shrimps and crabs

i cannot find the pic on the web leh. if you can send me a site with lots of shrimps pictures maybe i can find.

have pincer like freshwater ghost shrimps

it's legs are purple, body is transparent.

size around humpback shrimps.

why i say it looks similar to harlequin shrimps is because it got white patches which are similar to harlequin shrimps.

i also don't know by from first sight, it looks like harlequin shrimps to me.

by the way, i went to Kwang's on Saturday, they got harlequin shrimps at $15 but now still got stock or not i not sure, saw 4 that day eating starfish!

That's an anemone shrimp.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Octopus don't live long at all and the blue ring would be dangerous to keep in inexperienced hands. I think you might try www.tonmo.com .

A word of caution, those anemone shrimps don't seem to live long in the tank because their bodies become whitish and they become more sluggish and die after a few weeks. It might have been my nitrates or the temp change though.

• SRC Member

hehee.. thanks.. i don't think i will be keeping octopus but just curious, where to get the $2 live bait octopus? now my tank got more crabs and shrimps than fishes! don't want anything to eat my shrimps!

as for the anemone shrimps, i don't think i will be buying them anymore, actually 1 already die :( my 2 matched boxing shrimps seems to be attracking anything in the tank. i also don't know how the anemone shrimp die but don't want to try anymore. now still got 1 anemone shrimp left but it don't seems to be doing well also although my other shrimps are all doing well, almost everyday sure got a shrimp or crab change shell!

Kwang's haven't been stocking anemone shrimps leh, in fact they don't have much stock these days. even last week when i go, they only have new stock of fishes and hingeback shrimps only, nothing much. i still waiting for them to stock new kind of shrimps.

ehee.. so bawater, how's your visit to reborn? bought any sea horse? pacific also got sea horses.

• SRC Member

hello!

i have been reading up on shrimps and crabs, they need iodine when they change shells and protein skimmer will remove a lot of iodine.

and also some other articles also say that there is no need to add iodine as they are already present in their food.

but to be safe, i'm thinking of adding iodine as my tank got quite a lot of shrimps and they change shell quite often. how to add iodine ah? is there any additive on sale out there? which one is better?

• SRC Member
hello!

i have been reading up on shrimps and crabs, they need iodine when they change shells and protein skimmer will remove a lot of iodine.

and also some other articles also say that there is no need to add iodine as they are already present in their food.

but to be safe, i'm thinking of adding iodine as my tank got quite a lot of shrimps and they change shell quite often. how to add iodine ah? is there any additive on sale out there? which one is better?

Only add iodide and not iodine as they do basically the same thing and iodide is safer. Iodine will quickly kill off your tank inhabitants if overdosed. I think Seachem's Potassium Iodide should be good, i believe Barra uses that? If you want to add iodide use only half dosage to be safe and NEVER EVER take a risk of overdosing it.

I haven't been to Kwang's a while, no time. Will try to visit it on tues afternoon maybe about 2-4pm. Sorry to hear about the shrimp, all of mine died. Some took less than a week while some took a month. I preserved the bodies in saturated salt(Still have them in a bottle :blink: )

Barra, Chemi-clean(same maker as chemipure, comes in little bottle at Sealife $20++) is touted as an excellent treatment for Red slime algae. You might want to try it though it is a little pricey. Reef safe.

• SRC Member
Barra, Chemi-clean(same maker as chemipure, comes in little bottle at Sealife $20++) is touted as an excellent treatment for Red slime algae. You might want to try it though it is a little pricey. Reef safe.

hrmm .. chemi-clean .. any idea which company it comes from?

• SRC Member

BB, I will. Anyway, i want to take pictures of the route to Kwang's and Kwang's itself for my website.

Barra, those products are Dick Boyd's (brand name). Apparently chemi-clean somehow binds up the nutrients from what i've heard. Although that may not be true, I haven't heard a bad word against it so you might want to try it if all else fails.

• SRC Member
BB, I will. Anyway, i want to take pictures of the route to Kwang's and Kwang's itself for my website.

that's great! must help them more!

i kind of know the owner's kids, used to be old classmates!

also don't know where Kwang's get his stock, his stock seems to be kind of different from other shops.

• SRC Member

BB i shall try to make a trip to kwang's tonite....look see.

was at pac marine & reefworld on sun .

yeh pac marine had seahorse-- they were H.heidi (reddish)from brazil, one of the most sought after & hardest to keep. $35 each.

instead i went over to reefworld & they had the common H.comes(tigertails)@$3

so i took the whole tank...abt 12pcs i think,it was 2 handfuls. sad to say only half have started eating.- mixing live BS,frozen BS,mysis & 1 or 2 feeder shrimp.

there are some mixes but yet to id the odd balls(there's also a giant one abt 8").

• SRC Member

bawater thank thanks, do inform me if Kwang's got any new shrimps. don't want to waste my trip tomorrow and nothing to see again.

wah you bought so many seahorses, keep them in a separate tank?

i cannot keep them with damsel and clown right? if ok i also thinking of getting one.

• SRC Member

BB, will try tonite. depends wat time i finish.

u can mix wif clowns....i haven't tried damsels yet apart from the one in my 4ft(seemed ok) but they won't be able to get enough food with damsels around. That's why i setup a 2ft just for horses.(got 2 common clowns wif them).

• SRC Member

BB- kwang got nothin new....same fishes as last week.

only shrimps i saw were cleaners.

new stock has lotsa eels(all kinds), a few picasso triggers,some common clowns & some seahorses(H.comes) but in very bad condition(nearly all had no skin on their tails, just bare pink flesh).

i came away with nothing.

new stock maybe end this week or next week.

• SRC Member

thanks bawater!

in that case i won't be going down tomorrow...

just lost a fire shrimps for no reason.... this one been in my tank for long time already... all the other shrimps are doing fine.. my guess is that it got attack by the boxing shrimps again...

a have a matched pair of boxing shrimps and they just produce eggs!!! maybe that's why they are so aggressive!

i don't think i will be buying any shrimps that are $5 above... got attack very often leh... i read on web, they usually say boxing shrimps attack their own kind only

right now me very tempted to get the orange leg hermit crab from hong leong!!! but $8 each and they look similar to my blue leg hermit crab which cost $3 each only!

• SRC Member
that's great! must help them more!

i kind of know the owner's kids, used to be old classmates!

also don't know where Kwang's get his stock, his stock seems to be kind of different from other shops.

The auntie is friendly and I like the fact that most of the fish look healthy. They are not very successful at keeping corals though.

• SRC Member
Ya, I went to kwang's today and nothing new. But I bought an Orca skimmer for $21.

hey give us a review on this Orca Skimmer ok? it looks good but i dare not buy last time.

i'm very very tempted to convert one of my 2.5feet tank into marine tank too!

• SRC Member

The auntie is friendly and I like the fact that most of the fish look healthy. They are not very successful at keeping corals though.

i didn't go kwang's today since bawater say there is no new stock but i will go maybe this weekend anyway.

i plan to buy a orange leg hermit crab from hong leong this thursday, $8 each. or 3 for $20, maybe anyone want to share with me? i only want to buy one only as i already got 2 blue leg hermit crab.