cloudy water

• SRC Member

hi guys,

i'm in the process completing the setup for my 2nd tank. after 3 weeks of i've noticed that the water is still cloudy. I'm not able to see any debris or whatsoever...

my old tank's water is crystal clear but this is not the case for the new setup. is there a something i should look out for ? couldy water could mean something ?

regards,

Eric

• SRC Member

Ok, so you had a marine tank before and it was all ok...

The new one is still cloudy after 3 weeks. What sand are u using? what filtration/ skimmer are you using (cannister, sump, what media?)

Was it cloudy from the start or did it get cloudy overtime?

this info could help analyse the problem...

• SRC Member

hi Domino...

everything is the same with the old tank. the only diff is that... the new tank comes with DSB. 100Kg of sugar fine sand. well.. for 1 week.. i thought it could be due to the tinyparticles that has not settled in; But, after 3 weeks... doesn't seems normal to me...

salinity is @ 1.025. Too much salt ? some precipitation happening here ?

I have a sump wand i put a cotton?/filter to trap debris...

• SRC Member

i'm not too sure... it could be the return pump as i'm using md-55 as the return pump. i've split it to 2 outlets. so far, i can see that the sand bed has been "shaped" by the water movement. it has stopped shifting.

so, i don't think it's the water turbulence that is causing this... moreover.. i couldn't see any tiny particles floating around...

• SRC Member

Eric,

You may want to try this. Take a clear glass and scoop a glass of water out from the tank, and sit the glass on the table for about 1-2 hours. After that, observe and see if there is any sentiment or precipitate at the bottom. If yes, check what it is, and if it is fine sand, then your return pump may be too strong, you need to spread your flow more evenly.

If the cloudiess in the glass persist, then may be you have some DOC (dissolved organic compound) in the water due to some previous died livestock and it cannot be cleared since the bio filtration is not matured yet. In this case, just wait for another few weeks and it will slowly clear away.

Good Luck,

Patrick

• SRC Member

guys...

thanks for the tips... hmm... quite a smart way to determine what is causing "cloudiness?"... :) will try to do that... maybe for a start.. will use more sponge/cottonfilter to remove the tiny particles(if any)....