DI filter

lion

• SRC Member

You can't replace the resin, usually if the resin cannot be regenerated, then the whole tube is discarded.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I have one, but I'm not sure if there's more harm using it than not using it. Why? Read on...

This is what I found out from digging around in the net. I cannot remember specifics, but in general:

1) The type of DI tube we are talking about here is a 'mixed bed' DI tube. Technically, it is possible to regenerate it. But it is a long, costly process. I do not think LFS here can regenerate it and certainly not at the price quoted. In short, I simply don't know what they do with it and say that the tube is regenerated.

2) There are many types of resins in the market. Cheap lousy ones (questionable) and expensive effective ones (Dow Corning's , I think). What I remember is that, based on the price we are paying for in Singapore, we have the cheap lousy ones.

3) Regardless of how clean we think Singapore water is, if tap water is passed through a DI tube without going thru an RO filter, the resins are rendered ineffective very very quickly.

So there you go, you can draw your own conclusion or contribute your knowledge.

For me, when I have the time, I'm going to dismantle that expensive tube, throw everything inside away and fill it up to make my own filter tube with GAC, phsophate remover, nitrate remover (if there's a good one), polyfilter and others (not sure what they will be yet)

Too bad Newater is mixed with reservoir water. Otherwise pure Newater will be perfect for our water pets!

• SRC Member

Yup, using DI without a RO unit will discharge resins very quickly. Pros and Cons.

Using a RO unit will also mean a high water wastage but preserves the DI longer.

I have not used a RO unit before so i dont know how good are they. Just find the RO prices in LFS here are generally expensive compared to US online stores.

• SRC Member
can show me what you guys are talking about ? Where to buy ?

any website to refer ?

Limpc

Hi Limpc,

If we r all talking about the same thing, then it should look like the pic below.

Its available in most of the lfs; op, sealife,...

If i remembered correctly, 1 tube can last about 50 pails (those coralife bucket)

If in doubt, can bring some water sample (after filtered by the DI tube) back to the lfs and they will test for u if DI is depleted or not.

That's the disadvantage of this product.

you have to keep track how many pails u use.....

post-17-1047103981.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Limpc,

If we r all talking about the same thing, then it should look like the pic below.

Its available in most of the lfs; op, sealife,...

If i remembered correctly, 1 tube can last about 50 pails (those coralife bucket)

If in doubt, can bring some water sample (after filtered by the DI tube) back to the lfs and they will test for u if DI is depleted or not.

That's the disadvantage of this product.

you have to keep track how many pails u use.....

What if they tell you it's depleted to sell you a replacement cartridge?

• SRC Member

dunno man :P

but the owner of the lfs i bought this from is quite steady.

Not those "luan luan lai" type.

Anyway, I'm open to any other similar product/suggestion of about the same price.

Heard Petmart is also selling some sort of DI filter a while back.

Has anyone try it ?

• SRC Member

I think that maybe it would be better to attach it straight to a tap.... Having it in the shower makes the water go thru the heater first which might add more impurities and use up the filter faster.

What is the brand?

TTboy,

Yes, water wastage is about 4:1. But the waste water need not and should not go down the drain. They can still be collected to wash the toilet, mop the floor, wash the car, make water balloons etc.

Locally sold RO/DI is really costly. If you really want one, check out www.airwaterice.com. US reefers seem not to have negative comments about their products. They have those that are not pump driven - perfect for us. Also have one that has two outlets - one that doesn't do thru a DI section for human consumption and another that goes thru the DI filter for the fish!

Problem is bringing it in at a decent price. I almost laid my hands on one (the home/reef use model) except my colleague in the US wasn't keen to help me bring it here when he found out the size. Perhaps on my next business trip there ....

i sent my DI tube to the LFS and the boss used the electronic meter to test the quality on the spot, so as to check whether need to change new tube or not. :)

what type of electronic meter the lfs use to test the di water

The one that I am using now is 6" diameter*18"high (inch) 6 liter, three year back I send it to the factory they change the rising for me cost me about $70,and I lost the contact.

Another factory give me $5.00 per kg min 25kg but DIY and I can keep the rest of the rising.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

What if we dont use the DI and use the water straight from the our HDB tap?

What will it cause?

The fairly high levels of sillicate and phosphate as well as unwanted substances will accumulate in the tank with water top-offs, causing nuisance algae to grow really fast.