Need pump recommendation for chiller

dtdream

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I’m planning to either get a teco-500 or hailea 500a chiller. But I’m extremely particular about the sound of the pump needed to circulate the water into the chiller. Just for some idea on how particular I am, I initially got a sicce silent 3.5 for my tank’s return pump, but found that it is too noisy. I got a reef octopus varios 4 instead and it’s much better. 

teco-500 minimum flow rate is 400L/hr

hailea 500a recommended flow rate is 2500-5000L/hr

While it is interesting that such a different flow rate is required for similarly water volume rated chillers, that is another topic altogether.

Can anyone advise what is the quietest pump I can buy for either of the above chillers?

Condenser option is out as I do not have the space to do so.

• 3 months later...
Hi guys, I’m planning to either get a teco-500 or hailea 500a chiller. But I’m extremely particular about the sound of the pump needed to circulate the water into the chiller. Just for some idea on how particular I am, I initially got a sicce silent 3.5 for my tank’s return pump, but found that it is too noisy. I got a reef octopus varios 4 instead and it’s much better. 
teco-500 minimum flow rate is 400L/hr
hailea 500a recommended flow rate is 2500-5000L/hr
While it is interesting that such a different flow rate is required for similarly water volume rated chillers, that is another topic altogether.
Can anyone advise what is the quietest pump I can buy for either of the above chillers?
Condenser option is out as I do not have the space to do so.
I am not an expert but just to share my experience with using eheim filters and pumps have been very satified in terms of power and realiability and as for noise, its quite soft although slight humming sounds could still be heard from within 1m. Not sure how it will compare to rest though, just my views.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, o2bubble said:

I am not an expert but just to share my experience with using eheim filters and pumps have been very satified in terms of power and realiability and as for noise, its quite soft although slight humming sounds could still be heard from within 1m. Not sure how it will compare to rest though, just my views.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks! Yea I ended up getting another reef octopus and it’s almost dead silent, happy with it!

• SRC Member
On 8/29/2021 at 5:20 PM, dtdream said:

Thanks! Yea I ended up getting another reef octopus and it’s almost dead silent, happy with it!

Do update us on the setup & chiller performance :) Did you go for the Teco or Hailea?

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, mhcraft said:

Do update us on the setup & chiller performance :) Did you go for the Teco or Hailea?

Hey! I ended up with and Arctica DBA-075 instead. Had good experience with Arctica in the past. Plus if any issues they can do servicing on site. Running a Varios 2 as the chiller pump, lowest setting. 

Performance wise not much complaints. Able to chill my water volume approx 345L (reefer 350) at 26.5c setting fairly efficiently. 

• SRC Member

Yea I am using Arctica and it has zero issues for me so far...just have to do servicing annually.

Wow..i am surprised that 1/10 is able to chill your reefer 350L - i would assume you would need at least a 1/5. How often does it kicks off?

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, mhcraft said:

Yea I am using Arctica and it has zero issues for me so far...just have to do servicing annually.

Wow..i am surprised that 1/10 is able to chill your reefer 350L - i would assume you would need at least a 1/5. How often does it kicks off?

The 1/10 is supposedly rated for 490L, so with the reefer 350 at approx 345L,  it is supposed to be sufficient.

My tank is in an air-con environment during the day, or at least when I’m there, so I would say it works fine. About 2-3 hours kick in one time, lasting about 30-40mins to cool. But if no aircon, it takes quite abit more time to cool, maybe 45-50mins, and kicks in more often too, maybe 1-2 hours, depending on light intensity and overall ambient temperature. Rainy days better, etc. 

In hindsight I would probably should have gotten one size up. I think the rating for 490L if no intense light is ok. But I’m running T5s and LED, so current 1/10 is slightly underpowered imo. 

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, dtdream said:

The 1/10 is supposedly rated for 490L, so with the reefer 350 at approx 345L,  it is supposed to be sufficient.

My tank is in an air-con environment during the day, or at least when I’m there, so I would say it works fine. About 2-3 hours kick in one time, lasting about 30-40mins to cool. But if no aircon, it takes quite abit more time to cool, maybe 45-50mins, and kicks in more often too, maybe 1-2 hours, depending on light intensity and overall ambient temperature. Rainy days better, etc. 

In hindsight I would probably should have gotten one size up. I think the rating for 490L if no intense light is ok. But I’m running T5s and LED, so current 1/10 is slightly underpowered imo. 

Ah yes, i forgot your tank is in your office! I would think 1/10 still too small for your size..i usually take the rating and divide by half :) but i think it worked out fine for you considering your setup.

I'd probably go for Arctica if I need to upgrade :) I am currently using 1/15 for my 20G and still it takes 30 mins to chill and 1/15 is rated for 40G if i am not mistaken.

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, mhcraft said:

Ah yes, i forgot your tank is in your office! I would think 1/10 still too small for your size..i usually take the rating and divide by half :) but i think it worked out fine for you considering your setup.

I'd probably go for Arctica if I need to upgrade :) I am currently using 1/15 for my 20G and still it takes 30 mins to chill and 1/15 is rated for 40G if i am not mistaken.

Haha yep it’s not too bad for me, still ok. 

Yea imo Arctica is probably the “best”’ of the currently available chillers. Except drop in coil I think that is best-est, lol.