White Dots on wall of tank

• SRC Member
Just added some live rocks and realised that there are some white dots on the tank especially in the morning. When the light is on, these white dots just drop off into the sand. They also seem to be alive. How do I get rid of these little Dots?? :erm::sick:

If they move like a bunch of ants, they are beneficial pods. Good to have these. You can keep mandarins if you have enough of these to sustain their diet.

If they are stationary and if you have snails, they are possibly snails' eggs.

If they move real quick and literally zip across the tank, you may have isopods which are bad news.

Found some answers on the web.

Hope it is useful for those like me who wants to find out more about pods.

Pods

By: Adrienne Stanton

Copepods

Class: Copepoda

Order: Podocopedia

These small, usually 1mm or less, white or transparent crustaceans or “bugs” make up 90% or better of the zooplankton in the oceans. These are highly beneficial creatures that feed on detritus and plant matter in the aquarium, for instance microalgae. They are usually seen on the side panels and on the sand bed. They are considered an excellent live food source for small fish such as wrasses, damselfish and small angelfish. Since copepods feed on detritus and microalgae, they are somewhat helpful in keeping unwanted algae blooms in check. Their appearance in your tank means that you have a healthy system. They can often be seen at night with the aid of a flashlight.

Amphipods

Class: Malacostraca

Order: Isopoda

Amphipods are some of the most desirable reef tank inhabitants that hitchhike into our tanks on live rock and in live sand. Size varies between species of amphipod ranging from a few millimeters to a few centimeters. Most amphipods found in our tanks range in color from white to beige or gray, and all have the curved back and laterally compressed bodies. Amphipods are generally seen scurrying around on the sand bed and in and out of crevices of live rock. They generally graze at night on detritus and filamentous algae, diatoms and cyanobacteria. These too are often easily seen at night with a flashlight.

Isopods

Class: Malacostraca

Order: Isopoda

Isopods have a flattened oval body, typically no bigger than 1 cm in reef tanks. The color is usually a dull leathery gray. They can be found at the bottom of the tank scavenging for detritus and microalgae. There are parasitic isopods that attach themselves to the body surface of the fish and inside the fish’s mouth. These types of isopods are exceedingly rare in captivity, but if found such occurrences can be cured with the use of treatments that include organophosphate (e.g. DTHP; Neguvon, Masoten, Dylox).

Just one curious question to go with this thread.

I believe these beneficial pods can serve as natural food for some fishes. But I never seemed to see them in my tank which is already half a year old. :(

Is there any particular condition that will help to promote the growth of these pods? Thanks :)

Just one curious question to go with this thread.

I believe these beneficial pods can serve as natural food for some fishes. But I never seemed to see them in my tank which is already half a year old. :(

Is there any particular condition that will help to promote the growth of these pods? Thanks :)

some of these guys r real tiny, barely visible to the ###### eye and most of them feed at night when the lights r off. that's one of the reasons why u dun c them.

feeding phytoplankton will help the cultivation of pods in ur tank. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

some of these guys r real tiny, barely visible to the ###### eye and most of them feed at night when the lights r off. that's one of the reasons why u dun c them.

feeding phytoplankton will help the cultivation of pods in ur tank. ;)

Thanks alot :lol: