Zeovit Review

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

finally found the time to add in the zeovit/zeobak/zeofood last nite. here are the parameters that i monitored.

a. phosphate (will check with red sea po4 test kit)

b. nitrate (will check with sera test kit)

c. skimmate (visual and based on observation)

d. clarity of water

e. condition of sps before and after

T+0: 2200 22 Sep 04

a. phosphate at 2 ppm (even with rowaphos!)

b. nitrate at 20 ppm (stable at 20 ppm for 1 week liao, previously at 40 ppm)

c. skimmate is good with ev-120

d. a bit cloudy

e. 50% of sps are brownish and only 1-2 pieces can see the actual colours

T+2

c. extra foaming at skimmer until overflow. reefers, take note. do remember to tune ur skimmer lower when u put in zeovit cos it will cause drastic increase in foam, thus overflow the cup!

d. water looks cleared but too early to tell.

:o my sun coral, which has never opened since day one in tank (>3 months ago) suddenly open big and nice! dunno if really becos of zeovit system but hey, this is my observation, not conclusion (take note!!!).

T+9: 0700 23 Sep 04

c. can see lots of dark skimmate on the rising tower. seems like i am getting more sludge per hour than before.

sun coral remains open!!!

dun ask me for other stuffs like pics, parameters, etc. if i got them, it will be here. if it is not here, means i dun have them.

oso this is my observation, not conclusion!

thats all for now.

cheers!

• SRC Member
finally found the time to add in the zeovit/zeobak/zeofood last nite. here are the parameters that i monitored.

a. phosphate (will check with red sea po4 test kit)

b. nitrate (will check with sera test kit)

c. skimmate (visual and based on observation)

d. clarity of water

e. condition of sps before and after

T+0: 2200 22 Sep 04

a. phosphate at 2 ppm (even with rowaphos!)

b. nitrate at 20 ppm (stable at 20 ppm for 1 week liao, previously at 40 ppm)

c. skimmate is good with ev-120

d. a bit cloudy

e. 50% of sps are brownish and only 1-2 pieces can see the actual colours

T+2

c. extra foaming at skimmer until overflow. reefers, take note. do remember to tune ur skimmer lower when u put in zeovit cos it will cause drastic increase in foam, thus overflow the cup!

d. water looks cleared but too early to tell.

:o my sun coral, which has never opened since day one in tank (>3 months ago) suddenly open big and nice! dunno if really becos of zeovit system but hey, this is my observation, not conclusion (take note!!!).

T+9: 0700 23 Sep 04

c. can see lots of dark skimmate on the rising tower. seems like i am getting more sludge per hour than before.

sun coral remains open!!!

dun ask me for other stuffs like pics, parameters, etc. if i got them, it will be here. if it is not here, means i dun have them.

oso this is my observation, not conclusion!

thats all for now.

cheers!

bro, maybe you should take a picture of the SPS in your tank...then over a period take some more....in that way we can monitor the progress of the system.....

I'm going down later to get a starter kit and try it out also....maybe all of us can compare notes a few months from now..... :D

• SRC Member
!@#$%

With all the discussions going on, very tempted to try myself... anyone can advise the cost for my 3x2x2 feet tank?? And where can I get the stuff? only at the blue signboard??

ur tank... juz get the starter kit of zeovit, zeobak and zeofood for $80. the zeovit is for 400l and ur tank is probably thereabouts but first time using is 1/2 the dosage. u can put the rest in after 4 weeks and they last between 8-12 weeks.

i estimate the starter kit of $80 can last 400l for 3 months... anyway, thats what i intend to do but not cheap.

on the bright side, u can do away with phosphate remover (think $85 rowa) and use only 10% of dosing so the total cost of using it not really high. so assuming u change ur rowa once every 3 months and you use 1 kg at a time, you actually save money!!! hahaha in theory... need to prove it out!

One more link on how zeoliths work as a filtering media

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/zeovi...ite_Filters.htm

guys...thought to extract this part out for your deliberation....

might want to consider this before switching...

For me ...I am starting out a new tank again...so hope it will be safer.

"The major advantage of these filters is also their major danger: They remove ammonium very rapidly and extremely efficiently. Although ammonium concentrations are never high (at least they should not be), it is a very important component in the nitrogen cycle. By removing it almost completely, all other processes will be influenced as well. When these filters entered the market, some people underestimated their effects on the overall chemistry of the tank. In rather old tanks with higher nutrient concentrations, the corals were well adapted to these conditions and the sudden drop caused massive die-off of colonies that had been growing well over decades. The corals starved and became susceptible to parasites and diseases. If the corals did not starve to death, the parasites killed them. It seems that tanks that have started with Zeolite filtration run very well and without major problems, while old established tanks are much more sensitive to it."

how abt the subsequent sps corals that u r going to put into ur tank after ur system has been running zeovit for quite sometime? acclimatize them as per normal?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
Yup, acclimitize as per normal... in fact new colonies should do better in the tank being filtered with zeolith as the water conditions are closer to the water where the colonies originate from like Fiji or tonga.. :)

unless it came from a reefer who never use zeolite or other methods, ie bad water condition tank! hahaha may have a problem there.

weileong, why dun put gac into FR? thanks!