Ammonia : does it affect corals ?

• SRC Member

hi Guys,

i was at one LFS last weekend and I overheard one of the LFS guy guiding a newbie on how to setup his new tank.

What cought my attention was he said, the "cycling" process for coral reef system is not necesary. Ammonia --> NO2(??) --> NO3(??) only affects Life Stocks such as fishes/etc...etc... but not coral.

it can tolerate the cycling process... so the newbie shouldn't worry that much...

is there any truth in this ?

Eric.

ammonia kill all even with little concentration ...

nearly kanna con by LFS too ... told mi the same thing but i was quick to reply him that he dun know what he is selling and i simply walk away ... :angry:

unethical LFS like to tell newbizs all these... haiz

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Which shops did you go to ? better don't go there :lol: I think their all intoxicated with ammonia.

a normal LFS in t@#pin#s... his system is generally cycled and i remember when i told him i will only stock up when my system is cycled ...he told mi 'aiya coral not afraid of ammonia one lah ' so piss of with him... dunno why still so piss off even though it is like 8 months ago <_<

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
Is this the same LFS that the ah peh throw the cigarette ash into the tank ?

Dont think so lah.

It seem like it is one of those neighbourhood one. We have quite a few.

I can still remember about 6 months ago when someone told me that red snapper is funny. They moment I add to my tank it took my blood shrimp. :angry:

Then he tries to be expert in sun coral...tell me this and that when his sun coral is not even opening at all.

Recently, his show tank crashed and everything is gone.

hmmmm...... if u dun believe ammonia is that toxic, u can always try to put a little frag of whatever hardiest coral u can find into a container and piss in it....... c what happens the next day.

juz joking!!! ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Long time ago, I was given the same information by A***mart. What a joke. I think it is better to read reefing books or research on the Net. Or listen to real reefing experts in RC or SRC. LFS info can be so bad at times, I wonder if they are really pro or just out to make your money. Sorry if I offend anybody.