Can I ......

can i put tang together with sps corals will the tang peck them?...BTW can i have anemones put together with the sps corals?as i am afraid tt the anemones will sting the corals..... :thanks:

Nah tang only feed on algae......... Saw many gurus tank with a few tangs in them and nothing happen to their beloved acros

just to add...anemones move around alot too..so they might just go on a rampage and kill your sps...not a recommendation.... oh, i'm a student too!!! understand your woes..got my 250w almost a year ago...save up i guess...for the love of the hobby.. but i got it 2nd hand from a close friend....was a steal

"Save a reef, grow your own"

Ok ok guys ... I don't quite think people here are interested who introduced whom here.

Well, you are both here now; so lets get back on topic (which incidently is vague, I'm surprised you haven't been dealt the 'heavy hand' yet)

Anyway, how old are your tanks? And what are the equipments and water parameters like? SPS keeping are for advanced reefkeepers only, or those who have deep pockets to deal with the attrition from these high demand corals.

I hope you have done your research, but I've kept an LPS tank for 8 months and I'm still having problems. Probably won't be going into SPS until I'm ready, and that maybe in another 6 months or so.

frankly speaking.....my tank is only one month.....but i intend to buy a chiller first...then a mh.....then i will add in mushrooms first...then sps...but i might not have enough fund so can anyone help me to find 2nd hand products??? ThAnKs if anyone will help me.....BTW can anyone teach me how to save on the unnecessary things....and for ur info , i haven bought anything but a tank, live rocks, and pump.....(intend to build a sump, but dunno wat to buy first)...my budget is only 2k , tt all i can afford...thanks..... :thanks:

• SRC Member
frankly speaking.....my tank is only one month.....but i intend to buy a chiller first...then a mh.....then i will add in mushrooms first...then sps...but i might not have enough fund so can anyone help me to find 2nd hand products??? ThAnKs if anyone will help me.....BTW can anyone teach me how to save on the unnecessary things....and for ur info , i haven bought anything but a tank, live rocks, and pump.....(intend to build a sump, but dunno wat to buy first)...my budget is only 2k , tt all i can afford...thanks..... :thanks:

Dont mean to be rude . But maybe u should read up or pay a vist to other reefers tank to have a view of the different setup with different budget in mind. Plus read up or do a search on internet with any search engine like yahoo ..

2k arent alot or little if u ask me . As it depend of what would u like to have in your tank. But at the end of day u cant have the best of worlds.. As 2k for a fish only tank would be more than enough .. or just soft corals.. :)

u should listen to rumor and morgan advise :)

I do agree with woon ming....my pocket is more than a few Ks deep...but still wouldn't even think of sps.... for seriously advance reefers only.....(btw..nothing to do with morgan's title - snr reefer) ...listen to him...man knows the stuff.....

Actually before you start dumping all your $$$ on thinks into unneccesory stuffs...ask yourself what is your 'dream tank'.....if you see lots of LPS....extension moving gently along the current....sps not for you...

if you dream of AT's tank every nite.....sell your house and start building your sps tank lah......keke... :):D:P;):evil:

To keep an SPS tank specially acros require patience, interest to learn all about the hobby, experience up their sleeves and most of all must be able to provide and sustain the necessary equipment and operational costs that come with the territory.....

$2K is barely enough to start an SPS tank even if you DIY most of your equipment and you can find cheap good second hand stuffs to use. Aside from that you must be ready to set aside money for your electrical bill, additives, light change every 8-12 months depending on what type of lighting you use.

And last of all you should ask yourself do you have the passion to sustain your interest in SPS.....

If you answer no to any of the above, think twice before you commit don't just jump into the bandwagon just because you think its cool...

I only went to SPS after 2 years of keeping softies and LPS ...

To maintain a dream tank is not easy even for LPS let alone sps.

As what robe have said...S2k is bearly enough to setup a good sps tank not that we want to discourage you from going into reef keeping.

What experience you have with keeping corals in the 1st place.....the parameters you need to maintain and all the other stuffs that goes with it.

Would suggest that you gain some experience in keeping marine first then slowly progress from there.

Invest your $$$ in good quality equipment like protien skimmer and lights and also a chiller. Don't make a mistake of buying one that is just nice for your tank size......over size them. Upgrading your tank in the future will not cost alot since the equipment can still be use.

All this equipment will not be wasted if you decided to goes into sps later on.

Invest your $$$ in good quality equipment like protien skimmer and lights and also a chiller. Don't make a mistake of buying one that is just nice for your tank size......over size them. Upgrading your tank in the future will not cost alot since the equipment can still be use.

If SRC is around when I first started with marine. My store room wouldn't have all these junks now.... :cry2:

leeweixiang, listen to the old birds, you'll appreciate it in later stage. B)

If SRC is around when I first started with marine. My store room wouldn't have all these junks now.... :cry2:

leeweixiang, listen to the old birds, you'll appreciate it in later stage. B)

Your junk coulfd be other reefers' treasure....maybe can sell off your second hand stuff to some who are starting the hobby....I am sure they'll appreciate it... :P

Anyway....guys are not discouraging pple from keeping SPS in anyway....just stating the facts, committment, responsibilities, readiness and cost invloved.

:)

must talk to d_anthias...he is a student...just installed his MH...

Hahahah........ i just got mine from a fellow reefer................ yeah new bird talking, weixiang listen to those gurus and lao jiao heree, they meant well... I made a mistake of buying too many useless stuff due to the fact that i don't know there was a SRC forum........ BTW sps are not really suitable for you, they require tons of knowledge, a chiller and MH is not enough :):):) Even the well known achilles tang that need 1600watt of light :eyebrow::eyebrow: need to take some time before he fully convert his tank to a sps one........... Well join lps keeping, its fun too...........