Chiller Problem

• SRC Member

i dun quite get it why everyone is complaining about the fast kick in/off if it is working properly, ie kick in at +2 above set temp and shut off once it hits set temp.

since resun is +2 before kick in, i am not particular if it kicks in or shut off the moment the threshold is reached unlike teco which seems to have a delayed kick in/off cos it is +1 and without this delay, it will definitely kick in/off very often.

cheers!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
its precisely the reason of it kicking in often that's why we think its NOT working properly!

haha

go measure the water temp lah... if the water temp is correct, then no problem with the chiller wat.

if you over spec the chiller, then it will take few minutes only to bring the temp down.

if you have lots of heat generated, ie ph, mh, etc then your water will heat up quickly and thus makes the chiller kicks in faster.

so u end up with chiller kicking in very often...

• SRC Member

shoelevy...i agree with u..

he dint get what i mean...

when i mean the water not chilled...i really mean the water not chilled...i dun give a damn what the chiller thermostat show..as long as my water is chilled...

the problem is that! the water is not chilled...i am not so dumb to rely on the thermostat alone..

i am using a thermometer to measure the water itself..

and the irony is: i am not using MH!

hope it clarifies some issues...

but gald that some reefers managed to cool down the water using this model..maybe just my luck...

• SRC Member

when i mean the water not chilled...i really mean the water not chilled...i dun give a damn what the chiller thermostat show..as long as my water is chilled...

the problem is that! the water is not chilled...i am not so dumb to rely on the thermostat alone..

but gald that some reefers managed to cool down the water using this model..maybe just my luck...

bro ivcap, i get what u mean with ur problem but not what the others have with their kick in/off often issue.

urs is basically a faulty chiller or maybe juz low on gas? i got this with my teco sometime back and after gas top up, working liao.

Hi Ivcap, sorry to hear about your chiller. I believe you have a RR right? Did you sold it off for the Resun? ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
update on my new cl-650. i set the chiller temp to match the temp in my tank using CA. temp set at 26 so chiller will kick in when water is 28. when chiller kicks in, takes less than 20 mins to bring tank temp from 28 to 26, water vol est 375l and this is with 2x250W MH on!

btw, im using rio 2100, rated 2600 l/h (or thereabouts). pump to chiller input has eheim tube of around 30"-36" with a UV light in between.

cheers!

Hi bro,would like to find out it take how long ur chiller start to kick in after cut off and how much u set for the CA setting to get the actual temp on ur main tank?

When ur chiller cut off whats the temp show in ur main tank?

Many thks :)

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

dun know what is wrong....that old man keep blaming my pumps for being too hot..

tats the rubbish u get from someone who know nuts abt fish keeping...he told me that himself...

i think this chiller is way overrated...

maybe for smaller tanks like 3x1.5x1.5...it will be good enuff...

but cos my tank is 3x2x2.5 and sump of ard 4x2x1.5....

but half my sump is empty anyway to stand by the backflow of the beckett in case of power trip..like this morning....

• SRC Member

Ivcap, your tank plus sump is approximately about 650L. If you add up the volume of your Fluidised Reactor and your Protein Skimmer, it is possible it is hitting the limit of your CL650 Chiller. Also, maybe you can test what is the temperature rise of your various pumps by running each individually in a closed loop in a large pail of water and measure the water temperature say after 15mins., 30mins., and 60mins. Then extrapolate the results with the total volume of water in your system and see how much the temperature rise if running without a chiller.

• SRC Member

Hi bro,would like to find out it take how long ur chiller start to kick in after cut off and how much u set for the CA setting to get the actual temp on ur main tank?

When ur chiller cut off whats the temp show in ur main tank?

Many thks :)

bro, i will keep time of it this weekend and update u.

cheers!

• SRC Member

Ivcap, ur max total volume is 420l (main tank) + 340l (sump) = 760l. even if u take out the live rock and sand bed volume, cl-650 is still over rated to handle 760l of water.

have they swop the chiller for u to test? best way is to do that OR put ur chiller to ur sump only, ie dun run the return and test the chiller cooling power cos my total water volume is around 350l and if the cl-650 cannot cool ur sump within 30 mins (my cl-650 can), then confirm chiller problem.

one more thing, is ur chiller very well ventilated? my teco used to lose efficiency if the area is not well ventilated. once i open the balcony window and door, then it is ok.

• SRC Member

bro, i will keep time of it this weekend and update u.

cheers!

Thks bro,will wait for ur feedback.Btw I got my cl650 about 3mth ago after upgrade from cl450 to cl650.I am hving the same problem like every 15min kick in for 5min but no problem on chilling.I notice that the temp display on the chiller is diff from the tank actual temp.I use to set the chiller temp at 28 but when the chiller after cutoff the temp in the tank show 27-27.5.I though my thermometer is faulty so get another digital thermometer to test,to my surprise the temp display on the digital show 26.5-27.Now i set the chiller temp at 27 and CA setting -1 and see any improvement.

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

let me explained what i have tried..

i have tried opening windows and blowing fan towards it..

it cant go below 26

thats why i feel its overrated...

and this was done without T5 being switched on..

thats why i recommned it to be used on smaller tanks..

• SRC Member
Ivcap, ur max total volume is 420l (main tank) + 340l (sump) = 760l. even if u take out the live rock and sand bed volume, cl-650 is still over rated to handle 760l of water.

have they swop the chiller for u to test? best way is to do that OR put ur chiller to ur sump only, ie dun run the return and test the chiller cooling power cos my total water volume is around 350l and if the cl-650 cannot cool ur sump within 30 mins (my cl-650 can), then confirm chiller problem.

one more thing, is ur chiller very well ventilated? my teco used to lose efficiency if the area is not well ventilated. once i open the balcony window and door, then it is ok.

u cant calculate the total volume this way.. the sump may not be totally full.. it depends on the height of the baffles.. if the height of the baffles are only half the height of the sump.. the volume of the sump is greatly reduced..

• SRC Member

u cant calculate the total volume this way.. the sump may not be totally full.. it depends on the height of the baffles.. if the height of the baffles are only half the height of the sump.. the volume of the sump is greatly reduced..

im counting MAX volume juz to show that Ivcap actual vol will never be over the cl-650 specs.

• SRC Member

im counting MAX volume juz to show that Ivcap actual vol will never be over the cl-650 specs.

yah.. then u r right :D sorry sorry... haha

I estimate max 500l+ only...

Anyway, he tested using his sump only.. cant cool down his sump to 25

• SRC Member

i have calculated my total volume...

adr 500 at most..

my sump is only half filled as i have mentioned..cos of the design...the other half was catered as space for teh beckett backflow when power trips..

lastly..how abt LR and sand?

so die die at most 500 litres..

the hciller is able to chilll but cant chill down to 25...hence i felt its overrated too much...

they claim to be able to chill 1000 litres to 25....mine is at most 500 litres...

usually when they specs the chiller they run it without any heat load and the duration is like 16 - 24 hrs.

Example w/o heat load, running for 16-24 hrs to chill down to 25 degs.

The ambient temp also plays a part too, for all you know the test condition might have ambient temp of 28 degs so it's just a drop a 3 degs.