Protecting DSB Depth

Fishfreak

I am starting a new 3x2x2 softies tank in about two weeks.

In my current 4x2x2 FOWLR tank, I have a 4" 0 grade DSB and a black cuke. The DSB does a great job of keeping NO3 around 10ppm and the cuke turns and keeps the sand white and clean. However, the cuke also has the tendency of burrowing below the 4" mark. This, I understand, will disrupt the DSB's function.

I am planning to transfer the cuke to the new 3x2x2 with a 5" DSB.

Question: To keep the DSB depth at minimum 4", I thought of laying an eggcrate of something similar (perhaps plastic baskets with lots of holes) at the 4" depth then lay another inch over it. This way, if the cuke starts burrowing, it won't be able to go below the 4" depth. Does this make sense? Any downside to doing this?

Appreciate your feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks

FishFreak

A sea cuke does not burrow. It merely browses on the top layer of substratum. This activity is harmless to the activity of the DSB. On the contrary it might actually enhance the diffusion of water into the DSB by preventing the top surface from caking/clogging.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

FuEl Posted on Aug 9 2004, 02:23 AM

A sea cuke does not burrow. It merely browses on the top layer of substratum. 

OK. Perhaps 'burrow' is not the right word to use. Let's just assume the cuke I have has the habit of browsing lower than the top layer - does putting a barrier at the 4" mark help to maintain the integrity of the DSB?

Any harm with putting up such a barrier?

Thanks

Hmmm...they won't browse deep enough to affect the dsb negatively. I would'nt recommend putting a barrier as it can affect diffusion of water down the dsb..thus affecting dsb functionality. A barrier such as a mesh will have the tendency to clog over time too.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/