Do people clean LR?

So I am a newbie ;).

And I went and bought LR from number of shops.

When all the particles finally selttled down, I can see that there are all sorts of cobweb-like stuff floating on the rocks.

So my question: Is there a way to clean it or should I take it all out, stick it in a bath tub of saltwater and use a toothbrush and lightly brush it? Once its out of the water, you can't really see all the floating 'stuff'.

Any suggestion? Use a hose and vacuum it?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

when i bought my LR , i first put them in a pail of salt water n clean the surface of it n into my tank :)

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

sure people clean live rocks.

i'm quite certain many do.

but the way to clean it is really contraversial.

personally, i jet the live rocks with tap water to get rid of the surface dirt.

then i immerse the rocks into a pail of tap water for 5 mins to get all the stupid bristle worms out.

then i put the rocks in. this method kills almost all the bad stuff but the good stuff too.

but don't worry cause usally the good stuff grows back...infact, i've used this method all i still get lots of cute tubeworms and star fishes attched on the rock into my tank.

the other method is to brush the rocks while they are immerse in a pail of salt water similar to that of your tank. success of this i wouldn't know.

hope this can help!

the cob web thing u mention seem to be die off ... not to worry as u will some during cycling ....

just siphon out the web ... as for mi i dun 'clean it ' as i dun see the point ... just siphon out the debris and web u deem fit ... ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

My tank is 3 weeks old.. taking it slow. Got 2 red sponges and 1 turtlegrass that i thought was sea plants lol. No fish or corals yet till my tank is 100% confirmed 'perfect' for fish and corals.

This cobwebby stuff are stuck to the new set of LR i added a few days ago. After I landscaped, I took a good look at it and found little strands of white stuff and other 'debris' of sort...

When I look at some nice tanks, I just don't remember seeing all these 'dirt' on other people's rock.. so I think other people probably cleaned it while I just plonk mine straight into the tank lol.

Ah well... guess I will try to siphon it out. A question on siphoning: I siphon as part of water change right? If not how do the water get replenished in the event I do a major cleaning/siphoning?

I am trying to get everything sorted before adding fishes.

Thanks all for your replies.