Tap Water or processed water

• SRC Member

Hi Forum,

I am going to fill my tank with sand and water this weekend. Mine is a FOWLR with a few fishes and maybe some softies using LR and protien skimming for filtration.

Should I invest in a RO/DI unit or just plain dechlorinated tap water to mix my salt ?. I stay in the south of Singapore :lol:

Thanks.

Tap water probably ok, for now.

If you only have FOWLR, the water quality does not have to be as stringent.

You can buy Phosphate remover, to minimise algae blooms. This can be put in a net bag and placed in the sump, or there are cannister things, that can be seen under the DIY forum.

OR,

you can buy sea water. It is pretty cheap. I am opting for that for water changes. Saves a lot of hassle.

• SRC Member

You can buy Phosphate remover, to minimise algae blooms. This can be put in a net bag and placed in the sump, or there are cannister things, that can be seen under the DIY forum.

OR,

you can buy sea water. It is pretty cheap. I am opting for that for water changes. Saves a lot of hassle.

Save a lot of hassle but nv know what diseases or nutrients may be containing inside the seawater..........example..........ich?

Eric

• SRC Member

OR,

The word "probably" will probably make blackpuma wonder again...............to use or not to. :lol: A more distinct answer to his question would be good ;)

Bro, using tap water is alrite. Juz remember to use product like Seachem Prime/ Nutrafin to remove chlorine and chlormite from the tap water. Nxt, is to cycle ur tank together with ur LRs. Dump in phospate remover frm start like wat Tiny Tears mentioned is greatly advisable. Save u the hassle of hair algae problem in future but this phospate remover need to be replaced preiodically.

Regardin NSW, IMO as long the water doesn't come in contact with any LS from the LFS they r safe. But luggin home bags or containers of NSW r back breakin. :pinch: Juz buy marine salt and mix better. ;)

Check out the sticky for more info bro.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Like jd_n said, tap water with Seachem Prime would be good enuff - just try not to use Nutrafin Aquaplus, it tends to bubble alot, and can even color yr make up saltwater if u dont let it bubble off for awhile before mixing.

RO-DI might be more suited for use in countries where the tap water tends to be full of sediments, esp in less built up places, where the water tends to sit in the pips for some time. That is why u see alot of pple in other overseas forums advocate the use of RO/DI

In sg where the tap water doesnt contain as much physical impurities (the chemicals are still there, no doubt, which is why u need a water conditioner), the cost of a large enuff RO/DI unit, and its subsequent replacement filters shld be carefully considered.

Also, RO water is soft, so its PH buffering quality will be slightly poorer when used in the marine tank

Hope i was of help