Running 2 Skimmers

Hi all,

I have a 3 footer running on a redsea prizm skimmer and cannister filter. However, i am planning to set up a sump and i have a spare weipro 2011 rated for 2 ft. Can i run both the weipro and the prizm skimmer together and achieve the effect of a better skimmer like Aqua C??? :angel:

thanks

• SRC Member

Experience and many attempts by reefers have shown that one big skimmer beats two small ones.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Hi all,

I have a 3 footer running on a redsea prizm skimmer and cannister filter. However, i am planning to set up a sump and i have a spare weipro 2011 rated for 2 ft. Can i run both the weipro and the prizm skimmer together and achieve the effect of a better skimmer like Aqua C??? :angel:

thanks

I'm running a weipro 2012 (4" x 21") and a bigger Macro skimmer (7" x 20") in my sump now, both using Sicce Extrema.......... & both skim well.......you can tune one for wet and one for dry.

Eric

Bro,

you can try, but if you have the budget, go for a bigger, better skimmer like H&S or AquaC... it will be a good piece of equipment, I used to tink having 2 skimmers can liao... but having 2 skimmers too close to one another actually kills the performance of one, or maybe even both the skimmers...

Juz my $0.02...

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Bro,

you can try, but if you have the budget, go for a bigger, better skimmer like H&S or AquaC... it will be a good piece of equipment, I used to tink having 2 skimmers can liao... but having 2 skimmers too close to one another actually kills the performance of one, or maybe even both the skimmers...

Juz my $0.02...

yup...listen to someone with experience...bro Rav used to own 2 sets of weipro...but with 2 sets, the performance is still not as good as a single H&S...

Think of it this way..let's say the smaller model of X brand protein skimmer has about 30% efficiency due to low chamber height and diameter. If you use 2 maximum efficiency is only at 60%. If you use the largest model of X brand protein skimmer which has a larger chamber diameter and much higher, the efficiency could easily be 80-90% which beats using 2 smaller skimmers.

Another factor would be bubble size and contact time of the organics with the bubbles...normal skimmers might use airstone or venturi effect to create the bubbles. Brands like AquaC make use of spray injection. Spray injection would create smaller bubbles, leading to better skimming efficiency. You'll have to use a couple of weipros to match the efficiency of an AquaC.

A better option would be sell the prizm, save the $$ meant for the weipro & with a little top up get a better skimmer that will easily outperform both. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Think of it this way..let's say the smaller model of X brand protein skimmer has about 30% efficiency due to low chamber height and diameter. If you use 2 maximum efficiency is only at 60%. If you use the largest model of X brand protein skimmer which has a larger chamber diameter and much higher, the efficiency could easily be 80-90% which beats using 2 smaller skimmers.

Another factor would be bubble size and contact time of the organics with the bubbles...normal skimmers might use airstone or venturi effect to create the bubbles. Brands like AquaC make use of spray injection. Spray injection would create smaller bubbles, leading to better skimming efficiency. You'll have to use a couple of weipros to match the efficiency of an AquaC.

A better option would be sell the prizm, save the $$ meant for the weipro & with a little top up get a better skimmer that will easily outperform both. ;)

I agree.... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg