How to bring fishes back from o'seas?

manta

• SRC Member

wat I do is to get a big tupper ware, put the plastic bag into the tupper ware and close it. Put the whole thing into your hand carry or check in baggage, both ways also can. Did the above twice when I carry fish back from HK. The tupper ware thing is to help contain the water if the pastic bag burst....

• SRC Member

I posted this info in another thread before. here you go:

With respect to AVA regulation, one can only bring in (as for individual used)

Fishes (non-endagered) - 30 fishes in not more than 3 litres of packing water

Marine Invert and softies - 5 kg total weight

Hard/CITES corals - 5 pieces, CITES permit required

• SRC Member
I posted this info in another thread before. here you go:

With respect to AVA regulation, one can only bring in (as for individual used)

Fishes (non-endagered) - 30 fishes in not more than 3 litres of packing water

Marine Invert and softies - 5 kg total weight

Hard/CITES corals - 5 pieces, CITES permit required

Hi. Thanks very much for the information. I did a search on AVA's site and found the link.

Here it is for our future reference:

"Traveller's Tips - Bringing Ornamental Fish into Singapore"

:)

I can imagine the face on the custom officer's face when you say... "I like to declare that I am carrying 5 pieces of live rock." and your face when he says "sure.... show me your CITES permit!"

LOL!!! :lol:

• SRC Member
Got stupid question to ask.

Go ahead and laugh  <_<  :ph34r: , but if the fishes are hand carried over, need to pass through the X-Ray machine? Any repercussions on the fish?

:huh:  :upsidedown:  :D

You can request not to scan your fishes ... I did that to my coral which I tried to bring in last time (confiscated :( ) at Woodlands Checkpoint.. just tell them you have got live marine fish in there and you do not want them to go through the X-ray scan. ;)

• SRC Member

You can request not to scan your fishes ... I did that to my coral which I tried to bring in last time (confiscated :( ) at Woodlands Checkpoint.. just tell them you have got live marine fish in there and you do not want them to go through the X-ray scan. ;)

:lol::lol:

pardon me but i find that wat u did was very funny.. its like bringing bubble gum in and telling the officers that u are bringing them in n requesting the officers not to fine you..

My fault.... I started talking stupid.... now super :off:

Anyway, sometimes perhaps silence can save you lots of time explaining. Don't think most customs officer can differentiate hard corals and normal softies. So to them, compounding the item would be the savest way to go.

:lol: Die.... seems like i'm advocating 'smuggling'..... :ph34r::fear: . Anyway, best way is to stay within the rules and keep whatever you are bringing over alive.

:peace:

Anyway, the topic is about fish.

Unless you bring in a sea turtle, a dolphin, sea horses and other endangered fishes.... AVA allows you to bring in most marine fish, up to the personal limit specified.

• SRC Member

thks for all the help and advice.

fishes in hkg tung choi st have tremendous coloration and are much more healthy than what i've seen in singapore. and i've been to most of LFS in s'pore. (work down the complied LFS list from SRC in my off days.)

i guess it is due to the greater trade and traffic thereby much higher turnover. like other trades in hkg, the fish trade there is vibrant and the community of enthusiats are many times larger than here(from the large crowd). every time i visit that place(at least 8 times this year), it's pack full of people. not just the shops(lost count how many), but the whole street!

though the fishes are a tad more expensive, i personally think its worth it. considering the variety, volume and range to choose from.

many many thks to all the ppeople who replied. :thanks:

cheers.

manta

(novice)

• SRC Member

:lol::lol:

pardon me but i find that wat u did was very funny.. its like bringing bubble gum in and telling the officers that u are bringing them in n requesting the officers not to fine you..

I didn't know that I need a CITES permit to bring in hard coral that time.. I thought it was okay since these corals are also available in the LFS here.. learn it through a hard way lor..

But if you are bringing in fishes or softies.. it shouldn't be any problem.. perhaps you can carry the print-out of what're permitted by AVA to show them for ease of clearance. In my case the custom officer actually called AVA to seek opinion.