Time to change a MH bulb?

Fuzz

• SRC Member

Please advise on when should we change a MH bulb? As my main tank's water colour looks yellowish when the MH is turn on. in mu refugium, it is clear white. water perimeters are ok. Could my 14K Arcadia 150W MH be losing it's lumens? Or is there really that much algae in the water?? :unsure:

• SRC Member

I've bought it 2nd hand from SRC reefer here... told me brand new... I've used it for 1 month now colour changes...

I wonder if that is the cause of my clams dying... :off:

anyway, does anyone has encountered this problem before?

I've bought it 2nd hand from SRC reefer here... told me brand new... I've used it for 1 month now colour changes...

I wonder if that is the cause of my clams dying... :off:

anyway, does anyone has encountered this problem before?

Actually normally a MH bullb will last about 2500hrs (depending of manufacturer) which means about less than a year must change liao.

Shifting of spectrum have not been documented to be the problem of clams dying. But it does whoever causes algae blooms.

Normally, I will buy 2nd bulbs as spare. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
did u try placing with altinic blue lites? it'll make ur lite look "white" actually.

I have a 14K 150w MH arcadia , 2x 18w antinics and 2x 24w T5 ... but water in main tank now is yellowish tinge... anyone knows what's wrong? (But in the refugium where I have 2x PL lighting it looks ok) So I'm sure it is not the water but the MH bulb...

• SRC Member

The colouration may be from the water itself. If you do not use carbon, or the media is too old, there may be a slight yellow tint to the water. You can check this easily by placing a piece of white plastic/acrylic into the water and see the difference between the section in the water and the section above to see if there is noticable difference.

• SRC Member
The colouration may be from the water itself. If you do not use carbon, or the media is too old, there may be a slight yellow tint to the water. You can check this easily by placing a piece of white plastic/acrylic into the water and see the difference between the section in the water and the section above to see if there is noticable difference.

hmm... i'm not using any carbon but using rowas which I just changed about 3wks ago... maybe I will try to get carbon to try out if water improves... any recommendations for carbon? Can I put it into my Fludise Reactor? :thanks:

• SRC Member
You do have to be careful though...

Read that carbon do release phosphate or silicate (can't remember which).

All carbons leach PO4, just whether they leach more or less....

Just to be on the safe side, get some high quality carbon :lol:

Can I put it into my Fludise Reactor?

Better not, cos they are very brittle, in the long term, you'll find black specks on yr sandbed.. :pinch:

Unless yr sandbed is already black like Ckelvin's :yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member

ok thanks guys...

Just to keep track... here's a pix of the yellowish water before carbon usage. :unsure:

post-7-1099962459.jpg

• SRC Member

Yes... my Aqua C Remora has been churning out watery stuff alot... use to be that I will empty every 1wk... now i'm emptying every 1-2 days.... Is this a major problem? please advise :unsure:

• SRC Member
Fuzz, wats the color of the skimmate?

yellowish Green... but very watery... should I do water change? get better skimmer? add carbon? or what? What's the cause of all these? :huh::shock:

Yes... my Aqua C Remora has been churning out watery stuff alot... use to be that I will empty every 1wk... now i'm emptying every 1-2 days.... Is this a major problem? please advise :unsure:

Aqua C Remora churning out watery skimate means your setting is wrong bro.

I am using Urchin, the skimate that I yield is almost solid! ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Aqua C Remora churning out watery skimate means your setting is wrong bro.

I am using Urchin, the skimate that I yield is almost solid! ;)

hmm ok adjusted the cup higher now and wait and see... today alone, the cup collected 3/4 ... something is wrong... :(

:thanks:

hmm ok adjusted the cup higher now and wait and see... today alone, the cup collected 3/4 ... something is wrong... :(

:thanks:

How long you have been running your tank and skimmer?

Normally it will take a week or so for the skimmer to break in.

In however, you have been running for quite some time liao, you might want to shift the cup a little higher some more. Also, if you have run the skimmer for quite sometime you might want to clean the injector with the brush provided.

Another common problem with Remora & Urchin is that you have to ensure that the skimmer is upright and not slanted. Once it is slanted the injector will not spray effectively, lift up the collection cup and see whether the area below the injector is foamimg white if not, tilt the remora slightly to see whether it is better.

Once you have got the nityy gritty settled, your remora will be one of the best skimmer you will ever own in terms of performance and value for money.

Cheers, ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

My remora has been running for 8 months already...

cleaned the inside of the skimmer today...

also placed 1/3 of the carbon pack... within an hour, the yellowish tinge is gone! :D

thanks guys for all the advise... I guess rowas isn't enough... I will take out the carbon in a week's time and monitor...

• SRC Member
My remora has been running for 8 months already...

cleaned the inside of the skimmer today...

also placed 1/3 of the carbon pack... within an hour, the yellowish tinge is gone! :D

thanks guys for all the advise... I guess rowas isn't enough... I will take out the carbon in a week's time and monitor...

Er... Rowas absorbs PO4 and silica(or is it silicate?) only

Carbon absorbs the urina, trace elements/ minerals, toxics from the zoos.

IME: Use a small amt, and change often (~10days) :P is better than using a lots and change not so often... :peace: