?

I would suggest that you go with T5 or PL, if chiller is not in your purchase list. MH will heat up your tank very fast.

Even with T5 or PL. A fan has to be there to blow at the tank's water surface, so as to keep the temp down thru evaporation.

But remember, lighting is only part of the equation. Keeping quality water parameter is another part of it too :D

• SRC Member

wow, you mean using MH would increase the temperature of the water so much till i would require a chiller???

hmm.. maybe i should forget abt MH then.

as for T5, is it just the bulb that i change or must i change my entire light including the casing for the lights?

• SRC Member

hmm u have to change everything... since the wattage is higher, u need a bigger ballast.. eAN has nice ATI retrofitted T5 sets... maybe u would wanna go take a look there?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

means the ATI (brand of T5 tubes) fitted onto a holder.. then u can just put the whole thing on the hood of your tank.... hmm maybe u would like to read some of the pinned stuff that has been put up here.. infomative stuff

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead