Let's talk about Flow

• SRC Member

I have been having this tank for almost a year but in recent months I have noticed that there is quite abit of floating matter in the display tank.  I use filter cups with filter media in my sump and what not but doesn't help much.  I tried to move my wavemakers to the positions marked with X blowing at the rock work but still not much luck.  I have a feeling it is the flow that is the issue I am facing.  Was wondering if the experts can give me some thoughts as to how I should position my wavemakers considering my outlet flow is more or less cast in stone by the Y nozzle.

front1.jpg

side.jpeg

• SRC Member

Look at it this way,  having plenty of floating matters in the display tank in fact means you have reasonable flow. The particulate matters are prevented from settling down and detritus build up in dead spots. 

What's your sump turnover rate? Do you have any mechanical filtration? 

• SRC Member

Not sure how t count sump turnover, but I am using a jerboa mdc 5000 pump set at 61% strength at the advice of the set up guys.  I have filter cottons in a filter cup with chemipure blue for mechanical filtration.

I was hoping to position the flow such that the particles go into the over flow.

Edited by Validator

• SRC Member

Are the “floating matters” always there or occasionally seen?

You need to establish if these are being churned up from within the display area itself or are being thrown up from your sump.

if Sump, then it’s time to clean the sump and probably the bio media.

If from display, can have several reasons. A few of them like, maybe your flow is too strong. To me,  2 wave makers for what I think looks like a 2ft tank is a bit overkill. Or you added something into tank that redirected the flow pattern thus new flow stream is flushing out dead areas.

Howeve in general, these should slowly clear up, as your water is being slowly filtered through your filter sponge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Dotty, I try to track one of the floating debris and it seems to circle.  I shifted my wave maker to a lower spot to try to coax the debris to go into the downflow.  Didn't help much.

Yes I am using a 2 feet cube Red Sea 200XL.  Not sure if it is over kill, but my wavemakers are also at less than 40%.  But the jebao wave makers I am having some trouble setting them to gyre or pulse.  I guess that's what you get for being cheap.  

I was thinking of getting one of those random flow generators but I don't see many people here using them.  Nor can I find them on sale.