my 2' tank....

• SRC Member

A possibility to as why corals turn brown is the lack of lighting but if lighting is of adequate intensity then perhaps it might be high nitrates that result in the increase in zooxanthellae in the coral tissues.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

i think the second reason could be the reason... my I'm using 1pc of 1.5' FL 15W 10 000k tube, 1 pc of 1.5' 15W actinic FL tube, and another pc of 18W 7000k PL tube, for just a 9 gallon tank...

i also found that there were some green colour "grass" growing on my LR, i think it is due to high "nutricien (nitrate)" in the water as well as some brown algea, a part of m sand also trun brownish... what is hapening??? my bio load is max??? ........

I'm praticing 10%water changing once every 2 week....... and

• SRC Member

hey hi hi tigershark,

may i know what filter or skimmer you have?

me also have a 2' tank but with live rock, plant, fish, shrimps, crabs and snails only. right nowi do 20% water change every change, thinking of changing water less but don't know can or not. thinking of changing water every 2 weeks like you do.

one more thing common, i also have 2.5' tank! but with plants and fresh water.

• SRC Member

I suspect it is the lack of light. No matter what the volume of the tank is, if there isn't enough lumens for the coral than there will not be enough. The watt per gallon rule is not accurate. Light doesn't suddenly become brighter just because there is less water. If I were to place a FL tube over a 2 foot tank with water and measure the intensity of the light at 6 inches from the tube, it is going to be the same as if I place the FL tube over a 12 foot tank at the same height and measure the light intensity at 6 inches from the tube. Watt per gallon can only be used as a very very rough gauge.

The coral might be surviving fine but for the colour to return, then it is crucial to provide more light. Coral pigmentation is proportional to light intensity.

For a 2 month old tank, it is normal to find that the algae is out of control, especially in a nano tank which is more delicate and less tolerant of lower water quality. I won't recommend adding too many snails to a nano, just keep up the water change and in time the algae will subside provided the tank is not overfed. Your aquarium with that Lionfish is at the max of bioload.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

thank's tanzy.... i will add another 18w 7000k PL tube to my nano... I think it should be sufficient....currently, i'm having 3 small turbo snail in there.... once i take out the lion and clown, i think the nitrate level should be under control.... right now, what i can do is extra causious with feeding these 2 fish.... i feed them once every 2 days only, 4 pcs of medium size pellets for clown and a piece of longkang fish for the lion....

• SRC Member
hey hi hi tigershark,

may i know what filter or skimmer you have?

me also have a 2' tank but with live rock, plant, fish, shrimps, crabs and snails only. right nowi do 20% water change every change, thinking of changing water less but don't know can or not. thinking of changing water every 2 weeks like you do.

one more thing common, i also have 2.5' tank! but with plants and fresh water.

bluebeard, i bought my skimmer from keong seong.... $12 only, if i'm not wrong....

u even owned a plant tank ahh!!!! that is very difficult to maintain man..... i've seen my collogue plant tank.... CO2, nitrate, bla bla bla.... damn challenging.... i might convert 1 of my 2' tank to plant tank...... but not so soon...

• SRC Member

I've never kept lionfish before so I don't know how to feed it properly but 'longkang' fish being a freshwater fish will not provide the correct type of nutrition for a saltwater fish. The clown should be fine.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

bluebeard, i bought my skimmer from keong seong.... $12 only, if i'm not wrong....

u even owned a plant tank ahh!!!! that is very difficult to maintain man..... i've seen my collogue plant tank.... CO2, nitrate, bla bla bla.... damn challenging.... i might convert 1 of my 2' tank to plant tank...... but not so soon...

hey hello hello tigerfish,

can the $12 protein skimmer work well??? i bought it before but it's not working well and so i went back to change to a more expensive one.

my planted tank nothing much la, i don't add CO2, just give them strong light and keep plants that don't really need added CO2 to survive. have lots of fish though.

• SRC Member

can the $12 protein skimmer work well??? i bought it before but it's not working well and so i went back to change to a more expensive one.

my planted tank nothing much la, i don't add CO2, just give them strong light and keep plants that don't really need added CO2 to survive. have lots of fish though.

you've got ur pm...

• SRC Member
I've never kept lionfish before so I don't know how to feed it properly but 'longkang' fish being a freshwater fish will not provide the correct type of nutrition for a saltwater fish. The clown should be fine.

well.. when i had my lionfish, i usually conditioned the guppies and mollies inside the sump (with a breeder net) and convert them into SW fishes b4 i dump them into the tank.. usually abt 1-2 days if i'm not wrong.. after that, can already.. and i dun feed a lot..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

It's not whether they can live in saltwater or not. It's the fact that they are by nature freshwater fish so they contain different proportion of nutrients and different types of lipids and proteins which saltwater may not be able to utilise or that the saltwater fish maybe not receive sufficient quantities of the essential nutrients.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

well.. when i had my lionfish, i usually conditioned the guppies and mollies inside the sump (with a breeder net) and convert them into SW fishes b4 i dump them into the tank.. usually abt 1-2 days if i'm not wrong.. after that, can already.. and i dun feed a lot..

convert it into SW fish???? they can tahan ahh?? o.k let me try it out, anyway, i still have plenty of those longkang fish, i think they should be as tough as guppy....

• SRC Member

bluebeard, not very sure why u cant receive my pm , maybe post wrongly.... btw, you're rite.... the $12 air driven skimmer simply useless, i've been adjusting it for 1 month ++ liao.... can skime anything at all.... just been too lazy to take it out.... currently use it as a air pump only :D ...

• SRC Member
It's not whether they can live in saltwater or not. It's the fact that they are by nature freshwater fish so they contain different proportion of nutrients and different types of lipids and proteins which saltwater may not be able to utilise or that the saltwater fish maybe not receive sufficient quantities of the essential nutrients.

I think I read from somewwhere that predatory marine fishes that feeds on FW fishes tend to demise early... autopsies on these fishes shows enlarge livers due to fatty content....

Have sopmething to do with the different fat and protein content between Marine and Fresh water fishes....

It is also indicated that different feeder fishes contain different fat content eg goldfish has more than guppies.....

But would be expensive getting a source of SW feeders...

so I feed mine with those FW shrimps as crustaceans are pretty near in composition whether they are FW or SW ........

• SRC Member

Just like to share some of my past Lionfish keeping experience. I used to love Lionfish, I have kept 3 in total over a period of 2 years, all having the size of 1 inch when bought. Begining I feed them with Tetra bits and dried Krill and they have grown to about 3-4 inch. Then I start feeding them with LongKang fish, guess what happen, all 3 of them in separate occasion, died. After reading up, find that Lion Fish cannot consume alot of these fresh water fish, due to the fact listed out by Phang. So watch out for the Lion fish diet :D

• SRC Member

I think I read from somewwhere that predatory marine fishes that feeds on FW fishes tend to demise early... autopsies on these fishes shows enlarge livers due to fatty content....

Have sopmething to do with the different fat and protein content between Marine and Fresh water fishes....

It is also indicated that different feeder fishes contain different fat content eg goldfish has more than guppies.....

But would be expensive getting a source of SW feeders...

so I feed mine with those FW shrimps as crustaceans are pretty near in composition whether they are FW or SW ........

phang, are u refering to those market prawn or FW live prawn from LFS??

• SRC Member
Those from LFS.... The closest to marine crustaceans unless you live near the beach... :lol:

but those stupid shrimps very difficult to keep leh.... everytime i buy $2/pkt.... if my cichlids cannot finish off within 2 days, most of the shrrimps will die..... dun know why...

• SRC Member

but those stupid shrimps very difficult to keep leh.... everytime i buy $2/pkt.... if my cichlids cannot finish off within 2 days, most of the shrrimps will die..... dun know why...

not onli FW shrimps are difficult, SW ones too... keep dying on me... urgh...

• SRC Member

try feeding with freeze dried krill....

for the FW shrimps... buy less and more often....

BTW, regarding the deaths, Did you feed oxygen to them???