Weipro 2012 for 55 gallon tank,enough or not?

• SRC Member

Dear all...

I want upgrade my tank from LPS to SPS. Iam using weipro 2012 driven with Atman 2000L/H. Is my skimmer enough to remove nutrient from my tank ?

as I read high nutrient can make our SPS coral turning to brown.

Please any opinion from reefers here. I am newbie in SPS keeping.

Please feel free of all your response...

Best regards,

Chefri

• SRC Member
how about AquaC ev-120 for 55 gallon to support SPS enough or not ?

yeah good enough cos i was using ev-120 for my 100g tank for sps and i kept 5 tangs and some other fishes as well. however, i did not feed the fishes and got slight nitrate problem due to their poo. skimmer is juz one part of the equation so do take note that u need all the other stuffs as well. it is not the holy grail.

cheers!

Skimmer helps to remove dissolved organics too. Keep in mind that the mucus released by corals are protein-based too and will break down if not skimmed out. The advantage of a strong skimmer also helps in a way to oxygenate your water sufficiently. Using a weipro, you must stock up VERY VERY slowly. And not to mention you won't even feel safe feeding your sps while running a weipro. A macro needlewheel skimmer or a mini-beckett skimmer is the least you should run.

Nutrient level is only 1 factor that will affect sps colouration and health. Other factors include stability in water parameters, lighting level and sufficient current (Avoid laminar flow, go for turbulence).

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/