How to eradicate aiptasia?

• SRC Member

My tank's aiptasia is blooming. :lol:

Have tried 3 peppermints. Though they are known to do the job (slear my sump's aipts), they never had any chance in the main tank before becoming tim sum for my sunrise dotty. No way to catch the bugger out.

Any other methods to kill the aipts?

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
My tank's aiptasia is blooming. :lol:

Have tried 3 peppermints. Though they are known to do the job (slear my sump's aipts), they never had any chance in the main tank before becoming tim sum for my sunrise dotty. No way to catch the bugger out.

Any other methods to kill the aipts?

Try the copperband butterfly, train the copperband to feed on watever food you give then drop his food on the aiptasia, the copperband will "think" the aiptasia is part of their food and thus feed on the aiptasia.

Eric

• SRC Member

u will need two water droppers....... fill the first water dropper with concentrated kalkwasser...... turn off all water circulation device in ur tank..... blow the kalkwasser over the aiptasia... by now that devil will go in a shock and loosen its grip on the LR.... use the second dripper and suck that aiptasia out and throw away...... hope it helps...

• SRC Member

i think i spend a bomb to solve this problem ;) bought 2 peppermint from P*R* and 2 from LCK = $70 and all disappear for no reason. until i got 2 from ML, then they survive until today and all my aiptasia problem resolved. b4 then tried Kalk injection, etc... but return after a few days <_<

Peppermints work. Full stop. No way in hell you can get behind rocks and in crannies where your hand can't reach. ;)

The other biological control is using a Copperband... but it will also make short work of some of your inverts, especially tubeworms. And there could also be some corners it can't reach.

If you are really fed up.. you can remove the rocks and then kill the aiptasia manually by brushing it off, boiling the rock, burning it etc.

From my experience, peppermints are hardy shrimps and they are extremely GOOD HIDERS.

It took me a few weeks to find them and I needed a strong torch and 'hunting' late in the night to spot them.

Your peppermints are properly still alive if there are no predators around and if they were acclimatized well in the first place.

They are usually upside down under ledges so you have to angle upwards with the torch... ;)

They are usually active only at night.

• SRC Member
Reef2, same experience with the p.shrimps from LCK. I bought 4 of them and they dissapeared without a trace a day or 2 after.

Are the ones from ML a diff species?

Can p.shrimps co-exist with blood shrimps and cleaner shrimps?

i got 3 cleaner and 2 fire shrimps in my tank. at 1st i thought too that this is the problem, but if the ML one can survive, then my reasoning is wrong. ML one looks the same as LCK.

• SRC Member
Reef2, same experience with the p.shrimps from LCK. I bought 4 of them and they dissapeared without a trace a day or 2 after.

Are the ones from ML a diff species?

Can p.shrimps co-exist with blood shrimps and cleaner shrimps?

Sure do! My peppermint lives well with my cleaner and blood. Three of three kinds. Live in harmony.

I'll share what I did before, but limited to small scale outbreak only.

If you can take out the rock, take out the rock and cover the aip with just table salt (cheaper :P) leave it for a couple of minutes, then drip some water on tope of the salt, make sure it is getting the super brine. Now comes the revenge time, presse your finger on it hard and rotate on the spot, make sure it is grinded off the rock as clean as possible. Add more salt to continue burning the remains, leave for a few minutes. Then drip a few more drip of water to let it enjoy another round of salinity shock.

It didn't appear any more.

far from the most effective and efficient method though. :)