in deep study of RTN the deadly stuff

• SRC Member

Hope this helps to Sps reefers

Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Bacterial-Induced Tissue Necrosis

Both of these describe syndromes where acropora and other SPS corals rapidly (or not so rapidly) slough tissue from thier skeletons. Similar syndromes have been described in the wild. There are several patterns of tissue loss. In the first case, the coral rapidly loses tissue from the skeleotn. When the coral is subjected to current, many times large clouds of coral tissue will be seen sloughing from the skeleton.

I've had the organism that causes this disease cultured. It appears to be one type of Vibrio vulnificus. What is Vibrio? Well, Vibrio bacteria are actually the most common class of marine bacteria. Most of the bacteria in the ocean are one kind of Vibrio or another. Many of them are good citizens. Some of them are luminescent, and help deepwater fish and squid be bioluminescent. This is a symbiotic relationship between the larger host organism and the bacteria. Moreover, the symbiosis is often intracellular. So Vibrio can get inside cells of higher organisms.

Not all Vibrio are good characters, however. Several of them arepathogenic. For example, Vibrio cholerae causes cholera in humans. Vibrio vulnificus is the leading cause of seafood-related deaths in theUnited States, and is a major source of infections in open wounds exposedto seawater in warm regions of the world's oceans.

The organims which seems to cause rapid tissue necrosis in corals has the biochemical signature of Vibrio vulnificus. I've had it cultured, others have as well. I'm in the process of fulfilling Koch's postulate with the organism, and showing that it causes disease in corals by placing clean corals in contact with the organism.Vibrio vulnificus is a tough customer. It secretes powerful proteases into its environment. It can liquefy wounds in humans. In corals, it seems to break the bonds between cells and between the coral and the skeleton, which leads to sloughing of tissue.

• SRC Member
Hope this helps to Sps reefers

Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Bacterial-Induced Tissue Necrosis

Both of these describe syndromes where acropora and other SPS corals rapidly (or not so rapidly) slough tissue from thier skeletons. Similar syndromes have been described in the wild. There are several patterns of tissue loss. In the first case, the coral rapidly loses tissue from the skeleotn. When the coral is subjected to current, many times large clouds of coral tissue will be seen sloughing from the skeleton.

I've had the organism that causes this disease cultured. It appears to be one type of Vibrio vulnificus. What is Vibrio? Well, Vibrio bacteria are actually the most common class of marine bacteria. Most of the bacteria in the ocean are one kind of Vibrio or another. Many of them are good citizens. Some of them are luminescent, and help deepwater fish and squid be bioluminescent. This is a symbiotic relationship between the larger host organism and the bacteria. Moreover, the symbiosis is often intracellular. So Vibrio can get inside cells of higher organisms.

Not all Vibrio are good characters, however. Several of them arepathogenic. For example, Vibrio cholerae causes cholera in humans. Vibrio vulnificus is the leading cause of seafood-related deaths in theUnited States, and is a major source of infections in open wounds exposedto seawater in warm regions of the world's oceans.

The organims which seems to cause rapid tissue necrosis in corals has the biochemical signature of Vibrio vulnificus. I've had it cultured, others have as well. I'm in the process of fulfilling Koch's postulate with the organism, and showing that it causes disease in corals by placing clean corals in contact with the organism.Vibrio vulnificus is a tough customer. It secretes powerful proteases into its environment. It can liquefy wounds in humans. In corals, it seems to break the bonds between cells and between the coral and the skeleton, which leads to sloughing of tissue.

wow you've had the organism that causes this dreaded disease cultured? :blink:

AP...I think he was quoting someone lah..If a local reefer were to culture vibrio it would be me! If I did'nt remember wrongly vibrio would be capsule shaped. Quite attractive as a microscopic pet. :eyebrow::upsidedown:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
AP...I think he was quoting someone lah..If a local reefer were to culture vibrio it would be me! If I did'nt remember wrongly vibrio would be capsule shaped. Quite attractive as a microscopic pet.  :eyebrow:  :upsidedown:

oh ok.....thought we getting advance here....he..he

you first to culture and cure ah? Like that must send my SPS in future to be cured by antibiotics....he..he

• SRC Member

If RTN is indeed cause by Vibrio spp. as predicted 5-6 years ago, antibiotics would have worked wonders but unfortunately, it is not that simple. I think the bacteria are opportunistic and not the root cause of RTN.

What's the date and author of the article?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif