You are right bro let it spawn, it will feed the corals. It circle

of marine life. :angel:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

She's beautiful !... truly.. thats a great looking pic.

My Jake is ok too... except.... for a spot appearing on the right side, in the middle... some of his scales there are off and I could actually see raw flesh... greatly sadden, but he still maintains his appetite. I think its some disease or a flesh eating bug... don't know what to do at this stage. :(

Anyway, I had better take this opportunity to put up a flag at the 6 mth point of going BB.

and its a white flag, cyano = 1 and reef = 0.

Had to remove all the rocks for cooking as it was overun with cyano. most parts expose to light/incl. reflective light had cyano... Its an indication of excessive P... something I hope to battle without additives/equipment. I am trying to duplicate Bomber's BB tank.. except I have no sump (recently implemented one).

Well I'll post a pic of what it looks like later tonite.

• SRC Member

i just wonder... how old is your LR? what was your pervious set up is like (use of kalk as top-up etc) that causes your LR "store" so much "P"?

my tank is ssb and i have very low P and N but i still have macro algae growing all over my LR. i have tried stop using kalk now... but just wonder, by cooking LR, will the "storage" of P being removed completely?

:off:

your avatar :yeah::blink: very nice colour :P

me also mad about mac :P

age.png

• SRC Member
My Jake is ok too... except.... for a spot appearing on the right side, in the middle... some of his scales there are off and I could actually see raw flesh... greatly sadden, but he still maintains his appetite. I think its some disease or a flesh eating bug... don't know what to do at this stage. :(

If nothing else works for Jake, you might want to try beta glucan on him.

Spoke to Anthony Calfo the last time and he said that it did cure a fish that was sick for a year (but the fish was eating. sounds like your case)

• SRC Member
and its a white flag, cyano = 1 and reef = 0.

Had to remove all the rocks for cooking as it was overun with cyano. most parts expose to light/incl. reflective light had cyano... Its an indication of excessive P... something I hope to battle without additives/equipment. I am trying to duplicate Bomber's BB tank.. except I have no sump (recently implemented one).

Well I'll post a pic of what it looks like later tonite.

Perhaps you might try to stop dosing kalk and try other form of calcium.

Strangely, I was also battling with cyno once, but after putting a chevron in there, it was gone. I know it sounds silly or it was just sheer coincident that something else had actually happened in my tank.

Ever since the chevron went into my tank, it started picking on the rocks and nibbling the sand on the sand bed. No more cyno since...

Wonder anyone else have the same experience?

• SRC Member
i just wonder... how old is your LR? what was your pervious set up is like (use of kalk as top-up etc) that causes your LR "store" so much "P"?

my tank is ssb and i have very low P and N but i still have macro algae growing all over my LR. i have tried stop using kalk now... but just wonder, by cooking LR, will the "storage" of P being removed completely?

:off:

your avatar :yeah::blink: very nice colour :P

me also mad about mac :P

I had this LR since the tank was first setup in Nov '03. In the March switch to BB, all I did was remove the sand and did some rock blasting... didn't 'cook' them.

My theory on why so much P, was one... they were too nutrient loaded in the first place, 2nd, there was too many rocks... choking the flow, making it like a filter I couldn't clean with ease... I think they were dirtier than my canisters. The rocks became full, they leak out P, which the cyano take up easily. 3rd, I think must be the surface skimmer, which while the tunzis created a great deal of flow, not much got to places where they can be exported, the canisters were cleaned once a month.

If you cook your live-rocks, they will be rid of P... jus have to do them properly.

pic taken some-1 mth back.

PS: what about the macs?

post-34-1127398652.jpg

• SRC Member
bristletooths are excellents algae eaters but at the same time they are super heavy bombers :P

Jus after two day of placing them in this blue tall container, the whole water stank... had to do a change, and what I found was a thick layer at the bottom, abt 1 cm, dead stuff, mainly BS worms, couldn' believe that there were so many.

setting up for rock cooking again... don't know what the do with the rocks when finished.... does anyone one want to reserve cooked rocks from me after its done... maybe in abt 2 months time.? :rolleyes:

post-34-1127399287.jpg

• SRC Member

Jus to end-off this update with a pic of the current setup. May still make a few placement changes, but it looks there. Very bare looking, almost ######. Most the the SPS are not epoxied and are standing in-btw edges of rocks. Design and flow such that there will be little detritus trap.

pls feel free to ask or comment, pleasant or otherwise... hey hit me with your best shot...

mm

post-34-1127400839.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro simon your rocks not cooked mah...so need to siphon out till the day when there is no more.Its more of sand like particles than detritus.Detritus collects at places where flow is very low only.Are you Blasting your ts24 at full power when pulsing :evil: Share with you part of my tank base.My rocks not cooked also. :off: Siphon everyweek at specific spot as all gather at one spot only due to high flow.Ivan your new scaping looks great!

post-34-1127403931.jpg

• SRC Member

jus implemented since Sunday lah... thats why still so clean looking...

I use to set the tunzies on alternating to blow from the front to the diagonal back corners... causing the detritus to collect at the front centre of the tank.

I'm trying different now... see pic above... not sure if it'll work well... but hoping that most will go to overflow with the current arrangement.. the tunzi setting is place on sequence flow, two pumps is connected to no.2 and no.3...but basically there will be a few minutes where there is completely no flow(no1).. followed by right pump only, then left one(while right is still on) than back to no flow... and so on.

• SRC Member

ciaolong, thx. Are you in East Perth? I luv it there, so beautiful... can't believe how thay transform the place... our own Clarke Quay trying mimic it.... but no way can compare.... there was this old man fishing there and he had half pail of sliver bream and some flaties.. good size ones too.

CR... thank you. I'm hoping it'll remain cyano free.. as I did not cook the current rocks long enough... still alot better looking than when I first bought them, but there are still some small patches of cyano, here and there on them.

• SRC Member
I noticed my LR shred a lot during the first 2-3 weeks and now almost like nothing already.

Eventually coraline will start growing on the bottom.

Yeah, they shed like crazy for a first few weeks... after that most of the detritus is mainly snail poo. I hear that most animals only process abt 10% of what they east and return back 90% to the system.. so must find a good way to rid this poo, esp snails poo.