Sugi's Tank

sugi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Almost 2 weeks already and did water test today.

PH: 8.1

KH: 11.8

CA: 480

Phosphate: 0.03 (Almost 0)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.1

Nitrate: 2.5 ppm

Should complete the cycle soon since Ammonia is 0 and

nitrite already at the safe side.

• SRC Member
excellent photography

Thanks bro.

But I am still in the learning process for photo taking.

Once tank is fully stock up, I will get a better lense and macro lense for my camera.

Using Cannon EOS300D whith cheapo lense.

I believe the camera can perform much better results than my current std. :D

very nice pics sugi...

get the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens if u want to do alot of macro photography...

one of the best macro lens for canon...very fast AF speed and very good picture quality.

i may join the canon family too after my trip back from Japan in december.

targetting 20D with the 17-85 EF-S lens as walkaround lens and the 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens for fish photography :)

• SRC Member
very nice pics sugi...

get the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens if u want to do alot of macro photography...

one of the best macro lens for canon...very fast AF speed and very good picture quality.

i may join the canon family too after my trip back from Japan in december.

targetting 20D with the 17-85 EF-S lens as walkaround lens and the 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens for fish photography :)

Roidan,

That lense must cost a lot. :o

I prefer to spend on corals. :D

Reason why I buy cannon because my cousin, a professional photographer,

use cannon equipments. He many sort of lenses.

If I need good lense and macro lense, I just borrow from him for a week.

:lol:

This way I can use my money for my reef hobby.

The current lense that I use is the std package.

Not too bad for normal scenary pictures.

20D..... :o

That is a good camera....

Go for it Roidan.

• SRC Member

Last night, my skimmer waste collector was flooded again.

My skimmer return pipe has many twist and turn before landing to the sump.

This cause the skimmer water level to be eratic.

I was advise to modify as plan 1 in the picture.

But I have restriction putting T pipe as it will hit the ceiling of the bottom cabinet.

My new plan no.2 but I am not sure if this will help/work

Anyone has try this before ?

post-34-1098322892.jpg

• SRC Member

I am running a Beckett skimmer too with identical design to that of plan #2. Compulsorily, you need a end cap with a hole drilled (similar to the Durso design) to keep your water level consistent. Whether you opt for Plan #1 or #2, it still works. Hope this clears your doubt. ;)

• SRC Member
I am running a Beckett skimmer too with identical design to that of plan #2. Compulsorily, you need a end cap with a hole drilled (similar to the Durso design) to keep your water level consistent. Whether you opt for Plan #1 or #2, it still works. Hope this clears your doubt. ;)

Thanks, I will work on this plan.

Rgds

• SRC Member

"Make sure the input plumbing has enough slack (or a union) such that you can get the top off of the input column to clean the Beckett as needed.

For the output plumbing, you have two choices:

Inside the sump: If you can locate the gate valve at the water level, or if your water level in the sump never changes due to evaporation, you can run without any extra plumbing. If your water level does change at all, the output of the skimmer must be above the water level at all times. Come out of the gate valve with a male pipe thread (MPT) fitting, then go to a Tee that is vertical. On the down side of the Tee, install a short piece of pipe to direct the water down to below the water level of the sump. On the up side of the Tee, install a 3” long pipe with a cap on it. VERY IMPORTANT: Drill a 1/4" hole in the cap. Without this hole, the plumbing will create a siphon, and it will be very difficult to keep a consistent water level in the skimmer. Again, the hole is there to let air in to the output plumbing, to prevent a siphon.

Make sure there is enough head-room to remove and re-install the skimmer cup.

Outside the sump: The skimmer must be located so that the output plumbing never reaches higher than the anticipated water level in the skimmer. For all models, that is 2” or more below the main flange on the main tube, depending on how dry you would like the foam to be. Place the skimmer in a secure location and plumb to the sump. Most all sites will require the use of a Tee as described in the above inside the sump instructions. This Tee is important, don’t forget it.

Install a short length of hose on the air intake valve to help silence it. You can also install an air filter to this hose if desired. Contact us for more information."

An extracted installation instruction from "Barr Aquatics" website...... help youself :idea:

• SRC Member
Why do you need the cap in the first place?

Bro alfa,

I think the cap is just to prevent water splashing. Am I right ?

I did the plan number 2 just now and I do not put the end cap cause I do not detect water splashing.

But seems like it does not work.

May be the reason, the outlet pipe is too long as it is submerge into the sump water. I have to find ways to make it short.