How hot does a 250W DE get?

FuEl

Was thinking of a single 250W DE MH over my 2X2X1.5 (height). Total water volume will be around 250+ liters as I will have a large sump. I was thinking if I could prevent heat from the MH from getting into the water by using maybe 1-2 profantec fans blowing on the water surface for surface agitation and evaporative cooling. The fans would be on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Anyone successfully cooled their tanks using fans while on a 250W MH? I will be running on a single external MD55 for returns.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Was thinking of a single 250W DE MH over my 2X2X1.5 (height). Total water volume will be around 250+ liters as I will have a large sump. I was thinking if I could prevent heat from the MH from getting into the water by using maybe 1-2 profantec fans blowing on the water surface for surface agitation and evaporative cooling. The fans would be on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Anyone successfully cooled their tanks using fans while on a 250W MH? I will be running on a single external MD55 for returns.

20K will be slight cooler.........10K very hot.........

• SRC Member

woah.. if SE is cooler then I Think I'll change to 250W SE man... my 150W DE already quite hot... anyway in the daytime with all lights off and one 12" fan blowing at water surface my tank temp is still almost 28 leh... ur place very cooling huh... sianz... maybe my pumps too hot...

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
250W is 250W, makes no difference if the bulb is 10000K or 20000K, only wavelength difference, same heat output. Try the fan, for 1 MH you may well be ok

I tot wave length goes hand in hand with light energy & therefore higher light energy contributes to higher heat energy?

Eric

I think it's best to have a chiller. I was using 250w DE while I had my 3ft tank. About 11 inches from water surface. The temp managed to go ard 26-27 only because at night I have my aircon on. In the day turn on profantic fan. Balances out quite well. But if purely on fan, it will prob average 27-29? Not forgetting the hot spell experienced just a month ago. I believe can even hit 30 with just a profantic fan during the hot season. That's why I always have a tank in my room. At night, sleep with aircon. Helps alot. Save money on chiller and can cool myself and the tank...only issue is balancing the temperature fluctuations.

"Save a reef, grow your own"

woah.. if SE is cooler then I Think I'll change to 250W SE man... my 150W DE already quite hot... anyway in the daytime with all lights off and one 12" fan blowing at water surface my tank temp is still almost 28 leh... ur place very cooling huh... sianz... maybe my pumps too hot...

12" fan :shock: So big. Maybe you can try using 2 profantec fans to blow the surface. I find them very powerful and effective.

As for me, when light off, temp can go down to 25.5 during the day. I on MH from 1600H-0100H, with actinic from 1500H-0200H.