Moorish Idol

• SRC Member

Aiyah...Didn't I say... It's my dream? At least...it keeps me thriving for the time being till it becomes a reality and let me refrain from shopping too often mah...Saving money for it. think by 2005, can do lor... :P

Praying hard...

Actually..if can, I rather live in the depths of the ocean. Everyday surrounded by fish and water...So therapeutic... :P

• SRC Supporter
wan,Sep 2 2003, 10:44 PM] actually, i did an "observation" of the moorish idol on tv or whatever.

have u all realised by now that it is used to living in groups? as in in the wild and everything, it schools, eat , play and swim tofether with the other MI.

ok therefore, i simply have this idea in my mind that if a MI was to be in a tank alone, it would like be sad or whatever without its same species "friends" and refuse to eat. maybe it pecks on the corals out of boredom.

i think the reason why the MI may eat at the LFS was becoz it had same species around it and it feel rather secure, safe. i personally classify this fish as a chim fish.

im now waiting for someone to take up the challenge to raise moorish idols in the tank. it might be a breakthrough who knows? something like moorish idols should be kept in threes or pairs so they wont feel lonely and eat? we could conduct an experiment know.. maybe get henry to help test.. like put 1 moorish if it dont eat put 1 more inside then try and try.. lol..

personally, i think the reason why MI may not eat in our tank may be because of loneliness, not acclimated properly coz it sees no friend around and stuff..

maybe some experts would like to try keeping moorish idols in numbers?

THE ABOVE ARE JUST MY 2 cents worth.

i rememeber reading up on magazines and the website,stating that morish idol normally swims indivdually and sometimes in a pair..seldom spotted them swimming as a school in the wild..

so isit moslty in a school or alone?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

They will school. Then when they find the correct partner they will pair off and get married. Something like the SDU here. :rolleyes:

IMO...should keep more than 5 if you can afford. Anything below that number might lead to intraspecific aggression as mentioned by someone earlier. Just like firegobies...I could never add another fire goby into my tank without it being wacked to death by the resident one. Guess the only way to do it is to add 3-4 new ones at the same time to spread out the aggression. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

moorish idol will certainly do well if given 30 metre depth tank... if there ever is.. i read somewhere maybe thats the reason it doesn't do well in captivity.. come on its deprive from nature's way for it to live his life...

better to leave them alone to the sea where they will thrive..

:(

• SRC Member

Have PMed you. But its not worth the try really.

Its quite heartbreaking to see it starve and die. It looked so emaciated goodness...

Sometimes we aquarists will think 'dont believe so difficult, maybe i will get THE special one that will live... but well, it just doesnt happen'

Well yahz~

My 2 cents...

• SRC Member
Have PMed you. But its not worth the try really.

Its quite heartbreaking to see it starve and die. It looked so emaciated goodness...

Sometimes we aquarists will think 'dont believe so difficult, maybe i will get THE special one that will live... but well, it just doesnt happen'

Well yahz~

My 2 cents...

Same sentiments...

Moorish...my all time favourite but only tried once in my three years plus of keeping marine fish...

Pls research more on it before trying...

It is indeed so depressing to see it dying... :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Yep...I did'nt even see mine die..when I woke up it died liao..1 day in my tank only. That time bought for $10 only. Think something fishy about the way it was caught? My tank was 2 months old already...then still die...Somemore there was nothing to bullee it...it was the boss of the tank...sigh... :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/