no luck with tangs

ep4546

doesn't have any luck with tangs. when i have setup my tank i have 2 yellow tangs 2 mimic surgeonfish. 1 yellow tang jump out of my tank 4days after introduce into my tank and die. after 3week brought a powder blue but contacted white 2 days after introducing into my tank and causes my 2 mimic to die and powder blue die too but my yellow tang survive for 5week before it die off too. now just brought 2 pacific blue tang but it doesn't want to eat, worried that it will die too any good suggestion to make them it. 1 of them have contacted white spot and since move to the quarantine tank

Hi there!

Unless ya water parameters r good...I will suggest u keep away from tangs....especially powder blues....real prone to white spots...folowing closely is ya blue / hippo tang....

Can totally relate to wat u r feeling....had been thru this b4 in the past...

from experience...i personally feel that blue n powder tangs r best tried when ya tank is more than 3 feet....

In btw...may wanna try using brine shrimp to tempt ya blue tang to eat...once eating...can try soaking food in garlic juice...seems to work quite well for me in the past whenever i had white spot prob.

Best of luck.... :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

I think from my experience... only a couple of things kills tangs.

1. Not eating

2. Stress (fighting, freshwater dips, small tanks, bad shipping)

Healthy, eating, stress-free tangs can fight off ich and even marine velvet while newcomer tangs tend to succumb easily.

Good water parameters are a given for livestock.

What AT say is correct.

Surgeonfishes are very prone to stress. They also need alot of swimming space.

They are also very territorial (powder blue, brown, clown,achilles, sohal) new fishes will alway be attacked.

Try not to keep more than 1 if you have a small tank ie under 3'

Blue Tang are easier and can be keep in group but they grow very fast so space is important.

• SRC Member
...after 3week brought a powder blue but contacted white 2 days after introducing into my tank and causes my 2 mimic to die and powder blue die too but my yellow tang survive for 5week before it die off too. now just brought 2 pacific blue tang but it doesn't want to eat, worried that it will die too any good suggestion to make them it. 1 of them have contacted white spot and since move to the quarantine tank

I dont know if i lucky or wat, but since i didnt want the tang in my tank anyways, I just treated my new Blue Tang the 'freshwater' way...TONS OF Methylene Blue!!!

Only one spot of ich was left after the first day, and none left on the second...guess all that stuff everyone is saying abt Methylene Blue is true after all?

Maybe u want to use this solution for yr precious Tangs?

And like B|uEc@rpEt, I too used live brine shrimp to tempt it into eating... good thing LFS tend to sell them in packets nowadays...

Hmm, btw anyone have a 'tried and tested' way of cultivating algae for fish food? Or is there any commercial product i can feed the fish with to replace algae food? If so pls specify the name and brand, and where to get?

• SRC Member

mine is a good size(& i mean round)yellow & lives solely on frozen BrineShrimp/frozen bloodworms/live BrineShr & recently just started taking frozen Mysis- i put in a lettuce leaf abt once a month(this is mainly for fibre so it clears the digestive system)- u can watch how much poo comes out when it eats veggies.

american lettuce goes well,but local lettuce only get nips-

u can also try nori seaweed sheets from the supermarkets- blanched spinach leaves(pour boiling water over them) & cucumber slices.

eEEE...BAWATER....

so koe wat u mean....the amt of shit that oozes out .... :lol:

I used to have an algae blenny....which eats all my tank algae n my blue tang will follow him closely...n everytime the blenny shits....my blue tangs eats it...i think coz of its high algae content....

gross....

funny thing about my tangs (blue n purple)...is that i cun seem to get them to eat veg like lettuce....or any other kind...they seem most interested un mysis n brine.... ;)

ep4546...6 feet n still jump out? yikes! U dun have barracudas in there do u? :P

I'm gonna destroy my ego

• SRC Member

Lionel..

i dun understand how come your tangs (blue and purple) dun eat lettuce... mine are so greedy that they will rush to the surface even b4 i place the veggie inside.. and they can consume the entire bunch of lettuce within 1.5 days.. and yes.. the poo that pops out are like veggie.. and sometimes, my blue tang eats them back.. ultimate gross... :blink:

perhaps your fishes are spoilt by u??? u seems to feed them better food than u feed yourself.. hahaha..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hahaha Kel!

I cun help but to think about ya lovely tangs snapping all the veggie...when ever I see my tangs shying away from the veg...

Really wished they could behave like yours....

Ghee... :)

I'm gonna destroy my ego

• SRC Member

mine are pigs that are trying to bluff me into believing them that they are tangs... :D:lol::P

i try not to feed everyday already.. but.. :P can't bear to let my "pigs" go hungry...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

My tangs follow me whereever I go... I mean around the tank haha...

They get fed twice a day and love whatever I feed them...

freshly boiled vegetables (kai lan or lettuces), nori, mysis shrimp, flying fish roe, pellets.... just about any kind of food!

They are constantly swimming and love 'surfing' in the turbulent currents in my tank.

• SRC Member

no worries.. with the 6ft tank.. u be able to have abt 2 inside.. me have a purple and blue tang inside my 4ft... and a foxface too.. 3 of my largest fishes in my tank...