monti cap...purple to brown

[JS]

,Nov 29 2004, 07:07 PM] when i get my monti is purple

but now brown....

What is your lighting?

Two things that comes to mind when monti plate changes from bright color to brown: 1. water nutrient level too high, 2. lighting intensity not enough (but need to do it gradually) , 3. specimen still adjusting to new environment, need more time. :P

• SRC Member

strangely sometimes montis do better in lower lighting conditions. (i.e. lower in the tank) but then it's not the case 100%. that bugger actually looks pretty healthy so i suggest u give it time and be patient.

i've come across sps that change form purple to brown and colour up strongly in abt 4-6 mths.

be patient dude!

cheers ;)

• SRC Member

Give us a better close up photos to see if there are any nudis on the monti. I do not suspect the nudis as the source of problem. But the change in water parameters. LFS's water is different from your home's so the change in water parameters might result in this change. I will prefer giving it some time to rest and get used to the surroundings before drawing a conclusion. meanwhile just give it sufficient TLC.. :lol:

Just my 2 cents worth... ;)

1. nudis do not change colour of the monti to brown....its eats them up...leaves white patches

2. its not LFS's water...most LFS dun keep corals of these kind(esp purple ones for more than a week) ......its the place they are harvested...our tank provided different light intensity and variant of spectrum from the natural setting....some or a lot of acros changes its colour (some turned brown) and usually followed by colour change after a few months.

Some acros will turn brown, then green/purple and the next colour may be quite different...depends on your light provision.

3. Comes to SPS...patience is the key. ;)

• SRC Member

wahahaha.. yeah the purple ones always kanna chop before i can see them. haha.. so yeah you are right DB, they dont last a week in their holding tanks.

But somehow i still think not just monti itself but acros do get affected by our LFS too. Not because they din take good care of them. But there are just something amiss or maybe too much in lights as well in the waters. Pls bear in mind tat i do not have concrete evidence for this view. Not until i get my air ticket to maldives and collect their water samples and water samples in bali and our LFS's water and run a series of ionic tests and experiments before i can deduce a conclusion. Right now, it is just an assumption! SO DONT FLAME ME! :evil:

I am not challenging everyone here, but a food for thought even to AT: " how are we sure tat the acros in our tanks are the actual colours of the SPS in their natural habitat? Do you all agree with me that they are just perceived colours given by our lights on the acros. therefore your purple acro might not be really purple in nature. But maybe of some other colours maybe purple with pink polyps and green tips (sounds nice huh? )?? " its not a challenge in tech or a question of the authority of the moderators. I just need a yes/no.. thanks

Just my 2 cents worth... ;)

dun worry...healthy discussion....dun be afraid of flaming lah. Everyone knows I am a tech dodo... B) (moderators are admin pple only)

I never believe we can provide the light provision exactly the same as the natural setting lah.

That's why when acros settled in tanks...they tend to change colour a little because of the light provision in our home aquarium.

turning brown is not as bad as bleaching or RTNs...so let it adjust and the colour should morph again.

regarding LFS...sorry to say....almost all LFS i have come across do not provide the ability to hold the SPS in tip top condition over a long time (except a show tank ;) and ...the nice purple ones are gone so fast before it could get cosy in a LFS holding tanks ;)

So main reason should lie in the adjustment it is making in hobbyist tanks. Can check out scarab's tank thread...he placed his monti rather low and has maintained the colour under his pheonix MH bulbs and T5s

OF course...tanks with high nutrient will also contribute to sps turning brown...some turn brown faster than other specimens

• SRC Member

hahaha.. okie! thanks DB. I will check out scarab's thread again! =)

:off:

But yeah, RTN i gotta agree is the worst kind of shi*t one can get for SPS. Uncurable son of the *duh*, unfortuantely, Nature has not found a cure for itself too.. so how can we Man ever do it? *yawnz*

:off: