Help on Skimmer

BlueKing

I bought a skimmer with out pump some times ago; but just can't figure out how it works? I am using a wooden-air-bubble skimmer. And, heard that water pump base skimmer is better; so, I went and bought one - wihtout instrcution manual.... Just wonder, without any bubble how can the skimmer works? Any idea? Pls advise. Thanks! :)

• SRC Member

If it's new skimmer, it need to break in. It might take 3-4 days.

If you don't want to wait for that, I was advised that wash with HOT WATER before using it.

If it's new, you need to show pic.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I bought a skimmer with out pump some times ago; but just can't figure out how it works? I am using a wooden-air-bubble skimmer. And, heard that water pump base skimmer is better; so, I went and bought one - wihtout instrcution manual.... Just wonder, without any bubble how can the skimmer works? Any idea? Pls advise. Thanks! :)

water pump based skimmer uses water force to inject air into the skimmer. the air injected comes in the form of bubbles... voila u dun need air pump. this is called venturi skimmers and they comes in many types like:

1. normal venturi. eg weipro, macro, etc.

2. special venturi like beckett, mazzei, etc

3. needle wheel... air sucked in is further chopped up by a special impellor. eg H&S skimmers.

4. spray injection. this is not really venturi. u juz shoot water into a pool of water and the turbulence results in foams (instead of bubbles). eg AquaC.