Help !!!! It Is Normal ...

lighthouse21

• SRC Member
Aiya...if you scared of overdosing..every week change 20% of your water can already. Newly mixed saltwater will help maintain the buffering capacity.

....... U overdose means overdose. change water immediately may not help at all in severe cases. let alone wait a week and change 20%.

lighthouse: just get related testkits and read the instructions on the box of buffer carefully. really straightforward procedure dun be too paranoid about screwing up

Lighthouse,

Buying mature water doesn't really help. What about your tank. Newly set up? Know about the nitrogen cycle?

Even if you get mature water, it will take some time for the 'beneficial' bacteria to build up to a sustainable level in your tank.

Recommend that you get a test kit for Ammonia, nitrate and PH at least. Let us know your water temp as well. Check these parameters first before we can advise further.

If you have no idea what I am talking about. Suggest you read the articles in the 'New to Marine Aquaria Hobby' thread.

If you are mixing new seawater, don't just use the water straight from the tap. Chlorine in the water can irritate and kill marine life. Its best to let the water stand in a pail for 1 or 2 days. You can also buy those tablets to remove chlorine form the water.

Lighthouse,

Buying mature water doesn't really help. What about your tank. Newly set up? Know about the nitrogen cycle?

Even if you get mature water, it will take some time for the 'beneficial' bacteria to build up to a sustainable level in your tank.

Recommend that you get a test kit for Ammonia, nitrate and PH at least. Let us know your water temp as well. Check these parameters first before we can advise further.

If you have no idea what I am talking about. Suggest you read the articles in the 'New to Marine Aquaria Hobby' thread.

If you are mixing new seawater, don't just use the water straight from the tap. Chlorine in the water can irritate and kill marine life. Its best to let the water stand in a pail for 1 or 2 days. You can also buy those tablets to remove chlorine form the water.

Why do people always think using mature water or sea water will allow marine hobbiest to add fish immediately

Why do people always think using mature water or sea water will allow marine hobbiest to add fish immediately

On LFS's advice of course.

When I first started out, the LFS also told me that if I want to get my tank up and running fast, I can buy mature water and live sand from him. This way the beneficial bacteria would already be in the sand and water, and the fish can survive.

My fish started conking off after a couple of days.

Well, lesson learnt. Newbies will almost always make this mistake.

:(