Daeil Chiller

sugi

• SRC Member

Hi,

Need advise on this chiller daeil chiller on its performance.

Currently my tank is 4ftx2x2 with 3ft sump.

AT this moment using RR 0.5HP and it is good enough to bring down temp

to 24 C when using 2x150W or 1X250W configuration.

But i set the lowest end temp to 25C to save power.

Temp diff between Tank and chiller only 0.5C.

Recently, I fix 2X 250W and 1X150W.

The chiller is unable to bring down temp below 26C.

It is working very hard due the heat from the MHs.

I am planning to change to Daeil chiller.

The 1/3 HP power, is this the bigest unit for indoor type ?

DBM-250 1000L @25C

Is the above chiller able to cool my tank ?

• SRC Member

First thing, why you need to set temparature at 25C? SPS actually grow faster at a temperature of 27 to 29 C. Normal operating temperature would be 26C which your tank temperature would be 26.5C give or take some error in the measurement. You are wasting a lot of energy by bringing your temperature down to that level.

Secondly, I highly recommend Daeil, based on my personal experience. I think the indoor model has up to 1/2 hp. Check with supplier. I'm using the 1/2 hp outdoor model, and cooling down time when full lights on is 45 minutes. I have about 860W of MH and T5 combine. Got mine from Henry at ML. Cooling your tank will be no problem even with a 1/3 hp, just the run time a little longer.

• SRC Member
First thing, why you need to set temparature at 25C? SPS actually grow faster at a temperature of 27 to 29 C. Normal operating temperature would be 26C which your tank temperature would be 26.5C give or take some error in the measurement. You are wasting a lot of energy by bringing your temperature down to that level.

Secondly, I highly recommend Daeil, based on my personal experience. I think the indoor model has up to 1/2 hp. Check with supplier. I'm using the 1/2 hp outdoor model, and cooling down time when full lights on is 45 minutes. I have about 860W of MH and T5 combine. Got mine from Henry at ML. Cooling your tank will be no problem even with a 1/3 hp, just the run time a little longer.

Alfa, Scarab,

You got a good question on the low temp setting.

I bought this RR chiller, from the so called Dr.Chilled and he fix it for me.

He say the temp setting is to be set at 24 because the temp sensor is at the coil

and temp diff between coil and actual tank temp will be 1C. :angry:

SO after awhile I reset the minimum temp as it is a waste of power.

Now after putting the new MH, chiller will stay at 26.2 and very difficult to bring down. In fact almost impossible unless when the MH is on.

This mean that is MH on for 8 hours, chiller will turn on for 8 hours continuous.

Electricity bill will be super high !!!!!

Considering to do minor renovation to my 2.5 years old punggol flat.

So might be making new tank with built in cabinet. With this configuration,

I can place the chiller facing the window. So need to plan to buy proper equipment.

Ok... I will aim for daeil for next chiller...

• SRC Member

I ordered a 0.75HP Pacific Coo this week... since it is a custom job, it will only be delivered two weeks later. The Pac Coo people are kind enough to loan me a 0.5HP chiller for temperory usage since I have sold my Teco.

Did some time measurements on the Pac Coo last night:

Water Volume:

Main tank = 3' x 1.5' x 2'

Sump = 2' x 1' x 1.5'

Lighting = 2 x 250W MH

Supplementary lighting (T5) = 2 x 39W (negligible heat i guess)

Submersible pumps= approx. 100W

All lighting and pumps were operating during duration of test

Starting temp at time of measurement = 27.5 deg C (10.00pm)

End temperature = 25.0 deg C (11.55pm)

time taken taken for 2.5 deg C (27.5 -> 25.0) drop in water temp = 1 hr 55 mins. Thats pretty solid right???

prehaps you might wanna consider a pac coo as well.....

• SRC Member
I ordered a 0.75HP Pacific Coo this week... since it is a custom job, it will only be delivered two weeks later. The Pac Coo people are kind enough to loan me a 0.5HP chiller for temperory usage since I have sold my Teco.

Did some time measurements on the Pac Coo last night:

Water Volume:

Main tank = 3' x 1.5' x 2'

Sump = 2' x 1' x 1.5'

Lighting = 2 x 250W MH

Supplementary lighting (T5) = 2 x 39W (negligible heat i guess)

Submersible pumps= approx. 100W

Starting temp at time of measurement = 27.5 deg C (10.00pm)

End temperature = 25.0 deg C (11.55pm)

time taken taken for 2.5 deg C (27.5 -> 25.0) drop in water temp = 1 hr 55 mins. Thats pretty solid right???

prehaps you might wanna consider a pac coo as well.....

the weather these days are much cooler so the test may not be accurate for a hot day. when the room temp is >31 deg, that's the real test.

• SRC Member
On 06/08, temp measurement completed as follows:

Starting temp at time of measurement = 28.0 deg C (10.25pm)

End temperature = 26.0 deg C (10.27pm)

Ambient temperature at start and end of measurement period = 32 deg C

Rate of change in tank water temp. = -2 deg C / 2 hours...

Bro, you sure or not?

2 mins can cool 2 degrees ah? (10.25 pm to 10.27 pm)

• SRC Member

the 1/3 shouldnt be a problem. i tried both the 1/3 and 1/2 on my 5ft. i am using 2x250mh & 2x54watt t5 antinic on a 5x2x2.5 with a 3.5x1.5x1.5 sump. the 1/3 took just over 1 hr to cool by 1 deg and i set it to 24.5. i settle for the 1/2 hp cos it only took 1/2 hour to cool by 1 deg and drop the temp below 25 with ease. I didnt choose the 1/3 cos it was only a slight improvement from my 1/2hp techo and i wanted big in case i upgrade tank or change to 400watt lighting :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I am a newbie. :huh: Plan to order a 4ftx2.5ftx2.5ft with cabinet and 3ft sump. Thinking of getting Daeil chiller 1/4hp chiller.(indoor) Any one knows the current price for Daeil 1/4hp chiller and how many watt do this unit consume??

Thanks Thanks. :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

Sorrie sugi, i used your thread. :lol::lol:

Wow . That a lot cheaper compare to arctic 1/4hp. . Any reefer, daeil consume same (low watt) as arctic ????

Any negative factors for daeil compare to arctic ??? Is daeil 1/4hp enough for 4ftx2.5ftx2.5ft with 3ft sump ???

• SRC Member

yah...daeil is cheaper than arctica..

1/4 shld be enuff i guess....unless u using super strong MH..

of cos ventilation, pumps and other equipments used will affect the chiller..

but maybe go for 1/3Hp safer?

just a couple of hundreds more..

its very efficient..

• SRC Member
Sorrie sugi, i used your thread. :lol::lol:

Wow . That a lot cheaper compare to arctic 1/4hp. . Any reefer, daeil consume same (low watt) as arctic ????

Any negative factors for daeil compare to arctic ??? Is daeil 1/4hp enough for 4ftx2.5ftx2.5ft with 3ft sump ???

Its ok.

I am saving for new chiller too.

And that would be my third chiller... :fear:

1/3 no more, I think Ivcap too the last one yesterday.

Is it you ? :D

Not too worry, new shipment coming this week.

• SRC Member

me ah?

whahah

dint know leh..

no worries lah...i think 1/4 also can work..i just kiasu..

if not for my room being poor in ventilation...i think it really is a miracle worker..

hope its trouble free from now...

• SRC Member
the 1/3 shouldnt be a problem. i tried both the 1/3 and 1/2 on my 5ft. i am using 2x250mh & 2x54watt t5 antinic on a 5x2x2.5 with a 3.5x1.5x1.5 sump. the 1/3 took just over 1 hr to cool by 1 deg and i set it to 24.5. i settle for the 1/2 hp cos it only took 1/2 hour to cool by 1 deg and drop the temp below 25 with ease. I didnt choose the 1/3 cos it was only a slight improvement from my 1/2hp techo and i wanted big in case i upgrade tank or change to 400watt lighting :P

Bro no offense but I find your results not at all possible.

A 1/3hp chiller manages to cool 1degree in a 5ft tank with 3ft sump in just 1hr? :blink:

Can you verify your ambient room temp, whether you are using alot of fans and whether the 1 degree is measured in the tank or from the thermostat reading of the chiller itself? I would say this is only possible for a tank in an aircon room.

I just want to highlight that you need to measure your tank temp for accurate measurement readings. And not read off from the thermostat of the chiller.

For example, many chillers use a small heat exchanger which stores very little volume of tank water at each time. As such this volume is easily cooled down very fast. But similarly heats up very fast too after the chiller cuts out.

Bawater was using a certain chiller brand (which I won't reveal here but its not daeil) which managed to cool his tank from 30 to 26 in just 40mins, and then cutoff. But after 15mins it would cut in again because the temp raised back to 30 very quickly. He suspected it was a faulty thermostat so asked me to change it for him. But even after changing to a new more accurate thermostat with 2 dec places, he still had this problem.

Upon further investigation, I realised it was due to the extremely small size of the heat exchanger (where water enters and exits and where the cooling coils are). Using too slow a chiller pump and because the inlet and outlet was very small, the flowrate was forced to be greatly reduced. Hence it gave a misconception that the tank was cooling very fast and the chiller was super efficient.

But when he used a good thermometer to monitor his tank temp, he found the temp had hardly moved a degree.

Do not misunderstand I am not saying any brand is good or bad here. I am just stating facts to prevent any misconceptions about the true power of chillers.

Its all a matter of thermodynamics. The performance of any chiller can be increased with better design but still it lies in a limited bandwidth for that horsepower.

Theres just no way a 1/3hp chiller can ever cool down a 5ft with 3ft sump tank using 2x250W mh lights. 1/2hp yes but will still run for about 5hrs at best unless the ambient temp of the room is very close to the set temp.

Many reefers have been buying under rated chillers because of this misconception thinking smaller the better and less cost. End up they regret and are forced to sell, resulting in loss of more money. I have a few friends who insisted the small chillers they use are effective and can chill down their tanks effectively. But later during the hot months, it starts to fail due to overwork and stress and never able to bring the temp down to the set point.

If you need to get a chiller, make sure you get 1 which is suited for your tank volume and heat gain needs. Otherwise, its better to just use alot of fans.

I am not trying to pull down or promote any brand. But I do not want reefers to be misled or have a wrong misconception about choosing the correct rated chiller to match their tank needs.

:peace:

• SRC Member

After reading this.... Headache !!!!! :pinch: ......

Haha, any reefer can advice me on chiller (low energy consumption) for a tank size of 4ftx2.5ftx2.5ft with 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft sump. Pls help me!!!!! :o

One thing i want to state is that the watt on the compressor is not the final energy consumption!!! Must include the coil fan watt etc. Thus eg: even arctic / daeil should consume more than 250watt. !!

A bigger hp compressor may require a larger coil and stronger coil fan!! Given a bigger hp compressor but with same coil and fan. >> Will defeat the purpose of larger hp compressor!!!! Further more the size of the small heat exchanger is another important factors to determine the efficiency of the chiller. Not just the hp of the compressor itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus larger hp chiller with bigger fan will consume even more energy!!! And we haven't look at the lenght of the cooling coil. !! Cookie munster has stated a important point for all chiller user to take point, study and comments !!!

For all resun, daeil , arctic and other chiller brand user, let do some discuss on this.... !!!!!!!!!!!!! :peace::peace:

• SRC Member

1. I don't have MH light but just T5s running from 11am to 11pm.

2. My current location of the chiller is a poorly ventilated area.

3. My chiller is a 400W 0.5RR with a 3600L 150W China make external pump.

4. My temp is set to cut in @ 28 and cut out @ 26. Interval is 2 hrs max. from the 2nd cut in from the first cut out. Takes 30mins + to chill the tank during daytime with t5s.

5. Tank is only 3.5' x 1' x 2', built in overflow system.

6. Monthly electrical bill with an increase of $30/-.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png