New Tank up..

Lin

• SRC Member

hi hi..

My 2ft tank is undergoing cycle now, threw in 2 new and one old damsel.. when is best time to shift the rest of fish to the new tank? My old tank fishes is 2yrs le, u guys think i can put them straight in new tank in one wk time? advice pls.. :thanks:

• SRC Member

oops.. yup, suppose to use those damsel for cycling, and had used 20% of matured water in there.. i suppose tts not cruelty hor? :P so do i transfer one fish by one fish back to the new tank? those old sand still useable anot ah? :unsure:

• SRC Member

iyo.. cham nar.. then catch all them out ah? :P think will observe them again? they seems so happy in the bigger tank wor.. :P think will add my hardy fishes 1st?

• SRC Member

blue devil damsel will survive the spike

but u shouldn't haf used fishes for the source of ammonia to cycle..u cuold haf thrown in a market prawn let it rot or put liverocks in

die offs will trigger the ammonia spike tt will start cycling

• SRC Member

I used some of my older tank's sand, water, and filter media, cycle for a week then place 70% of my fishes in...till today still alive and kicking (flipping i mean).

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

u should dump in yr fishes after yr cycling is complete....to know wen complete....test ammonia and nitrite...after u see a peak in both and nitrite remains 0 for a week...then cycling is done and u can add fishes in.

but i would recommend 1 per week or max 2 per week

bro melvyn's wae of adding...dump one shot...ah........i don't recommend ah

• SRC Member

wow~ means if my fish is ok end of tis wk, means i can put the rest of those oldies in le? forgot to say, i got LR in there since then le.. duno wana say anot, later u all scold, i got my hermit in le.. oops.. =x pls dun scold me ok.. :pinch:

• SRC Member

So many "le"... doesn't sound like english :lol: anyway it depends on the type of fishes you have that you wanna transfer over...hardier fishes should not be a problem...if you are using matured stuffs brought over from your older tank. when i transferred over..it came along with 1 pacific blue (hippo), 1 orange shoulder, some clowns etc....after 1-2 weeks added some more uncured lr (small quants) then 2 more tangs + other fishes and of course my sump filter media + h&s skimmer...

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

:D i suppose clown is hardy too? then will get my maroon over 1st? then my cardinal? then my dottyback? i suppose all these are hardy? hows it? oh ya, meanwhile cannot change water le rite? :unsure:

btw, tank has 20% matured water, shld not harm any of them ba? hmm.. lets pray nth happen ya? gee.. thks thks.. :P hope to keep u guys updated..

• SRC Member

Lets help put things in perspective. Your post quite confusing. :)

First of all, are your live rocks cured or uncured? and what is your current setup? If its a new cycling process, pls remove your fishes for the time being and let your new tank cycle fully. Its a really cruel process to subject them thru the whole process of cycling. So what if they are hardy?

Patience is the key to this hobby, we all want to see fishes kicking becos of the excitement, but in this hobby, you cant afford to rush. A tank that is not fully and properly cycled can create alot of problems for you later on.

What you really should do is this:

1. Take out your fishes now and put them in another tank/frens tank for the time being.

2. Add in a few kg of uncured live rocks or a small piece of market prawn to let your tank cycle FULLY.

3. The cycle kicks with an ammonia spike and ends when your NH3 and NO2 is undetectable.

4. Once you have tested and the parameters are as above, add in ur LS slowly. Like 1 fish per week or two.

Be a responsible reefer, if not u will end up killing more and spending even more. Its a steep learning curve, but i believe the best way is to learn right from day 1.

Ultimately, the decision lies with you. we are jus here to give our advices.

Peace! :peace::)

• SRC Member

Wow so many experts helping you ! sure can make it ! If you wanna be really RESPONSIBLE and safe, can wait till next year before you add your fishes. Have you seen lfs setting up tanks for people who can't wait to have their tanks set-up almost immediately? Upon complete tank set-up fishes are already added and they still survive...key is using matured stuff and good equipment also plays a role (i guess).

The above is purely my opinion and of course some lfs friends (experience) who have been shared with me in their setting up of fish tanks for almost 2 decades. So dun flame me :D

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Lets help put things in perspective. Your post quite confusing. :)

First of all, are your live rocks cured or uncured? and what is your current setup? If its a new cycling process, pls remove your fishes for the time being and let your new tank cycle fully. Its a really cruel process to subject them thru the whole process of cycling. So what if they are hardy?

Patience is the key to this hobby, we all want to see fishes kicking becos of the excitement, but in this hobby, you cant afford to rush. A tank that is not fully and properly cycled can create alot of problems for you later on.

What you really should do is this:

1. Take out your fishes now and put them in another tank/frens tank for the time being.

2. Add in a few kg of uncured live rocks or a small piece of market prawn to let your tank cycle FULLY.

3. The cycle kicks with an ammonia spike and ends when your NH3 and NO2 is undetectable.

4. Once you have tested and the parameters are as above, add in ur LS slowly. Like 1 fish per week or two.

Be a responsible reefer, if not u will end up killing more and spending even more. Its a steep learning curve, but i believe the best way is to learn right from day 1.

Ultimately, the decision lies with you. we are jus here to give our advices.

Peace! :peace::)

bro

u put it very well

exactly the wae i would haf put it if my eng were tt good

• SRC Member

Problem is sometimes we may be too careful....which may really be uncalled for, speaking of which attitude and patience must be supplemented with knowledge and common sense - kick starting ANN cycling with dead rocks and sand and "har bee" ?

Ok enough said and cheers ! happy reefing

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

pm'ed you

Sorry Lin for wreaking a little unpleasantness - alot of helpers for a "damsel" in distress :lol::lol: me excluded...

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Gee~ Glad u all willing to advice and help me.. i wana thks all for the golden advice :thanks:

sorry for all my confusion.. i hope i can explain more abt my tank oso.. but really hard to put to words sometimes, and sorry abt all the language and the grammar mistake i had used, pls forgives.. coz had used in online chats for a few yrs.. Thks with all my heart...i know all Bros here hopes and wish i can succeed too~ i m still learning day by day~ :(

Ok, here it goes, my LR are cured ones.. and my sand are new..i suppose my set-up is a simple one? had my skimmer runnning frm the start.. and had my 20% matured water in.. now those damsel is 4days and they look fine and aggressive most of the time neh.. so i shld carry on to wait for another wk to add in the rest of LS? :unsure:

• SRC Member

i'll pray hard for ur fish....

1154750779_a95e183733_o.gif

--Tank--

3.8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft - 12mm(Main) Ñ„ 3ft x 2ft x 2ft - 8mm (Sump)

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

• SRC Member

:thanks: Hope to keep u guys update.. btw, had nv test anything yet and hope to get my only coral in real soon, and see them all in the same tank again~

:peace: