Calcium level too high?

releeps

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, got a question here...wat will happen if the calcium level in my tank is too high <_< if the pH is kept in the of 8.3-8.6?

Reason I ask is because I dont want to invest in a calcium testkit and just add the kalwasser and test using available pH testor.

Thanks in advance. :D

• SRC Member

i dun think by measuring PH u can get an accurate calcium estimation as they are of not much relation...

i suggest that u try to borrow it from a reefer...but the best would be to buy 1 set yourself cos u also need to calibrate to see how much kalk u need to dose...get the mini labour kind from our sponsor, its not as ex as salifert...and it is quite accurate according to the product review...

• SRC Member

Calcium

Calcium aids growth of purple, pink and green calcareous algaes, snails, hard tube worms and clams. Corals will open more and stay attached to their skeletons better, with regular use. If overdosed, the high pH of the limewater will rapidly convert much of the bicarbonate in the tank to carbonate, increasing the likelihood of precipitating calcium carbonate. Also, addition of solid lime particles can cause local extreme spikes in pH and calcium that nucleate precipitation of calcium carbonate. However, this rarely causes lasting harm to tank inhabitants (at least that has been recorded to date).

Hope that helps

• SRC Member
But will calcium more than 450 do anything bad to the coral or fish <_< ? Also my water is 32 degree celcius, any side effect? Thanks :)

your temperature is way too high...even for fishes...needless to say bout corals..corals will melt in your tank...if u are cheapo like me, use a fan...

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the advices :thanks: Fan ah, yeah loh...tink no choice liao...must buy...this hobby really required constant investment ah :(

Yes...now to tink abt it maybe temp too high...tats y coral nv open up...it has been like that since I change to a new T5 tude...tink it increases the temp too high...