Setting up a FOWL tank?

u can use all u mentioned, but if eventually u move into reef, u would

find it isn't good enough.

probably need to change filter equipment to sump

i recommend to go as natural as possible.

use LR and LS.

Tat means I mentioned s above is enough lah....I won go into reef cos i ard hav 1...hope there are more comments from sucess FOWLR keeper

Thks a million!

• SRC Member

Hi!

I started a FOWLR in January 2004 and now I'm thinking for swithing to reef...

I had started off like you want with a tank, a hang on skimmer and a canister. My tank is 4x1.5x1.5. I added 32 kg LR (the more the better). I put a 1" SSB of 2-3mm sand for aesthetic reasons that I can siphon easily so it remains nice. It all worked great. In fact since I started, not a single fish has died :P - stock up slow and QT before introducing if it seems necessary!!! (i have about 10 now). The only problem is that nitrates tend to rise steadily... They're now at 20PPM and i'm campaining to reduce them with sustainable natural methods. Oh, temperature is quite hard to keep below 30C aswell I found, so I got a chiller (Hence an extra pump in the tank!!!)

Recently I had to go through a bit of trouble to add in a sump with a DSB/refugium. But now, I only have the overflow and 2 PH in the tank now. the chiller runs on the return pump. Clean tank without the meters of pipes hanging around :D

I think starting of with a sump even for a FOWLR is good because it gives you flexibility and greatly reduces the amount of equipment in the tank or hanging on the tank. The sump can actually replace the canister filter and it allows you to try out more things. If I were to restart knowing what I know, I would go for a sump. Seems to make things more complicated, but in the long run it actually makes things a lot easier. B)

Nitrates are comming down, next step is to get the MH lights and then I'll be able to get corals. :rolleyes:

I hope this helps you!

Thks pal for sharing yr experience... :D

actually I hav a 24" x 18" x15" FOWLR tank liao with sump and the whole system running perfectly alrite...but the thing is the iron rod stand is startin to rust and I am thinking of upgrading it to a cabinet and bigger one so i won face this problem and can keep more fishes....

As u no cabinet tanks with sump are always more x...and I just got a reef tank set recently which cost me an amount liao therefore thinking of getting a cheaper set without sump and just with canister and liverocks...but not too sure whether can be done or not...so hav to ask for advice... :erm:

Well...guess hav to search ard more to c can get a cheaper set with sump...hai... :cry2:

• SRC Member

Maybe using a stainless steel stand be suit your budget with a sump include.

just to share with you 3X2X2 (80 gallons) with a stainless steel stand is about $460+.

But due to certain reason I have drop the upgrade to a FOWLR and going for fresh water tanwk.

Currently have a 20 gallons

Regards,

Moxa