Coralife Aqua Gloves vs Ferra 15" gloves

Achilles Tang

Hello there aquarists!

Many of us have deep tanks... 2ft deep or even more. While many of us would use tongs to pick up small stuff... there is no way we can move heavy base liverock with them.

Some gung-ho types would use their bare hands and then suffer the consequences of itchiness as their skin gets all pruned up. Worse... some will suffer pain and allergic reactions as a result of scratches by liverock, coral scrapes, bristleworm spikes getting into their skin (the thing I hate the most!) or even having their tank occupants like damsels, clownfishes, rabbitfish, lionfishes, triggerfishes or even tangs bite or scratch you with their spikes.

As much as I try to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible by using my aqua tongs, nothing beats the human hand in its strength, dexterity, precision and gentleness!

So now we need protection! Gloves!

I have bought many kitchen and gardening gloves in the past and used them for protection mainly against scratches caused by liverocks & bristleworm spikes.

So which is the best?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have narrowed down my choices to the Ferra Household latex gloves 15" length. It comes in yellow colour.

ferragloves.jpg

In L size, it's big (not too small even for big asian hands) and comfortable (as it comes with a inner sweat-absorbent cotton lining).

It also has a unique rolled cuff and patterned grip ensures no slipping and a sure grip on things!

It is also made of pure natural latex and is super strong. It comes in 15" length so nano tank workers will stay dry.. heh! It also comes in different sizes to suit different hand sizes.

It gets the best score amongst all the kitchen/gardening gloves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, it offers no protection for the forearm, elbow and upper arm and even if you use rubberbands to around your mid forearm, water is bound to slip in and you end up with water balloon fingers.... making it irritating to work in.

What other glove is there in the market that can keep you dry and offer you protection then?

Well.... there is the Coralife Aqua Gloves!

coralifeaquagloves.jpg

These Aqua Gloves are full arm-length with elastic bands to hold them snugly on the upper arm. The gloves measure 28" in total length and are made of the finest PVC material with fiber reinforced sleeves. Aqua Gloves are designed to allow the hobbyist to work efficiently inside the aquarium without contaminating the water.

The gloves keep arms and hands completely dry, thus avoiding any possibility of skin contact with the water and its inhabitants. Prevents stings and allergic reactions (unless you are allergic to PVC, haha!)

The Aqua Gloves come in a tacky red and purple colour and while not meant to be worn in public as it will make you a fashion nightmare... it is, IMO, the best gloves for working in-tank!

Even with my long arms, the gloves go right up to my armpits and I have no problems keeping my whole arm dry! The glove also prevents glass 'burns' as the sensitive skin of your inner arms don't scrap against the glass edge.

The gloves feels thick and you will feel very secured in manuevering heavy or sharp rocks and corals. It may even feel tough enough to prevent a lionfish spike from going through so catching a lionfish with your gloved hands may be a possibility. (JOKING!!!! Don't even think of trying it!)

I guess for those who hate moving slimy anemones will appreciate these gloves!

It is perfect for those with 2 feet deep tanks as you won't get to show your tank inhabitants your 'smelly hairy black urchin' :) , any deeper than 2 feet, well, they haven't made gloves that cover your upper torso yet!

coralifeaquaglovesonarm.jpg

Note: the Coralife Aqua Gloves were imported from the USA as LFS here don't have them. They also come only in 1 size... extra large... so those with small hands will not qualify as an ER assistant in those gloves!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So which of the above 2 gloves reviewed here is suitable?

Both are!!!

The Ferra latex gloves are excellent for quick use especially when you need to move liverock out of boxes into a shallow tank, or for handling livestock like anemones. Nothing that involves deep water, it's perfect. You will feel very comfortable with them! For in tank use... it's uncomfortable to use due to the water balloon effect.

The Coralife Aqua Gloves are for in-tank use and offers excellent protection against water and scrapes. However, due to its air/watertightness, your arm will start to sweat as there is no ventilation inside and because it doesn't have a cotton lining... comfort is zero!

Oh well... there's no such thing as a perfect glove! Hope the above review helps!

ferrraandaquagloves.jpg

------ A Product Review by Achilles Tang ------

• SRC Member

hmm.. the coralife gloves do look good.. yes, i hate it when those bristleworms spike hits my hands.. how much are those? lifespan?? now with that glove, i dun have to add "additives" from my "hanging garden of eden".. hehehe

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Oh that's what you call it!

I call it the 'smelly hairy black urchin'

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

AT, where can i get those 'shelters' for our "black sea urchins".. hahaha.. any idea how much? :blink:

• SRC Member

overseas?? wah lau.. how much man.. hmmm.. perhaps i go australia to see whether do they have it.. if so, then can compare prices...

• 10 months later...
  • SRC Member

just to add i tried sourcing for the gloves on the net for 25mins already and thats why i posted the msg =)... all i found was those that only delivers in the United States, England and other coutries except Singapore sigh~

Cheeros~

• SRC Member
hi AT could you supply us with the URL you use to order? coz i'm sure there are other bros who wanna get a pair... (inculding me) :(

Cheeros~

Indeed...AT, pls tell us the URL as I may get people to help me bring it back from States. Anybody want 'tongbang'? If must be delivered to a USA address, I may be able to help but should expect delivery to Singapore around late November.