comments on boxfish?

gerald28

hi im a newbie and i decide to keep 2 small boxfish however i found out that it is posionoius so i like to find out from fellow reefer is it worth to take the rish to keep them and how safe am i .(ps i had no problem with them from the previous tank but they died when i transfter them over so still decideing to buy them again a not)

tks

• SRC Member

Pls do not buy on impulse if u know nothing abt the fish, there are sufficient amount of info available on SRC and the web. If they are threatened or become overly stressed, they can exude a toxic substance that will kill everything in the aquarium. You can keep them but make sure that u wash your hands thoroughly after meddling with the tank. Do not keep with aggresive fish like triggers.

• SRC Member

What kinda tank are you keeping? A reef tank or a fish-only?

Personally i wouldn't risk a reef tank with these unpredictable creatures. Not only are they susceptible to attack and harassment from aggressive species, but also being slow swimmers, they tend to lag behind when it comes to feeding time.

But i suppose if you're keeping them all by themselves in the tank it's fine. :)

• SRC Member

boxfishes are fine as long as you do not keep them with other aggressive fishes that may threaten them. If they feel threatened, they will release toxins that will affect your water quality, probably killing all other LS in your tank.

• SRC Member

Then go ahead bah ....brave soul.

Haha good question. I am still looking for a particular type of boxfish: Ostracion Cyanurus/Ostracion Tuberculatum.

They are generally bluish in color with a little yellow and brown here and there. Very beautiful creatures. If anyone knows where I can get them, pls let me know. Tks!

• SRC Member
Haha good question. I am still looking for a particular type of boxfish: Ostracion Cyanurus/Ostracion Tuberculatum.

They are generally bluish in color with a little yellow and brown here and there. Very beautiful creatures. If anyone knows where I can get them, pls let me know. Tks!

hmmm... are you referring to the trunkfish? Is it the one that's more rectangular in shape than squarish? In which case i've seen one or two at Aquamarin (the jln kayu shop) a few weeks ago.. haha sorry i haven't gone to lfses recently so can't advise you on current stocks...

Personally i prefer the longhorned cowfish to the boxfish, esp the larger specimens whose horns look like TV antennae... think they all look very cartoon. :P

I've kept one before, which unfortunately succumbed to severe ich even before i could add him to the main tank... :(

• SRC Member
... Eat like a glutton...

I absolutely agree with that...

My cowfish then was already sick with white spots everywhere and yet he was still enthusiastically chomping away on those frozen bloodworms that i used to feed him. i'm quite sure most other fishes striken with ich will probably already be wasting away at a corner and won't bother with your food..

Which means a box/cowfish that isn't eating is definitely abnormal...