Comments on resun chillers

shoelevy

• SRC Member

i saw from the poll that quite a large proportion of people use resun chillers.

i'd like to get one too but i'm not sure if they're good.

can anyone who know them give me your comments and opinion on anything such as power, efficiency, reliability etc about this brand of chiller?

i reckon u get a good chiller, dun be like me..... tank crashed due to faulty chiller and i hv lost abt 90% of my sps worth at least 3k. There r reliable brands like teco, pacific coo, daeil, etc juz to name a few.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Atman. Hmmm.... remembered someone was comparing the Atman to the Artica and conclusion was it takes 10 yrs to recover the cost of the artica vs running the Atman.

Found the thread at

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=15571&st=60

Not trying to add oil onto fire but a reliable brand chiller is very important. Best is to get a backup on standby ready to run but how many of us are doing that?

Maybe I should look into a 1/4hp or 1/3hp artica set to 27.5degs on standby just in case. When no accident happen you never regret but when something goes wrong you would wonder why you did not do that.

• SRC Member
i reckon u get a good chiller, dun be like me..... tank crashed due to faulty chiller and i hv lost abt 90% of my sps worth at least 3k. There r reliable brands like teco, pacific coo, daeil, etc juz to name a few.

What kinda fault on the atman chiller? Pls elaborate farther.........I'm using a atman chiller now, dont wan to walk into ur footsteps.........

Eric

• SRC Member
Atman. Hmmm.... remembered someone was comparing the Atman to the Artica and conclusion was it takes 10 yrs to recover the cost of the artica vs running the Atman.

Found the thread at

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=15571&st=60

I think in terms of numbers the cheap Atman/resun chiller does make sense. I'm not one to comment on the realiablitiy of china made chiller as you will be surprise how well made some of the china products are.... :o

The thing that i have with the cheap chiller or for that matter branded high HP chiller is the among of wattage they draw....our lights are already drawing anywhere from 150 to 1000++ watts....if you add a chiller that draws 650w...then chances of powertrip will be very much higher...it will be a case of penny wise but pound foolish...

• SRC Member

Just got my resun chiller cl450 from 84 at $330,i use it for my 3x1.5x1.5 so far for the first day i find it good enough for the $ i paid.

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

• SRC Member
Maybe I should look into a 1/4hp or 1/3hp artica set to 27.5degs on standby just in case. When no accident happen you never regret but when something goes wrong you would wonder why you did not do that.

i think a cheaper was is to connect a temp controller to the lights and high wattage pump and automatically cut of power to these devices when the temp goes above certian treshhold..a backup chiller might be a over kill...

i think a cheaper was is to connect a temp controller to the lights and high wattage pump and automatically cut of power to these devices when the temp goes above certian treshhold..a backup chiller might be a over kill...

Our bro kanna chiller failed during the night and the lights are not running. Getting a cut off relay for the lights would not save his tank.

Maybe the artica or dailea a bit too costly for backup, a resun might be good too.

In the case of power trip no issue as you should already have a UPS to run a small powerhead to circulate the water :P Lesser heat load as well.

You could always go for the lower hp ones so they draw lesser electricity :P

What kinda fault on the atman chiller? Pls elaborate farther.........I'm using a atman chiller now, dont wan to walk into ur footsteps.........

Eric

what kind of fault??? i oso dunno, i m in jepun........ :angry: heard that the compressor juz broke down for no reason........ my next setup, i m going for 2 1/2hp chillers (run both)........ :P

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I've been using a resun CL650 for a few month now and quite satisfied. Again, it's a cost issue... It's OK for the $$.

Our bro kanna chiller failed during the night and the lights are not running. Getting a cut off relay for the lights would not save his tank.

Well the worst case senario is when the MH lights are running and the chiller is off... During the night the lights are off, temperature would rise of course but not as dramatically as when the lights were on. The point of the relay is to "buy a few extra hours" to minimize damage I guess.

:off: Anyway, were can we get these "water temperature protection relays"? I'm installing my MH soon, I'm interested.

• SRC Member
shoelevy....

what size is your tank? what lightings are you using? what are you keeping within the confines of the tank itself?

my tank is 4ft by 2ft by 1.5ft. i put in 200L of water. so far i only put live rocks but i'll be moving in the direction of anemone and corals. also, i haf a few damsels inside. my lighting no troubles, its a 9500K 36W flourescent.