HELP: Percula pair are sick

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

Got a paired Percula on Fri. Yesterday both are fine and feeding. In the late evening notice one of them showing some abnormal sign - its pictorial fin is not open.

This morning woke up and saw the two percula swam near the water surface. Some white patch developed on their body too. Not feeding anymore :(

I know they are sick. But have no idea what illness is this and how should I treat them? Besides the clown, all other LS are doing fine and feeding happily.

Syndromes:Stay near water surface, labor breathing, shake body virgorously sometime, white patches, not feeding

What I have done so far:

20% water change

Added carbon in the sump

My Tank Spec:

Main Tank:2'x1.5'x1'

Sump: 2'x1'x1'

Tank age: 3 months

Total water volume: 100 litres

SG. 1.024

NO3: ~ 30 ppm

NH4,NO2: Didn't check

LS:

1 red scooter blenny

1 fire fish

4 ###### shrimps

1 blood shrimp

1 Sally Light Food

Corals:

3 Buttons

1 Leather

2 brains

1 bubble

2 sun corals

1 hammer

Few yumas

This is how they looks like yesterday evening.

post-21-1099207282.jpg

hmmm....I have been keeping my pair for abt 3 months liaoz...no anemone in the tank ...but doing well.

Do you have more info on that?

Could it be the NO3 instead?

• SRC Member

yes, it's brooklynella indeed. Unfortunately, one of them die already. :cry:

Bought Octozin from Henry at around 4.30 pm. Added the medication into the tank already. The remaining one is also not looking good, but it does seems to have recovered a little bit. Keeping my finger cross now.

In fact I should have acted much earlier and I could have save both of them. Bought it 2 days ago, still wondering if they are already sick in the LFS. Not really sure but will try to call up to confirm.

From the time the problem surface till the decease of my percula it took barely more than a day.. so reefers who has clown may want to keep this drug handy. It cost $14 for 21 tablets (1 tablets treat 22.5 litres of water, 3 doses spread one day apart are needed).

• SRC Member
hardly any cure for it. this cause by no anemone for them to play with. try buying a anemone for them to play.

both my maroon pair n true pair dun have anemone for few mths to play :ph34r: but stil survivng n growing at their own territory :P:P:P

• SRC Member

both my maroon pair n true pair dun have anemone for few mths to play :ph34r: but stil survivng n growing at their own territory :P:P:P

not all la. but is those that have it usually due to lack of anemone problem la. ;)

not all la. but is those that have it usually due to lack of anemone problem la. ;)

what justification is there behind your anemone claims?

my tank never had any anemones until three months ago, and my four clown fishes are still okay.

none of them go near the anemone by the way.

I ran my tank anemone-less for the first few months, coupled with a pair of True Percula Clownfish...also no such problems. (=

clownfishes coupled wif anemones, i guess is juz a symbolic relation. it is not a must have for any parties. my 2 true perculas r still surviving up to this very day despite a tank crash and wif no anemones. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Latest progress.. the 2nd clown die this morning. :(

Is that possible that I have got a sick pair from LFS? As clown are generally quite hardy, I don't really think they will caught this bug and die so quickly.

Anyway, I think I got to wait for few months to clear the patogen before adding new clown. Now can wait and shop slowly until I find a really nice and HEALTHY pair :yeah:

As for the need of anemone host, from variuos reference books, most clowns (except certain species, but definately not percula) can thrive without anemone. In fact I do read through many sites to be certain that this info is accurate as I don't intend to keep anemone in my tank.

Thank you all for your kind help and info/advise given. :thanks:

Sometimes these fishes are sick and stress when arriving to sin.i guess it is just unlucky of you to purchase them...The LFS shld know that these clown have diseases and shld not sell to you.Iresponsible LFS.Which LFS u bought from?

• SRC Member
Sometimes these fishes are sick and stress when arriving to sin.i guess it is just unlucky of you to purchase them...The LFS shld know that these clown have diseases and shld not sell to you.Iresponsible LFS.Which LFS u bought from?

Yes you are right that sometimes due to stress LS might developed sickness. I don't blame the LFS as they might not have notice it either. Will try to call them later to seek clarification.

Not good to mention the LFS name as this might jeopodize their business due to some unintentional mistake they've made. Further it could be due to my tank problem (though I don't really think so as other LS are doing very well).

Try Coral Farm if you are looking for Percula, give them a call and ask if they have new shipment of Percula as the remaining stocks 2 weeks ago are not very nice (my pair is not from there though).

• SRC Member

don't think anemone has anything to do with this. the closest connection could be that the clown *might* be less stressed if it has an anemone to hide in, which helps it to fight infection better. other than that, no basis for saying that a clown without anemone will be prone to disease.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

Some update. Got a reply from the LFS and was told that the pair were doing fine in their tank. Not blamming them as I mentioned the death could be due to many other factors.

Btw they promised to reserve and quarantine a pair for me if there's any shipment in the future (with good pricing). :yeah:

Very very good service indeed. :peace:

p/s: don't PM me and ask which LFS is that hor... else kanna flamed by the LFS when everybody starts to ask for good pricing... :whistle