Maximum number of tangs?

skimmer.....ok no problem.

So basically alright to have quite alot of tangs in a tank....just different species of tangs. Any particular tang to avoid...in terms of its aggresive behaviour?

Tang police around?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

2. get rid of most of the filter cloth

3. First Buy!!! Skimz FR with Sorb4 and eheim pump

4. Re-doing the sump.....I~aquatic doing up the plans.

5. Lighting MH+T5 or T5 only? how many?

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

8. check valve on the return line to prevent sump overflow (great idea)

9. Refugium? Anything to replace it? a FR of some sort maybe?

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

3x False Percula Clownfish

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRC tang police has just announced that his job is to enourage pple to keep tangs. I guess you can go ahead and he won't bug you lol....

Tangs to avoid are super aggressive ones like sohal.

You know the other day I added a powder brown and my AT went straight for it and before the bugger knows the AT has wack till it has fainted... with the body curved lying on the sandbed. I though it has died if not for the breathing. I just net it out into my FOWLR :P

What I do is for the first tang I buy the smallest possible. Then the size gets larger, this will give the new tang more chance to fight off the larger one.

However sometimes size don't count my AT still wack the hell out of my sohal which is more than twice it's size till it goes into hiding.

Tang Police under CPIB investigation for not doing his job and violating personal conduct. :lol:

Eh mine is SRC TANG POLICE not "RC" notice the difference. Both carry out different order.... RC tang police main duty is to stop ppl from adding tang and also try to persecute SRC tang police and the person is me

Hey Mr Mata..... can you posted the list of your tangs..... you said highly recommended to keep tangs hor? Now I am your big supporter lol.

My list ah-

1)2cm yellow tang

2)4cm regal tang

3)8cm sohal

4)8cm atlantic blue tang

List not complete as i have not upgrade my tank

• SRC Member

Eh mine is SRC TANG POLICE not "RC" notice the difference. Both carry out different order.... RC tang police main duty is to stop ppl from adding tang and also try to persecute SRC tang police and the person is me

"RC" tang police is to stop pple frm addin tang! U sure u nvr discouarge pple frm havin more than 1 tang in their small tank before? :evil: . :P

I can dig out those thread if u wan :P .

Mayb u wanna list down a list of duties tat r perform by the SRC Tang Police. :yeah:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Supporter

for kole,make sure its feeding in lfs..

some people thinks that kole feeds easily,but i have experince feeding pproblem, until i left mine at lfs and make sure its feeding before getting it,now its feeding in my tank like apig! hahaha

was told by a lfs owner that the first 2 weeks for kole tangs are the most important week,any problem will happen. e.g diesease. :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

from what i've read, i think powder blue tang is quite hard to keep. ICH problem could be quite regular. Any other examples of acantharus?

Anyway my tank is about 3 months old. I think still quite new but starting to get a but brave as all the livestock, that i've recently added( 1.5months ago) all seems to be doing well.

Currently I have 8 tangs in my 4 footer and they are getting along and feeding quite well...esp.Lettuce...the 8 of them are Sohal(latest n biggest),Alantic Blue(2nd largest), YT,Dory,Pacific Sailfin, Brown Tang, Brown Tang w/white tail, Grey Tang w/blue dots.(Pardon me for not knowing their names :paiseh: )

Tried the 3 famous powder family members but cannot fight over the ich battle...hai... :(

Act. got try a PT before ,although bigger than my YT but ganna whack left right center by him....luckily still can recover and survive in my 2 footer.Now happily inside cos it is the biggest n only tang in there.... :D

"RC" tang police is to stop pple frm addin tang! U sure u nvr discouarge pple frm havin more than 1 tang in their small tank before? :evil: . :P

I can dig out those thread if u wan :P .

Mayb u wanna list down a list of duties tat r perform by the SRC Tang Police. :yeah:

Yup... I did ever stop ppl from adding or buying tangs for a period of time but the result i got was not very good.... Singaporean dun really listen(FYI i am from fiji) :lol::lol: thus when you can't persuade them, join them :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
oh...ok. Pardon the ignorance but very new to this marine business. Need all the help i can get. SO you recommend getting another species?

You mention acantharus? What are examples of acantharus? Sorry to ask such lame questions but limited books avail where i am. If i get anothere species tang, will size normally be consideration?

Reeflobang....wow 4tangs in 2.5ft tank...wow!!! what were the othere 2 besides sailfina and blue tang?

bro,this website may help you.

http://www.saltcorner.com/800/index800.htm

• SRC Member

Since most Tangs are medium to large with adults growing to about 8" to 10" (they are also many larger species) and they are active swimmers. As such, they need tanks of at least 4'x2'x2' ie even for the smallest species.

So how many can Tangs can I add?

If the fish size is 4" now then for a 4'x2'x2, you can have a max of 15 fishes for a bare tank. But this is not realistic as we have not taken into account of the LR which may occupies more than 1/3 of the swimming space.

For practicality, 6 Tangs are an acceptable quantity if your tank does not have any other fishes for a 4'x2'x2' but would rather prefer as big a tank as possible and also catering for your fish growth as time goes by.

Unless your new Tang is a short-lived one!

I had also commented in other related Tang threads that mixing Tangs with other Tangs is very tricky and it is important to provide enough hiding caves, choose fish of different appearance ie ideally in shape and color.

Keeping Tangs of the same species is more difficult but there is always a rare exception. The only exceptions are the Regal and Yellow Tangs which are most likely in succeed in group of at least five (introduced at the same time) in the aquarium tank.

One important point to note is to add the less territorial fish first and to make sure that there is plenty of hiding places to avoid "planting my flag-pole" ie avoid competition of other tangs protection their territory hiding place.

Not the other way around otherwise the less territorial ones will end up "buried" into the depth of your sandbed :D

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

Thanks for the info guys. Just got a PBT yesterday about 5 inches and the biggest fish of the lot. My purple tang still getting bullied by teh yellow and brown tang......condition still ok though.

Might have to try rearranging the liverocks and see how that goes.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

not using uv though i hav 1 tinkin tis weekend free maybe set it up for use. my tank is juz onli 3ft but quite stable cause 1.5yrs liao sand use frm my old 4ft tank. its a fish onli tank with no live rocks.skimmer juz broke gettin 1 tml.lets c what i hav in there.

1) 1 x emperor angel

2) 1 x arabian angel

3) 1 x half moon angel

4) 1 x six bar angel

5) 1 x blue face angel

6) 1 x sohal tang

7) 1 x sailfin tang

8) 1 x mata tang

9) 2 x purple tang

10) 1 x tomini tang i tink (eye yellow colour)

11) 1 x loti garoupa

12) 1 x formosa garoupa

13) 1 x tomato clown

14) 3 x lobsters(dun knoe name)

currently settin up my 2.5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with 1.5ft x 1ft x 1ft sump tank with a 5ft x 3ft x 2ft fiber tank to act as my plenum. will be putting my emperor,sohal,lobsters,formosa,loti and maybe half moon and arabian into the fiber tank once the setup has been completed n running smoothly. will use the 2.5ft main tank as a coral tank and put some of the smaller tangs n blue face angel inside. the old 3ft tank will most probably be used as a hospital tank will a few more lobsters thrown in to breed for chinese new yr dinner :P

Yeah....garlic does wonders. Added garlic to my fishes diet and since less visible ich. Not using UV light.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

By the way, the advice about getting different species of tangs works well. My PBT is getting along well with the rest. However my yellow and brown tangs still chasing the life out of my purple tang. How leh??

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish