My resun MD40 burned today

weileong

Was sleeping and my house trip then the UPS alarm sounded. Kanna wake up.

Home ELCB triped. The two circuit breaker outside my house also tripped.

Reset everything and check the reef tank. Found the resun MD40 very warm and not running anymore.

Took out my standby pump and also spoilt not working... how suay can you can?

Temporary T-off from my red dragon.

I am going to get a real iwaki soon.

So those using resun better take extra care. Heng the pump didn't catch fire cos it was really very very hot.

Good thing is everything tripped. That's is why I think chiler pump must always be same circuit as the lights so when either one trip the other one will stop too.

Actually the flow thru my dunso is very high so once any pump stop running the water level will drop in the overflow box and the dunso will be drawing lots of air and that will create a lot of noise due to the air being sucks in from the elbow and with that I know if any pump is not running.

I don't know how long the pump has stopped running but then the temp was at 27.8 degs (my chiller start running when temp hits 28 degs) when the flow thru the chiller was restored hence no harm was done.

Mr Murphy came two times this morning because the backup pump also not working.

Good he came today and not tomorrow :P Else emergency liao lol.

Here's what I think happened.

The bearing siezed in the MD40 and caused heating. Then the small cooling fan could not keep up with the cooling and the pump overheated. Then the thermal protection kicked in and stopped the pump.

If not I think already caught fire liao. Then news will have a HDB flat fish tank caught fire due to some china pump.

Now die die all things I buy must be branded and not cheap china clone liao.

Material for UPS? No have :P But seriously nothing happen no one worries, something happen then everyone starts to worry and wondered why I never think of this and that :P

Break your heart, spend some money for a APC smart UPS :P

This is the model (1000VA) I am using now. Roidan is using the larger 1500VA model.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techsp...se_sku=SUA1000I

• SRC Member

hmmm.......Danger.......I am using ATMAN pump for my return....scare scare...... :fear: .......trip or spolit nebermind.....but caught fire......I doubt......because the water runs into the pump right???!.......hmmm...... :erm:

Weileong....what is the logic behind this if I may ask? :huh: :

"That's is why I think chiler pump must always be same circuit as the lights so then either one trip the other one will stop too."

If for some reasons the pump overload and caused a trip then the lights will be cut off too.

The other way as many bro suggested is to install a relay to cut the lights off when the temp reaches a certain set point.

Alfa, if you look at the MD55 and MD40, are they similar? Noticed how warm the MD55 runs, even worst than MD40. But then I might be unlucky that's all :P

As I said, no more resun for me. I am getting a real iwaki MD40R :P

As I said, no more resun for me. I am getting a real iwaki MD40R :P

the price will be more than 3 folds as much, but well if u r able to sleep more soundly at night........ why not? :P

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

somehow the iwaki version of the pumps run cooler than the resun...eg

iwaki md55 vs resun md55....i touched the iwaki md55 at a fren's place before....warm but not hot...but i touched my resun md55 running one of my return pipes...it is very hot....

can be down to ..material quality......fabrication quality of the parts even though resun tries to clone the iwaki.

i opened both pumps before to kaypoh...the iwaki parts are very nicely fabricated and moulded....the resun parts seem more crudely finished.

:o Oh my God how can this kind of things happen!

Luckily Mr Murphy visited a pro, if not another case for the newspaper reporters. B)

Bro Weileong, sorry for what happen, glad that you have everything under control. Sorry I can't help much. :(

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I think soon we will see a flood of MD40 and MD55 at the sales thread..

i will be selling my resun md55 soon.....

scared liao....before this incident of md40..i have been using a 100W circulatory fan to blow the resun md55 from the back...yet still so hot...lol....

or maybe keep it for water changes say use twice a year since i changing water at about half year intervals....then my maid no need carry pails from the mixing tub in the bathroom and dump in the sump....i can use the resun md55 to pump water right to the sump for water change :yeah:

i wouldn't say it's a goodfornothing pump though...because it does deliver good water pressure....just that now this happens...there is a big question mark on the safety of the pump :erm:

actually now such things happening like a seized pump for a chiller or return pipeline...maybe if we use 2 pumps....the possibility of 2 pumps faulty at the same time is reduced.....Mr Murphy have to really work harder to create problems for us....

something i learnt last time...connecting pump in series....

post-17-1095410419.gif

I am going to run 2XMD40s....hope this is just an isolated cases.

many guys here have used these pumps for quite a while..........this seems to be the first case

i have been thinking....if it is the follower pump that is faulty....the first lead pump can still push water thru to spin the follower's pump impeller and bring water to the system.....but if it is the lead pump that is faulty...the follower pump may have to work harder through the *impeded* suction side to pull water....past the lead pump's impeller to draw water before pushing out to the system....

personally i dun prefer this pump arrangement in series

parallel arrangement.....

either one pump is seized...the other pump still pushes water through the pipeline without going thru the other pump.....

but rather than sharing the same return pipeline as shown...i rather have each pump to its own return pipeline..which is what i am doing now....my eheim1262 has the right side return pipe and the resun md55 has the left side return pipe....

post-17-1095410763.gif